First Ride Thoughts

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally put some break-in miles on my sled this weekend (180km/70%break in left). Came from a 2019 Summit X 175 to a 2023 Summit 165 Expert Turbo.

Right off the bat the Turbo was the biggest difference which is to be expected. With the limiter strap in agile (I checked to make sure it was assembled properly) the sled is rowdy. Skis in the air and on the tail end. Climbed a bigger face and it was squirrelly all the way up. I’m sure with some rear suspension set up and in precision it won’t be such a rodeo.

Sidehilling was better but not a huge difference from my 2019. I kind of expected that, the 175 crossed faces easier than the shorter sleds and it had a locked out t motion. Found I could dig in deeper on the uphill side with the G5. Presumably from the tighter side panels and narrower a arms. Washout and skis pointing to the sky were non existent.

Straight up carving/boondocking seemed way more playful than the 175. Didn’t take much more than a dip of the shoulder and a lean and I had the sled on its side. I was still pretty hesitant to lean into it to much due to the low snow conditions. Lots of broken a arms in the last week.

Snow buildup on the boards were by the chain case and rear of the running boards. Overall I think it’s a solid win for Ski-Doo. Great step up from the N.A. G4 chassis.
4c7c1b86c46582a3367e13c8b687d973.jpg

f6df8ea5dc2dfbe52e66ea2dc09b3e88.jpg

2cd5eba6903036c59672a616eebdac4a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally put some break-in miles on my sled this weekend (180km/70%break in left). Came from a 2019 Summit X 175 to a 2023 Summit 165 Expert Turbo.

Right off the bat the Turbo was the biggest difference which is to be expected. With the limiter strap in agile (I checked to make sure it was assembled properly) the sled is rowdy. Skis in the air and on the tail end. Climbed a bigger face and it was squirrelly all the way up. I’m sure with some rear suspension set up and in precision it won’t be such a rodeo.

Sidehilling was better but not a huge difference from my 2019. I kind of expected that, the 175 crossed faces easier than the shorter sleds and it had a locked out t motion. Found I could dig in deeper on the uphill side with the G5. Presumably from the tighter side panels and narrower a arms. Washout and skis pointing to the sky were non existent.

Straight up carving/boondocking seemed way more playful than the 175. Didn’t take much more than a dip of the shoulder and a lean and I had the sled on its side. I was still pretty hesitant to lean into it to much due to the low snow conditions. Lots of broken a arms in the last week.

Snow buildup on the boards were by the chain case and rear of the running boards. Overall I think it’s a solid win for Ski-Doo. Great step up from the N.A. G4 chassis.
4c7c1b86c46582a3367e13c8b687d973.jpg

f6df8ea5dc2dfbe52e66ea2dc09b3e88.jpg

2cd5eba6903036c59672a616eebdac4a.jpg

did you happen climb that face with strap in the short position?

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you happen climb that face with strap in the short position?

No I didn’t but that was the intention after i initially climbed it was to change the limiter strap position and go right back up. But when I climbed it and went back down I took a look from the bottom and I exposed a lot of rock climbing the first time. So I chose not to go back up wanted to keep my new sled new once more snow falls I will play with the limiter strap settings on climbs

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m still waiting for decent snow to try mine.

Try to Turn in the clicker on the rear shock to prevent it from collapsing and wheeling.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m still waiting for decent snow to try mine.

Try to Turn in the clicker on the rear shock to prevent it from collapsing and wheeling.

Have the clicker on the rear shock half way. Will definitely try turning it up and see what difference that makes thanks

Hope it snows soon for you to get out and try the new sled they are awesome

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spring spacers, and run the springs on the tightesf setting. Works like a dam to settle it down when needed.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I asked already somewhere... Is there spring spacers for the G5 yet?

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spring spacers, and run the springs on the tightesf setting. Works like a dam to settle it down when needed.

My springs are on 1 never did change them I’m sure that had something to do with the sled being as rowdy as it was. Will tighten up the rear end a bit. Want to find that fine balance between rowdy and controllable

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should always go over your sled and do your own PDI.
I found a spare rubber piece in my belly pan, and I seen pics on S.W. where a punch was left in the pan along with a lower arm bolt that was not installed fully.

As a precaution for everyone, this is just what I noticed.
I thought the secondary helix screws and primary screws were very easy to break apart on a new sled. The helix screws, I normally need to remove the jack shaft heat them, remove with a impact, but they loosened very easily.

Top Bottom