you can put a deck on a 2015 f150......

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite.

So can you explain to me how an 8,000 lbs dodge dually( I am guessing at its weight) bombing down the highway at me pulling 30000lbs doing 100 kph makes more sense than an also legal 2015 F150 with deck and sleds.

I stand by which choice I think should be allowed on the road , and which should not.

Tapatalk HD for IPAD

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'll bite.

So can you explain to me how an 8,000 lbs dodge dually( I am guessing at its weight) bombing down the highway at me pulling 30000lbs doing 100 kph makes more sense than an also legal 2015 F150 with deck and sleds.

I stand by which choice I think should be a loud on the road , and which should not.

Tapatalk HD for IPAD

I never said an F150 can't haul a deck, if its rated for the weight then it can haul it, same with the dodge dually, these vehicles are designed by groups of Engineers that spend countless hours ensuring the truck is overbuilt enough to handle the loads they are rated for, they also have significant pressure from the legal department to ensure that the vehicle they put on the roads are safe and can haul their rated payloads and tow at capacity safely preventing lawsuits.

I have driven 1/2 tons hauling at capacity and dodge duallies towing at capacity and have never had a time when i felt in danger because the vehicle was overloaded. Now obviously towing 25,000+ lbs requires different driving styles and thinking but it can be done safely. There is no grey area for loading a truck, its either legal or its not, and safety should be thought of as being defined by the same bounds, if others want to think differently that's their problem, but if people can't comfortably drive a load then don't do it, that simple.

BTW i meant no attack on you, I just get tired of the made up definitions of hauling capacity when the true hauling capacity is written on the door or within the owners manual of every vehicle.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed, what I guess I was trying to get at is the uproar that comes up every time a thread like this comes up and everyone screams murder that a 4000lbs truck can't haul a deck and sleds.... even though this one now appears that it can, but nothing is ever said about the ratings of the 3500's, F350's etc. I have been in these bigger units hauling at capacity and it is sketchy as ?uck.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will take a 2015 F150 with a sled deck and two sleds on it any day on the road vs. a Dodge dually toting 30,000lbs down the road that it is "rated" for.....

Tapatalk HD for IPAD

How bought a GM, Ford or Dodge 3/4 ton with a deck?

Better to size properly than undersize in your half ton or oversize in a dually with a 30,000 lb trailer, ones a silly as the other.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed, what I guess I was trying to get at is the uproar that comes up every time a thread like this comes up and everyone screams murder that a 4000lbs truck can't haul a deck and sleds.... even though this one now appears that it can, but nothing is ever said about the ratings of the 3500's, F350's etc. I have been in these bigger units hauling at capacity and it is sketchy as ?uck.

Load it up and take it across the scales. 2 sleds, 2 people, all fluids full and gear for 2 people for a two or three day trip.... Post the scale ticket then let's talk.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Now to clarify even more it also depends on what is being towed, I won't tow a bumper pull over 10,000lbs behind a truck, no way no how, they can really get swaying at the worst times if your not careful, but a properly set up gooseneck or fifth pulls straight an true no matter the weight, obviously braking and accelerating distances need to be adjusted accordingly.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love these threads...always entertaining at the very least.

Payload and tow capacity get thrown around loosely in the comparisons. Got to be careful. I like to also factor in things like the width of the truck, my F350 is wider than any half tone I have had. I sure do feel the weight of it pressing on these winter roads compared to the lighter halfs I had. Bigger brakes, engine breaking. Since the 350 came along we all feel much, much safer as a family. Less stress, more enjoyable. But we've all read this in these posts before.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like Dales replies....take to scale loaded as going, weigh and post ticket. Had my eyes opened at one time when I thought my rough and tough super duper half ton was a fully capable road warrior.......at least that's what the sales guy, brochure and TV commercials told me.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will take a 2015 F150 with a sled deck and two sleds on it any day on the road vs. a Dodge dually toting 30,000lbs down the road that it is "rated" for.....

Tapatalk HD for IPAD

This point was brought up some time ago on another of the many truck load threads and someone responded that an 8000lb Dodge loaded to 4x its weight with a trailer compares to a semi tractor at, I'm guessing 20000lb loaded to 6-7x its weight. So how is the Dodge less safe in that sense than a semi?

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holdin out faith that someone will figure out this conundrum

You won't get an answer for a while yet, as the new F-150 still isn't out as far as I know. We should be on page 70 by the time someone puts it on a scale.

Sent from my iPhone

Top Bottom