Workplace injuries

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Who has done what?

I have had a broken hand ,two pins and a bone graft.

Lost a couple finger nails. and the usual , metal slivers,,welding burns etc.

And just yesterday,i broke my pointer finger.

Just curious as to others stories.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of burns and skinned knuckles. I have been lucky for all the close calls I have. I almost had a high clearance sprayer fall on me and almost had a mixer wagon full of feed fall on me when I was replacing a broken spindle, I have now learned to properly block stuff up lol. My dad almost ran me over with the air drill once too

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cut my finger to the bone with an box cutter knife with a new blade. The worst pain I have felt when the doctor had to inject it to numb it. Had six stitches and its still the first finger to get cold.

Sent from my iPhone while wishing the snow was gone so I can go dirt biking.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Numerous cuts (the worst that I can remember was having a ratchet slip off a bolt on a haul truck radiator. Think cheese grater on your knuckles. I've smashed my hands countless times against equipment from bolts breaking free unexpectedly or wrenches slipping off. I've definitely learned how to avoid doing that compared to when I first started my apprenticeship lol.

The absolute worst though was slipping and falling onto a freshly welded extra tall grouser on a D10R dozer track on a cool frosty morning which made the tracks like ice. The corner caught me right in the ass and SOB did that hurt. My whole leg went numb and it freaked me out because I thought I might have damaged a nerve.

Oh the joys of being a heavy duty mechanic. I love it most of the time but there's times I question wtf I'm doing haha

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At 20 I operated a giant honing machine. Did lots of hydralic cylinders mostly. One day the boss took a BOB valve in that was to big for the machine. He did some mods to the hone and I started working. I backed out of the cylinder with polish stones at high rpm and the modified steady rest broke off causing the hone head to hit the table. It was rotating towards me. Climbed up my arm. Popped my shoulder then tore out all my bottom teeth. Broken jaw. Removed my right ear. Split open across the eyebrows and shattered my upper orbital. Topped it off with 28 staples and skull fracture on top of my head. Also a 100 plus stitches to my lips, nose and forehead. That Was a bad day. 3 years of dental surgery. Grafting. Implants and plastic surgery on my ear. The only issues 24 yrs later are a numb skull and I can't work with my right arm over head.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At 20 I operated a giant honing machine. Did lots of hydralic cylinders mostly. One day the boss took a BOB valve in that was to big for the machine. He did some mods to the hone and I started working. I backed out of the cylinder with polish stones at high rpm and the modified steady rest broke off causing the hone head to hit the table. It was rotating towards me. Climbed up my arm. Popped my shoulder then tore out all my bottom teeth. Broken jaw. Removed my right ear. Split open across the eyebrows and shattered my upper orbital. Topped it off with 28 staples and skull fracture on top of my head. Also a 100 plus stitches to my lips, nose and forehead. That Was a bad day. 3 years of dental surgery. Grafting. Implants and plastic surgery on my ear. The only issues 24 yrs later are a numb skull and I can't work with my right arm over head.

You win.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow my cut to my finger seems quite pathetic now

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2

Not sure i would call it winning. Lol I was definitely lucky. Oh And I still hate milkshakes. Lived off them for 2 years :):)

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OWCH!! Ya that's a life changing injury.

Mine wasn't so bad, I was lifting a panel on my truck, over my head. I ruptured my distal bicep tendon.

2 surgeries later and it is still not 100% I think.. It's been 2 years now and I still feel some nagging.. I think it's the button they used to hold the tendon in place on my tuberosity while healing is rubbing on the ulna.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OWCH!! Ya that's a life changing injury.

Mine wasn't so bad, I was lifting a panel on my truck, over my head. I ruptured my distal bicep tendon.

2 surgeries later and it is still not 100% I think.. It's been 2 years now and I still feel some nagging.. I think it's the button they used to hold the tendon in place on my tuberosity while healing is rubbing on the ulna.
Huh, those words sound made up lol

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds bad but my hangnail really hurt............

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
wow can't compare to some of those but.

Herniated myself at 21 loading fan stack pannels for cooling towers.

Cut the top of my hand down to the bone with an angle grinder. (Could see the tendons move when I wiggled my fingers) still have no feeling on the top of my hand.

Electrocuted with 347.

Had a nail ricochet from a powder actuated gun and got me in the eye. Blind for over a week. Still get twitching in that eye and have to have regular check ups on it.

Many many pulled muscles busted up hands. Smashed finger tips. Ect.

As said above seems pretty
Minor compared to the above stories. I will say though not knowing if your going to see again for over a week is some scary chit

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just another desk jockey now so maybe one paper cut a year lol.

Even prior to that nothing too serious. Second degree steam burns on my hand and a permanently sore back from stacking tires for a living when I was in my teens.

Top Bottom