Workplace injuries

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I would bring this thread back to the top.
A couple days back me and my dad were weighing cattle. One of the high headed ones stopped while we were bringing them up the alley and before my dad could back up, it kicked him hard in the chest. I thought it had crushed his windpipe since he was laying on the ground with his hands on his neck gasping for air. Thankfully he got hit in the bone just a couple inches below his neck and was able to get up and climb the fence. His heart started beating properly after a couple minutes but his voice sounded like Barry white for while after and he has trouble drinking water now.
Definitely was scary thinking he was gonna die there. I now have a new respect for how far of a reach cattle have haha.

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fell of a set of b train fuel tankers busted up my back.
broke my arm.lots of skinned hands and knuckles bleeding head from banging it under under equipment.
Hand a 65mm wrench get away on me with a 3/4 impact on the other side loose teeth and black eye.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought I would bring this thread back to the top.
A couple days back me and my dad were weighing cattle. One of the high headed ones stopped while we were bringing them up the alley and before my dad could back up, it kicked him hard in the chest. I thought it had crushed his windpipe since he was laying on the ground with his hands on his neck gasping for air. Thankfully he got hit in the bone just a couple inches below his neck and was able to get up and climb the fence. His heart started beating properly after a couple minutes but his voice sounded like Barry white for while after and he has trouble drinking water now.
Definitely was scary thinking he was gonna die there. I now have a new respect for how far of a reach cattle have haha.

I hate working withe cattle. I loved living a growing up on the farm. It taught me so many things. But I can't deal with cows. I like field work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's my dads finger. Pinched it opening the door last week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 289

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate working withe cattle. I loved living a growing up on the farm. It taught me so many things. But I can't deal with cows. I like field work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup same here. Had enough of the cows in 2010 sold my herd. Do miss raising my own bbq tho. Sold the rest of the farm off last year my stress level has definitely gone down not working two full time jobs.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my father in law had a bad day. Just a little farming accident. Chain and a sprocket were the culprits. Right in the middle of haying.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 231

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ouch...yup bad day

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is not good.
Hopefully heals quickly

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats the thing about farmers, its a way of life not a job. The hay isn't gonna get done by itself and the world doesn't care if it does.

Hope he heals up fast.

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't happen to me but saw someone loose a leg. Used to work at the truss joint on 17st and a new hire decided to run across the truss as it was going through the finishing roller and slipped through the truss (roller sits bout 3' off the ground) he caught a overhanging gang nail plate just below the knee and almost sliced it right off before it almost sucked him right in and hit the safety stop bar that was held on by a bungee cord, it was just dangling barely hanging on. Never heard a dude scream like that in my life and hope I never do again. Happened about 25 yrs ago now and remember it like it was yesterday

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no appropriate Thanks/Like button on snowmud for these stories.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
burns are one of the worst possible pains.... early in life(early 20's) was working on one of the hundreds of propane powered taxis(we did a lot of the conversions) and the car I was working on, needed a remote fill installed. The owner failed to tell us it had a propane leak, and it filled the trunk. when I started to hole cut for the remote fittings, it exploded, knocking me about 20 ft backwards into the shop door. I had 2 and 3 degree burns on my head and hands/arms. I roll up my coverall sleeves, like I still do, so burnt up to there... I had a cheesy early 80's style moustache at the time, and it melted back across my face and my eyebrows and hair were all melted backwards... I was in hospital for about 3 weeks, on heavy morphine for the first 2 weeks, and saline baths almost every 3 hours as well as constant wrap changes/cleaning .... skin on my face and arms were badly melted, and would come off in slabs :( .... they thought i'd be disfigured from the burns, but because of my youngish age, recovered almost 100 percent. when cold out, I can still see the line on my arms from where they burned up to, as it's a little different color, and that's about it.... I've shattered an ankle/leg skateboarding, separated my pelvis sledding, several broken fingers in several different sports, broken back from a car accident, separated shoulder from a car accident, and several bad cuts, but no pain(other than the separated pelvis) has even been close to the pain of bad burns, that I've experienced.....

Top Bottom