valemount cops bored again so lets pick on some sledders again

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fog lamps

4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.

(2) Each fog lamp must be

(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and

(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.

(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.

(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Auxiliary driving lamps

4.09 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 auxiliary driving lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height of not less than 40 cm and not more than 1.06 m, that are capable of displaying onlywhite light.

(2) An auxiliary driving lamp must be directed so that the high intensity portion of the beam is, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, at least 12 cm below the height of the lamp and, at a distance of 25 m from the lamp, not higher than 1.06 m from the road surface.

(3) An auxiliary driving lamp must operate so that it is illuminated only when the upper beam of a multiple beam headlamp is illuminated.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trailer brakes

(3) A trailer shall be equipped with brakes at each end of each axle, but brakes are not required

(a) on one axle of a house trailer that is equipped with more than 2 axles,

(b) on any axle of a trailer other than a towing dolly if the licensed vehicle weight of the trailer

(i) is 1 400 kg or less, and

(ii) is less than 50% of the licensed vehicle weight of the vehicle by which it is being towed,

(c) on any axle of a towing dolly towed by a motor vehicle where

(i) the aggregate of the net weight of the towing dolly and the gross vehicle weight of the motor vehicle one axle of which is being carried by the towing dolly does not exceed 1 400 kg, or

(ii) the motor vehicle towing the towing dolly has a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of the aggregate of

(A) the net weight of the towing dolly,

(B) the gross vehicle weight of the motor vehicle one axle of which is being carried by the towing dolly, and

(C) the gross vehicle weight of the motor vehicle towing the towing dolly,

(d) on any axle of a motor vehicle one axle of which is being carried by a towing dolly, and

(e) on any axle of a trailer that consists of a piece of construction machinery towed by a truck where the truck has a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of the aggregate of the gross vehicle weights of the trailer and the truck.

(4) Brakes with which a trailer is equipped shall

(a) when applied be adequate to maintain control of the trailer,

(b) when applied not affect the direction of travel of the trailer, and

(c) where the licensed vehicle weight of the trailer exceeds 2 800 kg, be capable of being applied by the driver of the motor vehicle towing the trailer from his normal seated position.

(5) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a motorcycle shall be equipped with a brake on each wheel in contact with the ground, other than a wheel attached directly to a sidecar, and the brake on a rear wheel shall be operated by a right foot control, except where the motorcycle has a motor that produces 3.75 kW or less, in which case the rear wheel brake may be operated by a control mounted on the left handlebar.

(6) Brakes and coordinated brake control are not required on a motor vehicle with gross vehicle weight less than 2 800 kg which is being towed by

(a) a commercial vehicle with gross vehicle weight rating over 5 500 kg, or

(b) a rubber tired road building machine such as a motor-grader with normal operating weight rating over 5 500 kg,

provided that the aggregate weight of the combination does not exceed

(c) the gross vehicle weight rating of the towing motor vehicle, or

(d) in the case of a rubber tired road building machine, the registered test weight in the compliance testing of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1473 brake performance standard.

(7) Brakes and coordinated brake control are not required on a towed motor vehicle that has a laden gross vehicle weight less than 2 000 kg and that is less than 40% of the gross vehicle weight rating of a motor home towing it via a tow bar.

[am. B.C. Regs. 69/59, s. (j); 46/67, s. 10; 226/67, s. 4; 205/72, s. 6; 343/77; 459/77, s. 2; 256/84, s. 6; 257/96, s. 1; 109/97, s. 1.]

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isnt MM4 going to be there? going to be interesting to see how many tickets they will give out that weekend!

tinted windows
fog/driving lights
trailer lights
trailer brakes
over length
speeding
tires/mudflaps
exhaust
over weight
lic. plate lights
crack windsheilds
horn not working
picking nose

tinted windows- check have me some of those

fog/driving lights-check always drive with them on

trailer lights-yes one doesnt always work , depends on how the wire sits

trailer brakes - truck has 3 that should be enough

over length - nope

speeding - unless you see me at a stop sign

tires/mudflaps -yep all there little bald, but have a snowflake

exhaust - wish it was just a bit louder

over weight - nope good there im just little

lic. plate lights - yep light works great plate has large dent

crack windsheilds - check passengers side just happened at mount Robson

horn not working - watch for finger

picking nose - yes but it is where you wipe it that counts:eek:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what is worse? your vehicals vandalized when you get back from sledding or the trumped up tickets. Both are organized crimes in my eyes.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard last year they were checking tie downs inside enclosed trailers!Not sure if it was true or not.And I heard your not allowed to pack extra fuel from Alberta either!God knows its cheaper here!I usually head to Mcbride anyways.The cops seem more level headed other than the usual check stops at Tete Jaune Cache.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, they should leave every vehicle alone if they don't have their "offroad" lights covered?
It's funny, in all the 15 years that I have sledded, I have been pulled over once at a check point to see if the sleds were properly anchored. I passed hundreds of cops going in the other direction, or sitting on the side of the road, and only once did they stop me, because of speeding in Hinton..
I guess I am either lucky, or I comply.

The cops are the ones that have to respond to mangled bodies in the event of an accident that involved a trailer pushing a truck off the edge of a cliff.... or a head on collision.

Pay the fine, fix your rig like it should be, KNOW THE RULES, be kind and cooperative to the cop, and you should not have trouble IMO.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks CUSO,

Just like in any situation, if they see something illegal they will stop you. This has nothing to do with the town and it wasnt just valemount;)

You really think we can tell the cops what to or not to enforce?:confused: Out of the 400 sledders riding here this weekend. How many got a ticket.

The town does know and appreciate the business brought by sledders, you are the only reason any of us can remain in our little paradise, please dont take this out on them. Your business is crucial, but WE CANNOT CONTROL the RCMP

The best way to get your message accross locally would be to please write a letter to the paper expressing your opinion!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be sure all your brake controllers in your trucks can lock all brakes on trailer also, made me do that also, and made me pull the lock cable on the hitch and drag the trailer ahead to make sure it worked also, how many of you guys actually checked these things?? im glad my trailer is brand new and my brakes still hold perfectly, i have older trailers and i dont think they would lock up and pass any of these tests.

sure would be a shame if your older trailer brakes failed and put you into oncoming traffic if they didn't work eh. make sure your trailer brakes work. :beer:l

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How can a cop do a inspection on a trailer? He does not hold a license to do inspections. That is up to a cerfied shop with license technicians or dot people. Friends of mine rent a trailer from local sled shop, told good to go. Got to valemount, gets pulled over. The trailer brakes dont work, dumb cop tells him $700 fine or 72hrs to have it fixed. What? you let an unsafe trailer back on the road. They towed it there across 3 provinces, now your going to let them tow it back again. When they get back, take the wheels/drums off. 1 wheel out of the 4 have brake material on the shoes. So they adjusted it so tight could barley boot the drum back on. Take it local cops here in Lloydminster, cop pulls the cord, driver holds foot on brake. Of coarse nothing moves. Cop tells him, all good, I will phone Valemount cops & tell tear up ticket. Are you kidding? They need to do some real work & look for theifs. But no, lets stop & bother easy pickens. What a joke!

don't be easy pickens then, that copper did your buds no favours, as you were still not safe, you guys farmers?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isnt mm4 going to be there? Going to be interesting to see how many tickets they will give out that weekend!

Tinted windows
fog/driving lights
trailer lights
trailer brakes
over length
speeding
tires/mudflaps
exhaust
over weight
lic. Plate lights
crack windsheilds
horn not working
picking nose

dead batteries
2 horses in a 1 horse town

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no issue with them doing there jobs. But as for the fog lights being on at 1am in the morning getting pulled over for that. I never don't drive with them on. You can see the road 100 times better. So safer I see it. I'm not gonna stop riding vale just cuz of the pigs. I love it there. And varda still does a bang up job!

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im no farmer, you missed the point. Why would the cop let the unsafe trailer go? Thats the point, he let the unsafe trailer go, not me. I wasnt there or around. How does the cop decide that he can inspect brakes, that trailer should have never been allowed to leave Valemount until repaired. Its good there checking for unsafe junk on the road. Vale is pretty much a 1way street town, so they could do some patrol @ night, maybe catch a thief also.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone thinks a ticket for uncovered driving lights is anything but a cash grab you are mistaken. How many commercial rigs you see pulled over for driving lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom