Turbo Pass avalanche, rescuers

pembygrl

Reaction score
The winter issue of KMC mag is out, with the article I connected with you all about. It's super long, so I don't think posting it on the forum here is the best option! But for people who wanted to take a look, but don't have a hard copy, I posted a link to it here:
Good riding.
pembygrl

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interesting story. One thing I find hard to believe is that the heliskiers were acting in a completely safe manner ( keeping thier customers to 20 degree slopes on glaciers). If I paid $1,500 day to ski, I would be pretty pissed if they took me to a kiddie hill sloped glacier.

edit - a typical blue square run is 20 degrees. A blue square glacier run would be a complete rip off for heli skiers.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The winter issue of KMC mag is out, with the article I connected with you all about. It's super long, so I don't think posting it on the forum here is the best option! But for people who wanted to take a look, but don't have a hard copy, I posted a link to it here:
Good riding.
pembygrl

Wow!! That story must have taken you a long time. I appreciate how you involved viewpoints from all sides of the backcountry-- This approach really helps to underscore what a diverse community we are involved in as backcountry users and gives a more global view of the issue and its many perspectives.

I truly enjoyed your article. Thank you for taking the time to include the sledding community in your research and for linking us back to your article. So many reporters have spoken against us without taking the time to try and get an accurate representation of our snowmobiling culture. Your effort at achieving balanced reporting is truly appreciated :)

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
I listened to Jeffs comments at the CAC AGM last spring. You got most of it right. ;)
No where did you mention the Sledder Community performed self rescue and all were un-buried by the first fly in. There were many AST Certified personel on site.

Sincere Gratitude to the many companies who sent their professionals in to assist. :beer:

RS

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought about it this past week.... it happened the same weekend as the spring day light saving time change, and when the fall change happened it reminded me about the event and thought about how crazy it was to see the build up to the event online, reading about all the people going and then it was on the news.....an avalanche. Watching the news was scary to think of all those people buried and watching screen shots of this forum and seeing quoted posts from the members here. It is not like i was directly involved but it hit me fairly hard...

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read the article in the magazine. Good job, fair and unbiased. Even though I know better I could have been at the bottom of that hill. I like that magazine as it allows a lot of different "Kootenay Culture" viewpoints, not just the green culture.

watson21

Reaction score
Please anyone who responds put in the disclaimer that you get to read the draft article before publication. Been burnt too many times by missquotes, eleminations and misunderstandings by the media. Not saying this is a bad idea but please make sure its right before you put your name on this article. Just saying!

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi their
I believe that for u to understand what it's like to ride in the mountains u really need to go their and see why we enjoy being their. I have had my kids up their since they where 9 and 11 and it's the most injoyable times we have had and I can tell u that we are very careful as most peaple are that ride up in the moutains. But their are times that know matter how prepared u are some things just happens. Most peaple that go to the mountains know how dangerous it is but it's better than sitting on the couch and thinking about it.
I have found that any time theirs a problem up their that pretty well every one stops and helps, where as on the trails anywhere else with just trail riding that most peaple just drive by some peaple do stop but up their I find it a tighter group of peaple and it's rare to see someone just drive by. I believe if u want to find out any information about this tragity u should join us up in the mountains. When a tragety like this happens I have always met someone who knows the person or i've met them myself and we do not take this lightly. Even if u write the story most peaple will not understand why we are up their in the first place it's not just a adrenalin kick because it's a challenge to even be their and it's a great rush at the end of the day. Ive found that the busier I keep my kids the less trouble they get into, drugs have come up and I told them if they want a controled rush come with me and i'll show u a rush and to my nollege they have never done drugs, so every penny I spend on mountain riding is worth it. What i've heard from a few peaple that i've heard from say that alot of the rescue work was done by the snowmobilers who were their at the time because it takes time for rescue crews to get their, the peaple that do rescue work are a phenominal group of peaple to risk their own lives to help peaple in trouble. But u should also look at the peaple who ride in the mountains that take the time to learn how to rescue owerselves and to help other peaple in the area if needed, so if u write this story u should talk about how we are always ready and prepared to help each other if needed.
good luck Barry

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please anyone who responds put in the disclaimer that you get to read the draft article before publication. Been burnt too many times by missquotes, eleminations and misunderstandings by the media. Not saying this is a bad idea but please make sure its right before you put your name on this article. Just saying!

The article has already been completed and published... Read back for the link to it

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good riding.
pembygrl

Good Job wish the rest of the media would have covered it that way.:beer::d

whickey

Reaction score
Very nice. I really appreate you getting everyones view points. I was not up there but I could have been cause I went to Valemount to avoid the croud. It is a day that will ring in my mind for a long time. Thank you for giving us the oppertunity.

teamti

Reaction score
that was a good article. Really disappointing to see some of the initial reactions in the thread. Instead of a victim head-in-the-sand mentality why not take the opportunity for critical self-examination of we as a community who love sledding - some people made mistakes; what can we learn from it.

I like the discussion in the article about asking sled manufacturers to help with safety. I'd have liked to see more discussion about that but I realize that's a topic in itself. I know that the manufacturers have resisted efforts in the past to contribute to safety programs and wonder if this will change or that doesn't fit into their mandate of profit-maximization.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the discussion in the article about asking sled manufacturers to help with safety. I'd have liked to see more discussion about that but I realize that's a topic in itself. I know that the manufacturers have resisted efforts in the past to contribute to safety programs and wonder if this will change or that doesn't fit into their mandate of profit-maximization.

if the manufacturers gave $1000 per sled towards education, we would all be happy. Are you willing to pay an extra $1000 per sled to make that happen?

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
that was a good article. Really disappointing to see some of the initial reactions in the thread. Instead of a victim head-in-the-sand mentality why not take the opportunity for critical self-examination of we as a community who love sledding - some people made mistakes; what can we learn from it.

When you say manufacturers what do you mean? Do you mean manufacturers of sleds? Helmets, Clothing? Tracks? Avy Gear? Performance parts? Goggles? Oil? etc etc.
Through ISMA (International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association) each OEM sled mfg contribute directly to the CAC for Avalanche Awareness. Yamaha was the first the past 4 years, BRP came on Board last year and now the other 2 have joined. Something the OE's are doing...........next time you buy your after market products ask them if they support the CAC???
Truth be known, none of them really do. BCA is the only aftermarekt company that does at this point. Get this........the aftermarket business is larger than new sales annually :eek: So does that mean the aftermarkets should support more than the OEMs?? They make more $$$ and give back less:rolleyes:

Safe Sleddin
RS

pembygrl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! It still amazes me what survivors managed to accomplish before the helicopters arrived. Another story, hopefully. (Maybe it's worth exploring how you nominate people for Governor General's awards' Medal for Bravery...??)
One interesting insight I heard during my research: the snowmobile "industry" (ie manufacturers etc) are very reluctant to support safety messaging and funding, because they (and their advising lawyers) don't want to create any association between their business and possible negative consequences from sledding. One source said, "I think that's insane. It's like the old 'we can't put seatbelts in cars because we'd be telling people that driving is dangerous.'"
I think that's a cultural shift that can happen, within the community...
And I have formed the distinct impression that your community is amazing and strong. So I appreciate having had the chance to connect through this forum. And to include so many different voices in this article... but it reminds me again that there were two voices who won't be heard again because of this avalanche and my heart goes out to their families.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! It still amazes me what survivors managed to accomplish before the helicopters arrived. Another story, hopefully. (Maybe it's worth exploring how you nominate people for Governor General's awards' Medal for Bravery...??)
One interesting insight I heard during my research: the snowmobile "industry" (ie manufacturers etc) are very reluctant to support safety messaging and funding, because they (and their advising lawyers) don't want to create any association between their business and possible negative consequences from sledding. One source said, "I think that's insane. It's like the old 'we can't put seatbelts in cars because we'd be telling people that driving is dangerous.'"
I think that's a cultural shift that can happen, within the community...
And I have formed the distinct impression that your community is amazing and strong. So I appreciate having had the chance to connect through this forum. And to include so many different voices in this article... but it reminds me again that there were two voices who won't be heard again because of this avalanche and my heart goes out to their families.

FYI, the insight you heard could not be further from the truth. This season Ski Doo(BRP) did free avalanche safety seminars at numerous dealers this fall, and all the oem's donate to the Canadian Avalanche Center, as well as some dealerships(mine) donated $ to the center this fall. I wonder how much $ K2, Burton, Salomon, Volkl, Rossignol and other ski/boardcompanies donate and if they give free seminars in their dealers shops ? I'd bet none..... Just some food for thought.:d

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI, the insight you heard could not be further from the truth. This season Ski Doo(BRP) did free avalanche safety seminars at numerous dealers this fall, and all the oem's donate to the Canadian Avalanche Center, as well as some dealerships(mine) donated $ to the center this fall. I wonder how much $ K2, Burton, Salomon, Volkl, Rossignol and other ski/boardcompanies donate and if they give free seminars in their dealers shops ? I'd bet none..... Just some food for thought.:d

You also can not forget manufacturers giving avy backpacks out to buyers of new sleds the last couple of years.
Last year I do believe Arctic Cat gave them out and the year before it was Yamaha.

Top Bottom