Trailer sale Scam

Gary u

Reaction score
Stolen Trailer Scam.
I had my 2003 32ft Haulmark Edge Stacker trailer stolen in a scam by some clever people.
The trailer was for sale and in came a buyer. He came and looked, asked the right questions, went away thinking about the deal. Called, came back to purchase it with a TD Bank Draft. I looked over the bank draft and it all checked out. His address added up to a person with his name etc so I let him take the trailer and gave him a bill of sale. I deposited it into my bank without question. It went off to the TD bank and a week later was marked as “Counterfit”. The address for this guy turned out to be bad and the phone was a pay as you go bought Cash.
He used the name of John Mills but I am sure that was not his name. He drove what seemed to be about a 1998 or so Dodge Dually I believe it was burgundy in color. This was a Caucasian man about 6 ft 2 or 6 ft 3. I would say in his late 40s or early 50s.

The trailer would stand out if you know stacker trailers or just plain trailers.
It had a man door on both sides as well as pit lights on both sides.
The “drivers side” had an RV awning at one point but was removed so the fastener holes and outlines are still there. It had a scrape on the “drivers side” rear as it must have brushed something hard on a turn some place in its lift time.
Trailer VIN #16HGB32393G053638

Pictures of the trailer can be found at this site:
Gallery - 2003 Haulmark stacker

Any information you have please email me at garyu@tbwifi.ca

Thanks

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another one for cash only deals now adays. yikes
hope ya find your trailer.

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if a guy gets scammed like this would the police write it up as a stolen trailer?

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it's stolen(as it is now) and you file a police report, could you not claim this on insurance?

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have gotten into the habit of asking for drivers Lic number and recording the vehicle plate but the vehicle was more then likely also stolen.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i will keep my eye out for it man that makes me think twice next time i sell something There is not a whole lot of them stacker trailers out there u have to go to castrol raceway when it fires up again but iam pretty sure it went state side

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
u should phone allen dale trailers in reddeer with the vin numbers incase it ends up there or need parts :)

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
That really really sucks ...How the hell do these azz lickers live with them selves?It can happen to anyone ,but to make a fake bank draft,,,wow,,keep us updated with what happens with the cops and your insurance company.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have gotten into the habit of asking for drivers Lic number and recording the vehicle plate but the vehicle was more then likely also stolen.

the drivers liscence is now mandatory for me. I have sold a few sleds and am always worried about these scammers. If a person isn't willing to show his legit photo id, then it is a scam. A plate number is pretty much useles because a thief will always have a fraudulent plate. If a guy shows up and isn't willing to show his drivers liscence, then call the cops and have him pulled over as he leaves without your trailer.

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the drivers liscence is now mandatory for me. I have sold a few sleds and am always worried about these scammers. If a person isn't willing to show his legit photo id, then it is a scam. A plate number is pretty much useles because a thief will always have a fraudulent plate. If a guy shows up and isn't willing to show his drivers liscence, then call the cops and have him pulled over as he leaves without your trailer.

I have even been asking for a drivers lic when BUYING items, that way you can track them down if it ends up being stolen, have not had anyone refuse yet. Pretty bad when you have to assume everyone buying or selling something may be a frigging crook.

Evil Revo

Reaction score
Shitty deal man! I feel for ya. I will keep my eyes open too.

I just sold my Vette, took the Bank draft to my bank with the guy who bought my car. Even then, my banker asked if I went into his bank with him to get the draft.
She told me a story about a 45,000 draft that they received for a car someone sold. Guess what? It was a fraud too.

Nowadays, you can't trust many, just your very close friends.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine had the exact same scam pulled on him. Sold his 07 Doo xrs privately to a guy with a TD bank draft and it turned out to be counterfeit. Cops told him the draft was exactly like a real one. No insurance as the insurance company said it was an act of fraud not theft. Buddy is out $8000.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear this... Scum... absolute scum.... thieves are getting smarter and more cagey. We are implementing the Micro Dot System at Main Jet. It is a Huge Theft prevention program which marks your vehicle several times, in random spots microscopically. Each item is recorded into a data base for easy identification should your item be found amongst other random stolen products. The more we market this program, the more of an overall theft deterrent it becomes.
here's a link with more info.
Operation Hands Off!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at a truck in Calgary a few years ago that belonged to a cop. He asked me how I was going to pay for it...I told him cash, he said forget it...too much counterfeit. Joking around, I asked him if he would take a third party out of town check...he said he would take that before a random bank draft. He would take a bank draft but we had to go to the bank together to get it made out. He said his office was polluted with fake ones. I've been lucky with the stuff I sell, but like previously stated, I like to see a driver's license and I always write down the plate number, not that it does a bunch of good, but it's something to give the cops if need be.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bud sold a truck to a nice lookin lady a few years ago, girl gave him a personal cheque $5000, he deposited the cheque low and behold a few days later he needed a ball glove to catch it. she had the truck registered and such, took it to newfie land. he had no choice had to go to newfie land and repo the truck, costly lesson. she could have had him arrested as he had signed over the paperwork. the ones to watch are the ones who have the best stories, they are trying to convince you. best to go to there bank and get cash on spot.

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope, excluded from coverage under an auto policy.If he has it under a commercial policy, he may have a chance.

Top Bottom