top end rebuild

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 700 king quad and wondering, do I need any special tools to rebuild the top of the engine (Rings,cylinder,piston) Like how does the timing chain come apart or setting the valves etc. Or is it better to leave it to the pros. Mountain toys want 1400 to do the job. It smokes so bad that it is embarrassing:eek: and when I changed the oil I found chunks of metal in the oil, I'm hoping it is part of the cylinder and nothing else, because it still starts and runs. What are your thoughts and I'm thanking you ahead of time:beer::(:confused::eek::beer::beer::beer:

kingkris06

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can get a service manual online, metric allen wrenches, i didnt need a ring compressor but it couldn't hurt to have one.

it a toss up whether or not to pull the motor out of the frame, its a little less time if you leave the motor in, it but its such a pain the a$$ working on it. be extra careful when removing the timing chain there is a brass washer between the gear and the housing that is hard to see and if you drop it you probably have to split the case to get it out.

edit: the cir clip that holds the wrist pin, with the right pick / screw driver shouldnt be a problem , but i had to cut the clip out

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id pull it just because if i found metal in the motor id want to flush it and it would be easyer to flush it on the side or upside down with the head off.

that said when you do get it off check the con-rod bearing to see if thats where your metal come from.

hopefully its just your ring and you dont have to do too much work on the cylinder to get it back in shape.

you may have to bore it over if there is major scars.

in that case you might need to replace piston and if thats the case you might want to go with a high comp pistion.

your going to need to look at it first very close check everything as nothing is worse than putting it back together and something else pops.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No special tools needed for this. I do have a service manual that is scanned on a cd that i could copy and send you if needed. Its not that hard of a job to do just follow the steps closely.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a service manual on cd and have printed it on paper, but it doesn't show any of the tricks. Like how do you take the timing chain apart. You tube shows a tool needed to put the chain back together. I flushed the engine 3x and there is no more metal that I can see. do you think I still have to take the engine out. I know if I take it to the dealer they wont. I rather ask these questions now than later if you know what I mean.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think you need to take the engine out unless your crank bearing is shot. In the mannual it will give you the measurements of how much play it can have. The chain will come off the the top sprocket once you get the cover off and not sure if there is bolts holding the cams down or what been awhile since doing it. My king was the first four stroke engine i rebuilt and i was worried but it was easier then i thought have done a couple brute vtwins since for buddies.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when are you coming over ha ha. So I'm guessing that the plastic on the front comes off to do this, air cleaner, is that about it

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I lived closer I would come over and give you a hand. I pulled front plastics and yes the air box then just followed the steps in the manual just make sure its all clean before taking apart motor I used air to blow all the dried mud off mine and around air box so it didn't get in the engine or throttle body. If you have any questions just ask ill do my best to help you

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it would be nice if I had your phone #. That way I wouldn't have to play computer tag, just a thought, buddy. By the way my name is Kirk and thanks for all the encouragement.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem man my name is jarrett my number is 780 870 8903 if I don't answer just leave a message and ill get back to ya as I work 7 to 7 on a drilling rig.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Crisscross1, let us know how much work it was and the cost when your done. Thanks

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Jarrett, tomorrow I'm going to tear it down. Hope every thing works out. Working on the rigs you probably don't even work on the quads, you just buy another, ha ha. Don't work to hard, later.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Jarrett I did it and its back together and I save $1100.00 by doing it myself. Thanks again for the encouragement, now I'm going to snorkel the cvt (belt trany)

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Jarrett I did it and its back together and I save $1100.00 by doing it myself. Thanks again for the encouragement, now I'm going to snorkel the cvt (belt trany)

Good to hear you got it done man. I just tore my new outlander apart swammped it on Saturday and bent a rod only has 180 miles on it. I snorkeled my king while I had it apart as well made it a lot easier. Are you going down the left side or right side with the cvt exhaust?

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and people act like i'm talking out my azz when i say i will never buy or recommend a new atv that doesn't come with a snorkel system like the Mudpro or can-ams XMR.

the above post is exactly why.

120hrs got into a little to deep and bam.. wreaked a brand new motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and people act like i'm talking out my azz when i say i will never buy or recommend a new atv that doesn't come with a snorkel system like the Mudpro or can-ams XMR.

the above post is exactly why.

120hrs got into a little to deep and bam.. wreaked a brand new motor.

Ya man that's exactly the problem she took on water crossing a river when moose hunting. When I bought the quad I bought the snorkel kit from the xmr and it was supposed to be installed before I picked it up. Two months later it still hasn't come in and Martins in edmonton is sending my money back for the kit cause they have no idea when they will be available.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was planning going right through and over the rear drive shaft then down the left side under the side of the engine. I can get a 1 1/2" flex hose in there. Picked up some fittings and I will have to make the first fitting to come off the rear exhaust cvt joint. I'm using a collar for a 2" pipe which measures about 2 1/2" outside and I'm going to rap electric tape around and around until it is 3". Just finished the first one and it looks great and tight and with the clamps on it should never leak there. Do you think a 1 1/2" pipe will be good enough and not over heat the belt.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was planning going right through and over the rear drive shaft then down the left side under the side of the engine. I can get a 1 1/2" flex hose in there. Picked up some fittings and I will have to make the first fitting to come off the rear exhaust cvt joint. I'm using a collar for a 2" pipe which measures about 2 1/2" outside and I'm going to rap electric tape around and around until it is 3". Just finished the first one and it looks great and tight and with the clamps on it should never leak there. Do you think a 1 1/2" pipe will be good enough and not over heat the belt.

I used 1.5" pvc for my rhino,... the cvt exhaust pipe gets pretty hot sometimes. I would say 1.5" ID MIN.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used 2" flex pipe on mine was tight but got it to work and used a rubber 3to2 off the cvt. On my girlfriends i used the 1.5" and seemed to work good. We did get a moose at least.

Top Bottom