2018 Axys 800 Rebuild

bc_oly

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

New to posting on this site but have a few questions about a bottom end rebuild on a 2018 800 axys motor. I had a catastrophic primary clutch failure at full rpm and it exploded. It was pretty violent and took out 2 of the 4 engine mount arms on the bottom case. I will be doing a bottom end repair to replace the case. The dealer checked the crank and its good. I likely end up doing the top end also. I have done a lot of top ends and pretty familiar with engine rebuilds in general (dirtbikes, cars, etc). I am pretty confident I will be able to put the pieces together properly but was hoping you could provide some guidance with respect to the digital wrench portion of the rebuild. Will I need to take this to the dealer after from some computer work? I know I will want to set it in break in mode again but wondering what else is required with the digital wrench? If the entire electric exhaust valve assembly is kept intact will I need to get it configured again? Also do I need to use the digital wrench to prime the oil pump to remove air bubbles or help with any timing related things?

Thanks in advance for any help, just curious if I should take this on or not

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2. Connect the Chassis Power-Up Harness (PS-47296–
B) to the ECM PWR test and DC PWR test
connectors.
NOTE
If the snowmobile is equipped with a fully-charged
battery, it can be used to supply power to the test
connectors. If using a stand-alone service battery, do
not place the battery in the tunnel footwells. Place the
battery on the floor next to the engine compartment.
3. Lock the parking brake.
4. Push and hold the PERC button on the left hand
control.
5. While pressing and holding the PERC button, press
on the throttle lever enough to depress the throttle
release switch. Hold for at least 15 seconds.
6. The ECU will cycle the oil for approximately 30
seconds. After the prime procedure is completed,
verify there are no air bubbles larger than 1 inch (2.54
cm) in any of the engine oil supply lines. If large air
bubbles are present, run the prime procedure again.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
above post. power up ecu with separate battery. don't over flood your case with oil. you can bend a rod if it hydraulics.
if the exhaust valve control cable hasn't been dicked with you shouldn't have to recalibrate them.
that being said the cable does stretch over time so if you are going to the dealer you might as well have it done.
getting the break in period reset. probably should with new components being installed. dealer with dig wrench.

bc_oly

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Can buy that tool direct from Polaris (or build one myself) ?

In the service manual it mentions that the exhaust valve assembly needs to be calibrated if you replace the cylinder or disassemble valves. I assume this is for clearance if you replace the cylinder? Worst case for me I have to get my cylinder replated but it will be the same cylinder so I assume I should be ok? I also have no intention of disassembling power valves, I will clean them as best I can without tearing them apart.

Any comments on my timing? Again in the service manual there are steps to reset that, is that required because I will be disassembling my bottom end?

Can anyone comment on the difficulty of this work? Can a moderately talented weekend warrior mechanic take this on?

Top Bottom