Tires, again.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would start out at 45 PSI all the way around...and you could probably run a little less in the rear if you're running empty in the box. Rotate them every 5-7000kms

I run around 60-65 front and about 40-45 rear when empty. Seems to ride and wear well around there for me on my 3/4 cummins 4wd

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cale, I believe you are running stock or close to stock size A/T's? If so, these sizes in an A/T are a little more forgiving on tire wear with higher pressures, compared to a wider tire. Wider Toyo's tend to cup in the center when brought up to higher pressures. For instance, I run 35-37 PSI in my fronts and 30-32 PSI rear (37x13.5R17 M/T's) when empty and bring the rears up to match the fronts when towing or hauling. My tires wear perfectly flat with no cupping.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the toyo open country mt was a good tire till my tread FELL OFF with about 60%left driving down the qe 2 and noticed rubber coming up by my mirror pulled over and BOTH front tires tread was peeling off in chunks however most miles were on willow, emerson etc around edson/hinton so perhaps sharp rocks played a role but have not had that issue with any other tire

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's an odd one!! We pre ran and raced the Baja 1000 one year and then pre ran the next year on the same set of production Toyo M/T's (severe, sharp and rocky terrain) at 18 psi on a Dodge with CTD. Not one flat or tread issue. As a matter of fact my neighbour is still rolling that set of tires on his daily driver today.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 35/12.50/18 and have 86000 km on them and are great wear on them yes ready to change before winter but also on a 2012 3500 ram mega and can't complain.

Last edited by a moderator:

rizzman

Reaction score
I've run the Toyo A/T's for years already. The first two sets were 285/75/17's. I got 40,000kms out of each set. I now have the Extreme 35's and they are wearing quickly as well. Rotated every 5,000kms and no burnouts. I really like how these tires handle in summer, winter and rain and can handle heavy loads but they are very expensive and just don't seem to last very well. I'm thinking about going with the Nitto Trail Grappler next but I don't think they will last any longer. I guess if I wanted an inexpensive long lasting tire I should have stuck with the stock size. Ya right.

FYI, I pull heavy almost every day with that truck. It works hard everyday. 2006 Dodge 3500 CTD.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have Toyo AT's on a work truck, jesus they are loud on dry pavement. Maybe just me though.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the new Dick Cepek AT?
Forman at work put a set on and quite on highway and good looking tread.
Terra Grapplers ? Never again
Toyo AT 2 ? Never again
Both above tires are nice traction and ride but wear way to fast. 35-40 k and done.
Good year Duratracs 60000 and still not bad

Last edited:

rizzman

Reaction score
The trouble (at least for me) is finding a decent 10 ply AT tire in a 35" that handles well and lasts longer than 40k. I've heard the Toyo MT lasts longer but its terrible in snow and ice. Typical for a mud tire.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Suggesting the general grabber at2 ... Excellent all around tire...... Toyos fair for mileage, terra grappler at fair for mileage(currently running these on my 3500 dodge).... Tire pressures on the big 10 ply tires I start at 45 psi and adjust up from there... More when loaded of course. I have 50psi all the way around in the nittos right now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toyo AT's are a terrible winter tire and wear fast. Hancock dynapro's are a good tire. Great in winter and got 60,000 km out of them. Both were quiet on the highway. Had general grabber AT2's before I sold my truck and they seemed good. Didn't get to try them in winter though.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duratracs all the way they hold up to all the abuse my Raptor dishes out and I run them all year round

rollthecoal

Reaction score
I ran 3 or 4 sets of Dick Cepek FC2's in a row. Awesome tire on gravel got 80-100k out of each set. For some reason decided to try Nitto Trail Grapplers this time. They are almost done after 30k, this will be my last set.

What about the new Dick Cepek AT?
Forman at work put a set on and quite on highway and good looking tread.
Terra Grapplers ? Never again
Toyo AT 2 ? Never again
Both above tires are nice traction and ride but wear way to fast. 35-40 k and done.
Good year Duratracs 60000 and still not bad

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was really pleased with my Duritracs the first winter I had them, but not so much last winter. I'm not sure if it was becuase they didn't perform as well after a year of wear or if was because of all that f-f-f-freezing rain we had.

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love my Duratracs, on year 3 with them and no complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have the duratracs on the ol ford, don't think i will purchase them again, will see how they do in the first snow storm or two. they are experiencing heavy wear. likely go back to m55 toyo's

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
It's funny..... Have lots of customers and some swear by different tires for sure and brand loyal..... Some conclusions: Duratracs excellent on chev/gmc, not so good on ford/dodge / general at2 good on all / bfg's not good on dodges / toyo's and cepeks good on dodge/ford ..... Some tires better on some vehicles and not so much on others... My brother inlaw worked for michelin,uniroyal,goodrich and this was somewhat his opinion too. As a fun fact, actually the best michelin tire didn't work so good on caravan's -- worn out after 50k, but every other vehicle was 100k wear, and we found some of the cheaper tires wore incredibly well on caravans..... Funny stuff, tires are

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's funny..... Have lots of customers and some swear by different tires for sure and brand loyal..... Some conclusions: Duratracs excellent on chev/gmc, not so good on ford/dodge / general at2 good on all / bfg's not good on dodges / toyo's and cepeks good on dodge/ford ..... Some tires better on some vehicles and not so much on others... My brother inlaw worked for michelin,uniroyal,goodrich and this was somewhat his opinion too. As a fun fact, actually the best michelin tire didn't work so good on caravan's -- worn out after 50k, but every other vehicle was 100k wear, and we found some of the cheaper tires wore incredibly well on caravans..... Funny stuff, tires are

I find that where i drive the m55 do well, not as good luck with toyo ats. Gravel and oilfield roads chew the crap out of most tires, Bfgs i won't ever buy again, they were beyond the worst tire i ever had. Definitely need 10 ply tires in the oil industry

Top Bottom