Winter tires on a diesel

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unfortunately kal tire are the exclusive dealer for nokians. Good tire but lousy tire dealer. Their service sucks

They are exclusive but there is other tires shops that sell them. I got my Nokians from a small tire shop in a town of maybe 700 ppl. $80 less on each tire than the internet kal price.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
90k on a set of truck tires ?? I have never gotten any where close to that .
Best i have done is 68k in my dmax with a set of Duratracs.
Have seen guys get higher milage out of street tires on mostly pavement.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
90k on a set of truck tires ?? I have never gotten any where close to that .
Best i have done is 68k in my dmax with a set of Duratracs.
Have seen guys get higher milage out of street tires on mostly pavement.

Man wtf do you guys do to your tires? Or are you changing them out at 50% or something? I ran the first set nearly bald on 2 to hit 90k but other 2 still had decent tread.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man wtf do you guys do to your tires? Or are you changing them out at 50% or something? I ran the first set nearly bald on 2 to hit 90k but other 2 still had decent tread.

LOL
Yeh I consider mine done at about 25%
I hate bald tires and spend most of my time off highway and hate flats and no traction .

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lot of off Highway miles as well. I think gravel + heavy loads doesn't help either. I used to get 90k+ out of tires on my 3/4 ton gas trucks. I might get close to that out of these Toyos I'm running now.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the Nok lt2 studded. This is my 3rd year. They are holding up ok for a 1 ton tire, with the middle section losing their siping. I’m more concerned about dropping studs. I’m down to about 70% left, but I guess that’s assumable with the amount of torque on the tire pulling heavier loads.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got 4 or 5 season from my Copper discovery, studded with a dually duramax and sled deck. The key is to put them on right before the first storm and take them off early spring when the temps rise. Driving on pavement in above zero wears them fast.

backsledder

Reaction score
I’ve got the Nok lt2 studded. This is my 3rd year. They are holding up ok for a 1 ton tire, with the middle section losing their siping. I’m more concerned about dropping studs. I’m down to about 70% left, but I guess that’s assumable with the amount of torque on the tire pulling heavier loads.

My NOK LT 2 also lost studs, KAL tire has warrantied mine, twice now. I now have the NOK LT 3, I had two years on the last set, cost me the price of one tire under warranty to replace all four this year. I would check with KAL tire on warranty. Other than the tires loosening studs, they still are excellent on ice and wear well. I drive 3500 Chevy Diesel.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been running studded cooper M+S on my duramax and been quite happy with them. Awesome traction on snow and ice. I run 275/65/20 . Summers I run 35/12.5/20 and huge difference between cutting and floating on snow
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191122/221c6241ba5f83202719f2491f9b9b36.jpg

Running Cooper Discoverer 265/70-17 on Duramax 2500 for my Winter set. Got 3 winters and one summer (to burn the last bit off) from the last set and just put another new set on. Roughly 95,000 km out of the first set is fine in my books.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a set for my SuperDuty. Glad to hear they are a good tire Ron.
Just got them installed today. They must be a lot softer sidewalls than my factory Michelins . Truck feels like it moves side to side a bit on dry pavement?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those tires turn into crazy carpets once that center sip get low. Watch out. The end is near.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running Cooper ms sudded on my 16 3500dmax long box and love them second winter and pull a 30' trailer with either mini hoe or skidsteer with good control and traction

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running Cooper Discoverer 265/70-17 on Duramax 2500 for my Winter set. Got 3 winters and one summer (to burn the last bit off) from the last set and just put another new set on. Roughly 95,000 km out of the first set is fine in my books.

Is that 100% highway miles? I tried those two winters ago and didn't even get 30,000 out of them, tried the duratracs studded but as soon as the studs begin to recede (20-30,000ish) they weren't worth a **** either. This winter I went with the good year ultragrip this year and studded them, seem to be holding up ok but only 5,000 so far.

LMLCHEVY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that 100% highway miles? I tried those two winters ago and didn't even get 30,000 out of them, tried the duratracs studded but as soon as the studs begin to recede (20-30,000ish) they weren't worth a **** either. This winter I went with the good year ultragrip this year and studded them, seem to be holding up ok but only 5,000 so far.

No complaints at all with dtracs I’ve run. Both studded and not. The ones I have now that are studded with 45k on them are still good and most of the studs are even still pointy. You must have gotten some chitty studs installed or they were Canadian tire tires.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always run dedicated winters on my one tons. Makes a difference for sure! Avalanche extremes for last few seasons. This winter is the General Grabber Arctic LT studded. Designed and built specifically for heavy trucks. Already noticed they are less squirrelly than others I have tried. Traction off the line seems great as does braking distance. Rated real well on lots of sites.
I’m also running a set of studded general grabber arctics on a CC diesel .... they seem pretty decent. Not sure about the longevity, I only put 5-6k a winter on them.

Last edited:

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have 500km on my nok lt3 very pleased with them. Today we took the bush rigs out. we all had our diesels with trailers and truck on the trailers. We had a a verity if bush road/ off road in deep snow to get to the staging area. These tires out did buddies studded coopers m+s and put the duratracks to shame. Now I need to wait 3 or 4 years to see how long they last. As of today 5 star in 3 years maybe I’ll change the star rating lol.

d133915b009f54506575bc23c2e331fc.jpg

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
45,000k on the BF KO 2. Used to run duratracs previously figured id give the BF a shot. They have been decent both trailering and with just the sled deck. Bit loud on the highway. Like any tire, rotate them every 10,000 and you will get the life out of them. I'm sure i'll get another 20,000k out of them.

Top Bottom