the untold problem 2008 09 polaris 800 eng failures

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since I’m going to Golden this weekend I took the exhaust valves off to take a peek. The engine has been running great, but I have minor scaring on both piston skirts and some blow-by on the mag side. I have only 450 km on the sled. Now I need to decide to risk it and bring a tow rope, or take the wife’s Phazer.:tearhairout: Polaris better get this mess sorted out!:rant:

yoggibear

Reaction score
Since I’m going to Golden this weekend I took the exhaust valves off to take a peek. The engine has been running great, but I have minor scaring on both piston skirts and some blow-by on the mag side. I have only 450 km on the sled. Now I need to decide to risk it and bring a tow rope, or take the wife’s Phazer.:tearhairout: Polaris better get this mess sorted out!:rant:
as far as i know the 800 2008 2009 only and they the factory know that it is the fuel injectors which are bosch and some of them are washing the piston walls so they will be going to mitsibishi and will replace all of them for everybody and give warranty till 2010 wow that is good hope this helps u gl marcel

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as far as i know the 800 2008 2009 only and they the factory know that it is the fuel injectors which are bosch and some of them are washing the piston walls so they will be going to mitsibishi and will replace all of them for everybody and give warranty till 2010 wow that is good hope this helps u gl marcel

I hope your right, and I hope that fixes the problems. Despite the engine issues, I love this sled.

yoggibear

Reaction score
they found out the prob and they got one eng to fail at the factory and the prob is with the fuel injectors some do not spray properly in the eng and it washes the walls and u know the rest of the story they now have bosch injectors and they are going to mitsibishi injectors and then they also reflash it mine will also get all this done if i were u i would take my sled to the moutains but i would add oil to the gas and when u r done this year then get them to put the short block in pistons and head and injectors i hope i helped u gl marcel

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

have minor scoring on mine also along with blow-by,550 miles on it.running premium fuel,wires unplugged add oil to gas on colder days.will be switching to polaris blue oil when ves runs out,pull ex valves after every ride anyway!!!
going to mcbride at easter,just won't ride in the mid range just wfo lol.this is the second motor in it,complete short-block assem.i would take it and ride the pi$$ outa it.good luck!!!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a note guys.. I'd also addd about 2gallons of C111 race gas per tank of fuel.. I have a buddy who has done this and the sled runs way better and hasn't missed a beat yet.. He has no scoring on pistons and has close to 1000miles on his '09 dragon 800.. Also to eliminate the slider burning off issue he installed a set of hyperfax and he hasn't had any isssues there either. Just thought i'd let you all know to hopefully help you guys make it thru the rest of the season without failures as this is what seems to have worked well for us.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 800 dragon 163, going to make its first trip this weekend. It has not had the re-flash yet. Should i get it done before I ride? I will also try the 2 gal of c111 in each tank and 500ml of extra oil as well.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard of guys still blowin e mup after reflash and my buddies aint been back to the dealer since dec all's he done is run race gas.

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have a 1000 miles on sliders on my 155.only added wheel kit and be aware of snow conditions!!!!

Dragon 8

Reaction score
I hear you i am dealing with aop also my 08 800 dragon 155 has to be the most frustrating vehicle i have dealt with in 30 years. AOP has done what they can Polaris is for sure off my christmas card list. I have just about had with Polaris if they would just get a fix i might look at keeping it i like the sled when it runs which is about every other weekend

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear you i am dealing with aop also my 08 800 dragon 155 has to be the most frustrating vehicle i have dealt with in 30 years. AOP has done what they can Polaris is for sure off my christmas card list. I have just about had with Polaris if they would just get a fix i might look at keeping it i like the sled when it runs which is about every other weekend

I hear you......they have been great. They just got mine together yesterday. Polaris has put a bad taste in everyones mouth.....but look at the alternatives. I really like the way mine rides....if only Polaris would make it reliable. They are going the have a solution be the middle of May (it does nothing for this year) and by the sounds of things they've got it narrowed down. Have you called the customer service line?.....it sure felt great to tell them to pull their heads out of their asses. I asked Mel if he had heard anything about the injector problems they have found but Polaris hasn't told him anything YET!!! I think we should start a lawsuit.....just for the inconvience!!!

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 700 that completely grenaded the motor at christmas. 6 miles after polaris put an entirely new short block in it blew AGAIN. They said it was flashing codes that they have never seen!! WTF? it should be back together for the weekend and i am going to abuse that thing to see how it holds up. Until all this started happening the sled ran awesome. I dont know what is going on with it now??

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have minor scoring on mine also along with blow-by,550 miles on it.running premium fuel,wires unplugged add oil to gas on colder days.will be switching to polaris blue oil when ves runs out,pull ex valves after every ride anyway!!!
going to mcbride at easter,just won't ride in the mid range just wfo lol.this is the second motor in it,complete short-block assem.i would take it and ride the pi$$ outa it.good luck!!!

I got through the weekend without any problems. The engine ran great. I added a bit of oil to each tank of premium. My season is over now, so I’m just patiently sitting back and waiting for the “official fix”. Whatever that may turn out to be.:beer:

yoggibear

Reaction score
I hear you......they have been great. They just got mine together yesterday. Polaris has put a bad taste in everyones mouth.....but look at the alternatives. I really like the way mine rides....if only Polaris would make it reliable. They are going the have a solution be the middle of May (it does nothing for this year) and by the sounds of things they've got it narrowed down. Have you called the customer service line?.....it sure felt great to tell them to pull their heads out of their asses. I asked Mel if he had heard anything about the injector problems they have found but Polaris hasn't told him anything YET!!! I think we should start a lawsuit.....jus

yoggibear

Reaction score
I hear you......they have been great. They just got mine together yesterday. Polaris has put a bad taste in everyones mouth.....but look at the alternatives. I really like the way mine rides....if only Polaris would make it reliable. They are going the have a solution be the middle of May (it does nothing for this year) and by the sounds of things they've got it narrowed down. Have you called the customer service line?.....it sure felt great to tell them to pull their heads out of their asses. I asked Mel if he had heard anything about the injector problems they have found but Polaris hasn't told him anything YET!!! I think we should start a lawsuit.....jus
polaris is going to replace all the fuel injectors they will put in mitsibishi inj in that is going to clear the prob i hope lol ty yoggi

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks Yoggie bear it is good that your looking after the Situation. Go get em Tiger!!!:d:d:d

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a note guys.. I'd also addd about 2gallons of C111 race gas per tank of fuel.. I have a buddy who has done this and the sled runs way better and hasn't missed a beat yet.. He has no scoring on pistons and has close to 1000miles on his '09 dragon 800.

If this works then it says to me that the issue isn't with the injectors or fuel mapping but rather a problem with the electronics controlling the spark timing and/or variable exhaust valve opening. Playing with the fuel delivery is a poor way to overcome the issue.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this works then it says to me that the issue isn't with the injectors or fuel mapping but rather a problem with the electronics controlling the spark timing and/or variable exhaust valve opening. Playing with the fuel delivery is a poor way to overcome the issue.

A couple of guys on snow west said they were running a race gas mix and their engines still blew up.:confused:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of my dad's completely disinigrated his 800 dragon at 66 miles (nothing left of the engine at all), also another guy I know rented an 800 dragon and blew it up 2nd day on the hill, it had 600 miles, and two of my buddies just came back from Montana 2 days early because they both blew their 800's up back to back days, whew, what a fantastic sled. To still buy polaris junk after that you'd have to be on dope.:d

Top Bottom