Hope this works...

Attachments

• polaris800letter.jpg
    polaris800letter.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 112

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another D8 down! My bro squeaked his on the weekend going into Lucile.

rvt22

Reaction score
that sucks!!! you should push your dealer for a complete short block assembly,tell them this one has blown too many times.mine is still goin,but i pull exh valves after every 100 miles for a look see!!!

Hold on 800 Owners,
The reflash that came out a a few weeks ago was for improved running and performance, and from the large # that we reflashed and also my own, did make a difference in performance and also @ idle. Now the failures, {got this 1st hand}, that when the units are being run around 4800-6000 RPM, we are told that the back-charge that the engine is experiencing @ those RPM, from the exhaust pipe, the temp of that backcharge is farr higher than seen before causing the exhaust side of the piston start to melt, smearing alum. over rings, scoring cylinder, causing loss of compression, and we all know what happens next. We have been informed that Polaris RIGHT NOW is evaluating and validating the repair and within the next 45-60 days we will be informed of the needed update to motors and the repair will be more than just a reflash. They also told us that ALL units will be repaired, regardless of being in warranty or not, {stock units that is}, and will have all units repaired before the summer is out. So all please hold on and units will be repaired once and for all. Believe me Polaris is working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to get the best units back on the snow. We have also found that if the units are being ridden WOT most of the time, those units don't seem to fail, mine has not and thats how I ride mine.. So hang on, a fix is coming. DON"T LOOSE FAITH... Polaris will come through. Thanks rvt22

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is strange how a buddy of mine who has an '09 dragon 800 hasn't had any issues and all's he did was mix 2gallons of race gas in per tank and it runs way better and has no issues.. On our rental poo's we've had motors go down but we have also had the pipe cover on all of them split.. I must say that poo has been good about warrantying it all and decent turn around time.. But When rentals are down you dont just lose riding time you lose revenue from them.. We do a compression test and pull exh valves after every two days that they are out for rental.It just sucks that there wont be a fix before the season is over.

Last edited:

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: the untold problem 2008 09 Polaris 800 eng failures

The owner of the dealership that I bought my 800 Shift from came to my work to tell me about this,also said not to run the machine at 30-60% throttle for extended amounts of time. I have also heard of the no problems with machines that run 10% race fuel.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a poo guy but they seem to have stepped up alot quicker than BRP did with their 08 XP issues.......

162 Wizzy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode with a fella yesterday on a Dragon. 300+ miles and lost a cylinder. Very frustrating. Good to see Polaris is stepping up but still quite an inconvenience.
His season is done.

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well boys I just turned 860 miles on my dragon and it's getting stronger every day.... not one issue after the Jan. reflash.....have never taken out a piston or even looked....

Sorry but there has to be more than one 09 800 Dragon on here with no probs...:confused:

turbo RMK

Reaction score
hey guys the problem with those 800 dragons is not with the oil pumps its the fuel mapping mid range about 4500-7000rpm engine runs way to lean and I don't know why polaris is taking so long to come out with a new GOOD reflash beacuse even with the new motors under warranty and the dealer saying it's all good with a new reflash it's crap still no different from when it was new if you want to fix the problem your self go pick up a power commander 3 BEST because it just plugs into your harness no cutting wires but even anyother fuel programmer and add more fuel to the mid range and you be fine

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a problem with the 600 engine.

I ride with a fellow on a 09 600shift and he is a pretty mellow rider but when i take it seems to cut out (not really a bog the engine just cuts out for a second) when you have it pinned then slack off for a second then pin it again. For example hill climbing and coming over a rise I slacked off for a second to minimize the wheelie and then when i cracked it again there was nothing then i almost got stuck. Could also just be that it is a polaris hah j/k the sled is pretty impressive 600 other than that little problem.

Anyway if anyone knows anything about any info appreciated...

He had it reflashed once but it still does it.

Service Guy

Reaction score
hey guys the problem with those 800 dragons is not with the oil pumps its the fuel mapping mid range about 4500-7000rpm engine runs way to lean and I don't know why polaris is taking so long to come out with a new GOOD reflash beacuse even with the new motors under warranty and the dealer saying it's all good with a new reflash it's crap still no different from when it was new if you want to fix the problem your self go pick up a power commander 3 BEST because it just plugs into your harness no cutting wires but even anyother fuel programmer and add more fuel to the mid range and you be fine

The problem is with the pistons and exhaust port heat. More specifically, they are currently trying 3 different piston sizes and have a newly designed cylinder they are trying. The ONLY reason they have been playing with fuel mapping is to try and cool the engine down by dumping fuel in the mid range. this is just a quick fix to try and get through the season. proper repair will be done through the summer when testing is completed. Polaris is not going to rush this because they want to do it right the first time.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem is with the pistons and exhaust port heat. More specifically, they are currently trying 3 different piston sizes and have a newly designed cylinder they are trying. The ONLY reason they have been playing with fuel mapping is to try and cool the engine down by dumping fuel in the mid range. this is just a quick fix to try and get through the season. proper repair will be done through the summer when testing is completed. Polaris is not going to rush this because they want to do it right the first time.

Second time

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was going to buy a poo this year but i got a summit sure am glad i did that:d:d runs great best sled I've ever had

BrosBeforeHos

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a problem with the 600 engine.

I ride with a fellow on a 09 600shift and he is a pretty mellow rider but when i take it seems to cut out (not really a bog the engine just cuts out for a second) when you have it pinned then slack off for a second then pin it again. For example hill climbing and coming over a rise I slacked off for a second to minimize the wheelie and then when i cracked it again there was nothing then i almost got stuck. Could also just be that it is a polaris hah j/k the sled is pretty impressive 600 other than that little problem.

Anyway if anyone knows anything about any info appreciated...

He had it reflashed once but it still does it.

I just had a friend of mine blow up his 600 Shift.....my eight hundred was doing the same thing. You got the Jan 27/09 reflash??? May be the electrical side, weak coil??? They have been having problems with the fuel injection on most of the eight hundreds. I guess the 600 weren't exempt from this either.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

get it right the first time?? It's been going on for two years now..

Top Bottom