Stock turbo t3 from doo for 2016

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will see a 4 stroke in the T3 before a turboed 2stroke
I think we will both be happy next year Ron. I've been digging a lot into building a boosted 900 and the majority of information I've run into says the aftermarket is holding off on building anything until atleast this years snow check. I think there's something going on there, especially if I read between the lines on the feedback I've gotten. I know last year BRP bought and was testing a few 900's with boost from a pretty reputable aftermarket company. 900 weighs about 25 lbs lighter than the 1200, and only 15lbs more than the 800 etec from what I've been told, so it' reasonable. Either way, planning to be back on a boosted 4tec next year.

Last edited:

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Weight, Weight. That is a primary consideration for me in the mountains. We are seeing more and more tree riders and less of the point and click guys. Sure there is a rush when hill climbing, but I like to hit the dirtiest trees I can find and weave my way through them, as do most of my riding group. That being said, the 4 strokes need alot of work to get the weight down where You dont feel like the machine rode you all day. Logical step would be to offer a turbo 2 stroke, or at least endorse a manufacturer to supply a system with a one year warranty. Build a turbo friendly stock machine and make a bolt on system. Very Dooable.
The turbo systems are very close to being pull and go now. We will see I guess.

PINandPRAY

Reaction score
Couple things that come to mind

Roughly what would a factory turbo T3 cost? T3s are a pretty expensive as is, a lot of T3s on kijiji right now.. is it because guys cant afford the current price tag? who knows..
Would a low boost, possibly minimal to no warranty program be appealing when considering the aftermarket world?(bang for your buck)

How appealing is a factory turbo to the every day joe when factoring in where a stock machine takes ya these days and price point? I just cant see any manufacturer doing this unless they are in desperate need of catching up in the mountain market and thats even a stretch given risk of failure. 4 stroke Yamahas have been next to flawless working with turbos for years and they just started a turbo program with warranty.

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will never see a factory turbo 2 stroke with any warranty at all......stop dreaming. The market for this is way too small to start with. It shortens the life of a 2 stroke considerably and warranty would kill the manufacturer. Especiallly when guys would want to play with the boost. No way its a financially feasible business move for any of them. 4 strokes only.

And like pin and pray says....factoring in where a stock machine takes ya these days its not needed for 90% of the people who buy these things. On top of that the cost if they did bring one out on top of what we pay now would be ridiculous. T3 would be pushing $20,000. Not gonna happen. If you want a turbo spend the 5 or 6 grand extra and throw your warranty away.

They will keep getting lighter and you will see a belt drive system soon im sure, The power thing will come in the form of a bigger displacement motor, not a turbo 800.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we will both be happy next year Ron. I've been digging a lot into building a boosted 900 and the majority of information I've run into says the aftermarket is holding off on building anything until atleast this years snow check. I think there's something going on there, especially if I read between the lines on the feedback I've gotten. I know last year BRP bought and was testing a few 900's with boost from a pretty reputable aftermarket company. 900 weighs about 25 lbs lighter than the 1200, and only 15lbs more than the 800 etec from what I've been told, so it' reasonable. Either way, planning to be back on a boosted 4tec next year.
I would bet a lot on a 900 ace summit sooner than later made a few calls to find some info on a ace turbo and got the just wait ??? Was out with your old animal and got a chance to ride a etec turbo for a bit and guess which I perferred NO comparison TORQUE was missing, and the etec had LOTS of cash in it, lighter but not as fun on the cutlines we were on.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you will never see a factory turbo 2 stroke with any warranty at all......stop dreaming. The market for this is way too small to start with. It shortens the life of a 2 stroke considerably and warranty would kill the manufacturer. Especiallly when guys would want to play with the boost. No way its a financially feasible business move for any of them. 4 strokes only.

And like pin and pray says....factoring in where a stock machine takes ya these days its not needed for 90% of the people who buy these things. On top of that the cost if they did bring one out on top of what we pay now would be ridiculous. T3 would be pushing $20,000. Not gonna happen. If you want a turbo spend the 5 or 6 grand extra and throw your warranty away.

They will keep getting lighter and you will see a belt drive system soon im sure, The power thing will come in the form of a bigger displacement motor, not a turbo 800.

lol And how much were sled 10-15 years ago? I thought 10g was a lot than.

I predict a etec2 making more ponies and maybe a mtn specific chassis in the near future,😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sketch96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it was alot back then and it is alot now!.

a stock turbo 2 stroke in the $20,000 range with no warranty Im pretty sure would not be a great seller, especially after adding taxes on top!

I think it has gotten to the point of topping out price wise. Doo is the priciest of the 3 already. The dealer here was looking at I believe almost $17000.00 for the T3 174 this year. crazy. The guys with lots of money can spend on aftermarket stuff and then when they go to sell it they lose big time. Lucky to get .50cents on the dollar for used turbo sleds. At least not around here anyway. No one wants to buy a stressed out used turbo 2 stroke with anymore than a year on it.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was once told by a pretty reliable source with brp that right now the power levels of these machines are considerd high by government legislation and insurance! You may see hp levels rise slightly but they are under scrutiny already. Trying not to ruffle feathers they are ramping up at a snails pace in order to keep in buisness. So I doubt you'll see any serious mods from any mfg out of the ordinary :(

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was once told by a pretty reliable source with brp that right now the power levels of these machines are considerd high by government legislation and insurance! You may see hp levels rise slightly but they are under scrutiny already. Trying not to ruffle feathers they are ramping up at a snails pace in order to keep in buisness. So I doubt you'll see any serious mods from any mfg out of the ordinary :(

what about that turbo maverick

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
right. but highest in its class with a turbo tag to go with it

Yah you bet, I just don't see doo breaking into the 4stroke mtn sled segment with or without a turbo, they had one but pulled it before it even got to snowcheck.

Etec2 with a power boost is my guess tho great engine and from what I've been reading on the evinrude sites the etec2 could possibly make it even better, plus doo is up for a chassis change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421130914.843651.jpg

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
i guess LAME is different for everyone. i think its a friggn monster and an absolute rush to ride in the tight steep trees. ya it doesnt go 100mph so if you like climbing big open stuff its likely not as exhilarating i guess

Ya man totally agree with this. I have been hacking this sled into spots I never thought possible. Also chop the throttle and it floats right back on top and get on it again and go. Only issue I am finding is when you get a bit steep and bury it in your 6' down in a trench.

The he technology is there for a stock turbo 2 stroke and with all the monitoring they would be able to tell right away if anything was altered for warranty purposes. I think it would be very sensitive on the det sensor side of things just because of the variations in fuel quality from the pumps.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your happy with the power, That's all that matters.. Turbo is like a addictive drug, it Fangs go in real deep when it bites...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a demographic out there that wants that big 4 stroke turbo power. Unfortunately it is small. I think we are seeing an evolution in how we all ride. You just don't see the big lineups at the bottom of the hills anymore taking there turn at the hill. Lots of peeps are hiding in the trees challenging themselves and roaring around in open area's. This is where the 2 stroke turbo smoke shines. Even the big chute climbers are starting to show equal representation from the 2 stroke turbo's. I really believe we will see the manufacturers like Cat, Polaris and Doo offer kits in the future but not factory installed. To small a build number for them and to risky liability wise. Just my :twocents:.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah you bet, I just don't see doo breaking into the 4stroke mtn sled segment with or without a turbo, they had one but pulled it before it even got to snowcheck.

Etec2 with a power boost is my guess tho great engine and from what I've been reading on the evinrude sites the etec2 could possibly make it even better, plus doo is up for a chassis change.

I dont follow the the boat stuff or evinrude, what is the difference between a etec and etec 2?

doubt there will be a chassis change given the t3 just come out.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont follow the the boat stuff or evinrude, what is the difference between a etec and etec 2?

doubt there will be a chassis change given the t3 just come out.

Etec technology was first introduced in the evinrude outboards which helped lower emissions and boosted power. The etec G2 in the outboard world improved upon the etec system and gave that engine better emission and boosted power again.

Top Bottom