Sledders threatened with gun

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This one will be interesting as it plays out, shows the power of portable recording devices / the gopro.

Becoming huge as a dash cam set on loop then pull videos after an incident. Might retire the Contour for this and buy a second Drift Ghost S.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder what the charges will be. Sledders obviously trespassing (and maybe cat homicide lol). Farmer? Assault from smacking the one guy, vandalism kicking the sled, some sort of unlawful use of fire arm? I think the farmer is going to have a bigger headache than the sledders.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it confirm the firearm was loaded??
Regardless, it's not tje route I would have takin, but ive been on both side of this situation. Neither one in this case has my sympathy for what the future holds.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure it matters if the gun is loaded, its what is implied. I still think the farmer was in the right, a person has every right to protect their property, that is until some one is steeling it or trashing it? Like I said before more of this will have to take place before people learn to respect others space and property.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Protect their property???A couple sleds crossing your field warrants a gun toting confrontation???Like I said earlier a lot of assumptions are being made regarding what transpired prior to the video. We obviously don't know the whole story.
not sure it matters if the gun is loaded, its what is implied. I still think the farmer was in the right, a person has every right to protect their property, that is until some one is steeling it or trashing it? Like I said before more of this will have to take place before people learn to respect others space and property.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regardless of what the redneck version of right is I'm pretty sure our crackpot RCMP get fussy when you take the law into your own hands.

SKDeuce

Reaction score
Protect their property???A couple sleds crossing your field warrants a gun toting confrontation???Like I said earlier a lot of assumptions are being made regarding what transpired prior to the video. We obviously don't know the whole story.

Agreed, this is my comment on cbc.ca:

First off I would like to state that I am also a snowmobiler, and a gun owner, and live in a rural area. I think that both parties made mistakes here, but the landowner took it way too far and should be charged. Everyone is stating its ok because he didn't point the gun at them, but what would have happened in the case of an accidental discharge? Why is this kind of confrontation ok in a rural area? Would it be in the city? Say a couple kids rode their bikes across my lawn on the way to 7-11. Is it ok for me to grab my shotgun, chase them down in my truck, kick their bike over, and punch one of them in the head, all while waving a gun around in the parking lot? I hope your answers are no. If he felt threatened by them, he should have called the police, instead of being the aggressor in the situation.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the sledders cross a fence, or ride past a no trespass sign ? Yes the land owner went crazy....gun no....phone yes....but really the snowmobilers should have not been there IF it was posted and fenced

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Agreed, this is my comment on cbc.ca:

First off I would like to state that I am also a snowmobiler, and a gun owner, and live in a rural area. I think that both parties made mistakes here, but the landowner took it way too far and should be charged. Everyone is stating its ok because he didn't point the gun at them, but what would have happened in the case of an accidental discharge? Why is this kind of confrontation ok in a rural area? Would it be in the city? Say a couple kids rode their bikes across my lawn on the way to 7-11. Is it ok for me to grab my shotgun, chase them down in my truck, kick their bike over, and punch one of them in the head, all while waving a gun around in the parking lot? I hope your answers are no. If he felt threatened by them, he should have called the police, instead of being the aggressor in the situation.
cowboyposter.jpg

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the sledders cross a fence, or ride past a no trespass sign ? Yes the land owner went crazy....gun no....phone yes....but really the snowmobilers should have not been there IF it was posted and fenced

So I can drive across your lawn as long as there is no sign posted? Dully noted....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

don't think anyone is saying the sledders should have been there. they have broken a petty trespass law. they left when they figured that out. as drd says if land owner had gun over shoulder on sling, he would likely be ok. but he was swining it around, assalting the people involved and possibly causing damage. all over a petty trespass, that probably wasn't much. he was out of control and threating anyone with a firearm is a serious offence. crow bar time possibly.

SKDeuce

Reaction score
So I can drive across your lawn as long as there is no sign posted? Dully noted....

"The "Saskatchewan trespass to Property Act" (July1, 2009) indicates that a trespass on farm land has not occurred unless the land is fenced and posted, or the owner verbally asks you to leave"

Essentially, yes. Not a perfect law, but it is what it is.

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I seen the sledders were good enough to stop and would probably like to have explained their error, but some hot head farmer took it too far. He should be charged. Has no one on here not made a mistake sledding/quading etc. They could have flipped him the bird and drove off but they stopped. These guys don't look like young kids out wrecking sh.t. You cannot threaten anyone with a firearm. Just holding the gun is a threat, you don't have to point it at anyone. In my opinion the farmer is lucky he never got the sh.t kicked out of him...I guantee he is going to get charged and he should....

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't think anyone is saying the sledders should have been there. they have broken a petty trespass law. they left when they figured that out. as drd says if land owner had gun over shoulder on sling, he would likely be ok. but he was swining it around, assalting the people involved and possibly causing damage. all over a petty trespass, that probably wasn't much. he was out of control and threating anyone with a firearm is a serious offence. crow bar time possibly.

like mike said a lot already... there has gotta be more to this story... i would suggest to you guys that these two sledders have done this before or are the "straw the broke the camals back" don't think this farmer wanted to risk everything for two guys just casually tresspassing... and its not petty when it your land... its very offensive... and repeat offences are like a kick in the nuts...

Either that or the sledders got to close to the shop with the 5000 plant grow in it... lol...

Top Bottom