skidoo hard to turn

climbin

Reaction score
One other thing relating to your first post. Getting stuck every couple feet (which I'm sure is an exaggeration, if it's not the people you ride with need a medal) is usually everything about momentum not necessarily turning. Inexperienced riders seem to always have a tendency to be tentative with the throttle. A little bit of momentum, even 5 mph can make all the difference in the world. Don't mean to come across like a smart a$$ or anything, just thought your first post was pretty genuine and you were asking for help.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One other thing relating to your first post. Getting stuck every couple feet (which I'm sure is an exaggeration, if it's not the people you ride with need a medal) is usually everything about momentum not necessarily turning. Inexperienced riders seem to always have a tendency to be tentative with the throttle. A little bit of momentum, even 5 mph can make all the difference in the world. Don't mean to come across like a smart a$$ or anything, just thought your first post was pretty genuine and you were asking for help.

Ahh yes, the never dying best advice for sledding! Throttle = Friend!:d:d

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hell yea. If you ever get into a jam, more throttle. Then you're either out, or REALLY stuck.

Better to be REALLY stuck than just sorta stuck...:d

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hell yea. If you ever get into a jam, more throttle. Then you're either out, or REALLY stuck.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The throttle is your friend.[/QUOTE]

coming downhill wanting to go back up is a nice skill,,,especialy on the steeps

coming down you need to set an edge so to speak,,, so get sled going down hill then try and get sled on a 45 angle if poss so turning left you would steer right just as you put weight on left side to turn left up the hill,, in deep snow you should be able to drop your shoulder and mash the throttle and get your but near the snow and come up no problem sway bar in or out,,,, in less snow i ussualy put my right foot on left board as I am setting up to turn around use the same technique but instead of dropping shoulder I plant my foot in the snow to strat the turn as it lowers my centre of gravity to get the sled to tip over,,, then mash the throttle and in hard pack you will be coming up fast lol so now you jump to right side with left foot threw the trees:d

it is defineately harder in less snow,,,

just practice on the flats first,,,

good luck

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
That's right if your buddies have to come help dig it out might as well make it worth the effort!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hrm... ill tell the bf to check into that as well

i only have a 146" track... bf rides the 163

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, hopefully its the sled and not the rider :p
I don't want to be a d!ck here, and forgive me for saying....but it is the rider. you are short, and light....I have the exact sled and I can ride it laying on either panel all day, up or down. swaybar connected, skis set to narrow....but I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs.

only advice I could give you is the same as others have said, smash the flipper and commit....hard

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't want to be a d!ck here, and forgive me for saying....but it is the rider. you are short, and light....I have the exact sled and I can ride it laying on either panel all day, up or down. swaybar connected, skis set to narrow....but I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs.

only advice I could give you is the same as others have said, smash the flipper and commit....hard

you bigg azz's lol got that extra leverage,,,, ya Im not so big...Im a tall 5'8" lol and just over the 150lb mark :p,,,

but that gets me more HP to weight ratio so its all good lol
but the lil peeps can toss em too,, just practice then practice again,,,,

and I believe this is a girl asking corect??? good on ya keep ripping the more ya get used to it the less effort that is required

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....grrrr....it wouldn't let me submit my post now its messed up! haha

So I don't remember exactly what I said but here is the shorter version.

When you don't weigh a lot you need to learn how to ride the sled in different ways than people with more mass.

What Johni_T said works well but takes a little practice. When going down hill and for example you want to go left, counter steer to the right and you will need more than just both legs on the left side. Have one foot on the boards and the other ready to plant in the snow. When the sled lays over push your leg down like a pivot and mash the throttle pointing the sled back up hill. This is easier in pow than hard packed.

I weigh in around 150 so I know as well that it can be tough to get the sled to do what you want it to do. Don't be affraid to hang a leg out and go for it.

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also try standing further back on the boards. Having the riser layed back a bit allows you to stand further back and stear the sled with your body weight and not the stearing motion of the handlebars.

Go out and stand on your sled and try to rock it side to side standing way forward. Then stand further back and rock it side to side. You should be able to see what I am trying to explain. This works very well for turning while climbing too. You should be able to basically carve your way through the snow up a hill.

Also if possible try riding with other females. Ones who ride often will have lots of suggestions for you so maybe try posting on the Horsepower Honeys section I think its called. In the end, the XP is a slightly different animal when it comes to riding. They improved it with the 2010's and really made them easier to handle with the 2011's. If possible try out other sleds. I am not a fan of Cats and Polaris but they deffinetly have a different way of handling that somepeople really like.

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also try standing further back on the boards. Having the riser layed back a bit allows you to stand further back and stear the sled with your body weight and not the stearing motion of the handlebars.

Go out and stand on your sled and try to rock it side to side standing way forward. Then stand further back and rock it side to side. You should be able to see what I am trying to explain. This works very well for turning while climbing too. You should be able to basically carve your way through the snow up a hill.

Also if possible try riding with other females. Ones who ride often will have lots of suggestions for you so maybe try posting on the Horsepower Honeys section I think its called. In the end, the XP is a slightly different animal when it comes to riding. They improved it with the 2010's and really made them easier to handle with the 2011's. If possible try out other sleds. I am not a fan of Cats and Polaris but they deffinetly have a different way of handling that somepeople really like.

I really think i need a lot more practice on top of it all!! My bf tries to explain but he's also 6ft tall and 240 lol he doesnt have much trouble moving the sled. Im going to adjust the skis, remove the sway bar and then try it out next year. I'll play around with where to put my feet this weekend if it warms up. I tried out the new Pro RMK and actually its WAY easier to maneuver than mine is.

The more practice I get the easier I think it will be. Thanks for all the advice!!! I wish u guys were on the hill with me instead of bf who has 0 patience hahaha usually ends with someone in the snow and a smack across the helmet :d

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Joni-t's explantion is how you do it, I would also suggest hiring a guide/expert rider for the day to coach you, give Aaron Bernasconi from Golden Snowmobile rental a call.
All the money and set up advise in the world will do nothing for you if your technique is wrong.
I have customers who blame nothing but the sled 100% of the time in my shop, but when I see them on the hill riding I can tell it's not the sled, it's that they are weak, out of shape and ride with no commitment to the throttle and can only get on the throttle when the sled is pointed straight up the hill( so they basically are beginner skill level, yet have owned their sled for a year or have owned many sleds.......).
Next level deep snow sledding is about commitment to body positioning and throttle application, you have to make your sled your bitch or it will make you it's bitch...
Get yourself a Chris Burandt "schooled" video.
Also, why are you running a taller riser ? It will just make your sled harder to turn not easier....

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read this thread it has all the answers for you to make your sled close to the feel of a 2011 on a budget.

https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f460/08-09-xp-spindle-spacers-36910.html

I can walk you through the steps if it is unclear. I too had Simmons on my 08 and addressed all the 08 issues before BRP followed.

4 steps, costing about $300-$400 but each step helps if you chose to do only a few.

1 install Spindle Spacers
2 reposition the forward skid suspension mount position 7/8" down and back.
3 add a limiter strap adjuster for tuning
4 get some offset plates made for those simmons to narrow the skis to 36.5" center to center. With this step you can actually run the sway bar.

For guys with stock skis, switch side to side. Nasty on trail but better in powder

Chris

Last edited:

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so took off the sway bar... WAYYYY better.. its a lil more tippy on the trail but way easier... i had so much fun this weekend trying to play in the powder. now its 100% me...lol

Top Bottom