Patrols

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I feel very fortunate to live in Lac Ste. Anne County. Although our club sometimes may not get the support we would like from council in 6 years I've had 1 (ONE) "encounter" with the local law enforcement with regards to OHV's. As a family we were riding thru AB Beach on our quads, apparently this is a no-no and you have to stick to the designated trail (alleys) I was made to find a ride home to get my truck, and trailer all my machines (5) home and even then I was not issued any fines, just a warning so I was OK with it....

I've met up with patrols back in HHA and conversed, sometimes asked for reg/ins other times not. I've spoken to RCMP while they were radar-ing highway traffic while ditchbanging on hwy 43, very pleasant. And as recently as yesterday, The wife and I were riding (sleds) through the town of Onoway on our way back out to the highway, he was sitting in his truck at the UFA cardlock, I waved, he waved back. I half expected the traditional "whohhh there, lets check the reg/ins" but not even, just a wave and a smile.

Lots of good respectful officers out there... welcome to the site

Bogger..

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats all I'm looking for here.....we've chossen to live in rual part of the county, but feel that the rules are driven by the Sherwood Park residents.....

I feel very fortunate to live in Lac Ste. Anne County. Although our club sometimes may not get the support we would like from council in 6 years I've had 1 (ONE) "encounter" with the local law enforcement with regards to OHV's. As a family we were riding thru AB Beach on our quads, apparently this is a no-no and you have to stick to the designated trail (alleys) I was made to find a ride home to get my truck, and trailer all my machines (5) home and even then I was not issued any fines, just a warning so I was OK with it....

I've met up with patrols back in HHA and conversed, sometimes asked for reg/ins other times not. I've spoken to RCMP while they were radar-ing highway traffic while ditchbanging on hwy 43, very pleasant. And as recently as yesterday, The wife and I were riding (sleds) through the town of Onoway on our way back out to the highway, he was sitting in his truck at the UFA cardlock, I waved, he waved back. I half expected the traditional "whohhh there, lets check the reg/ins" but not even, just a wave and a smile.

Lots of good respectful officers out there... welcome to the site

Bogger..

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site

Your presence is very important to all of us

First to get the facts first hand - rather than 10 pages of "I was Told" threads that turn out to be BS

Second most of us feel we are not getting proper representation for either the Alberta Off Highway or the Alberta Snowmobile Associations administrations in terms of dealing with riding areas, standardized bylaws from a Government level (Every county is different from lax to rigid bylaws) and we need to carry the bylaw books for every county before we even ride in them or face $230.00 tickets to find out on the internet that that is a no ride county. extremely frustrating..

Third - OHV users are NEVER asked for input before area closures. We generally hear about them second hand just months before the actuall closure by Alberta Environmental and Sustainable Resourses Department (SRD)
We (OHV users) are never asked for input -- only told that areas are being shut down -- we never hear of any areas opening up...
The frustration level in Quadding / Snowmobiling has driven many to quit the sport due to lack of Municipal & Government support for these sports which are multi-multi million dollar sports and provide hugh employment back into the communities...
At almost 60 years old and born on east side of Edmonton most my friends moved east onto acrages to recreate from their doors for the past 40 years...with no trailering...now they have to trailer from their rural Strathcona Acrage to ride in Ministik. Because of the NIMBY sundrome (Not In MY Back Yard). But none of the 40 year residents were ever consulted or asked about closeing down local riding in the county....
That alone makes OHV owners so angry that council never even asked for their input before doing a blanket closure of the whole county...

We do realize that Strathcona County has the most horses per capita in North America but also has some of the most complaints of horse neglect and abandonment... so as an OHV user it is an uphill battle against the Horse owners in that County...

For 12 years I have managed Tri-County Snowmobile Club and operate 102KM of snowmobile trails in the Ministik Bird Sanctuary
I set up meetings for residents of County of Strathcona in 2007 at Ministik Hall for a proposed Access Corridor
Set up presentations to Strathcona Council, meetings with Strathcona Administration over this Access Corridor
We are still in the Meeting Stage 6 years later.................. With more meeting this March...
It took 1 - 5 hour meeting by council to close the County down and 6 years of meetings (hundreds or thousands of hours) with still no set futher Corridor Date.. just more meeting dates....

Can you say FRUSTRATION & ANGER....

But still we prevail with the hopes that you can help us to come to a resolve and open an Access Corridor in the County of Strathcona

You HELP is greatly needed

You can PM me anytime regarding Quads / Sleds / County of Strathcona or the Ministik Trail System -- as I know most all of the issues just can not get any concrete answers

Thanks
Brian Beebe
Tri-County Snowmobile Club

OHV COP

Reaction score
Welcome to the site

Your presence is very important to all of us

First to get the facts first hand - rather than 10 pages of "I was Told" threads that turn out to be BS

Second most of us feel we are not getting proper representation for either the Alberta Off Highway or the Alberta Snowmobile Associations administrations in terms of dealing with riding areas, standardized bylaws from a Government level (Every county is different from lax to rigid bylaws) and we need to carry the bylaw books for every county before we even ride in them or face $230.00 tickets to find out on the internet that that is a no ride county. extremely frustrating..

Third - OHV users are NEVER asked for input before area closures. We generally hear about them second hand just months before the actuall closure by Alberta Environmental and Sustainable Resourses Department (SRD)
We (OHV users) are never asked for input -- only told that areas are being shut down -- we never hear of any areas opening up...
The frustration level in Quadding / Snowmobiling has driven many to quit the sport due to lack of Municipal & Government support for these sports which are multi-multi million dollar sports and provide hugh employment back into the communities...
At almost 60 years old and born on east side of Edmonton most my friends moved east onto acrages to recreate from their doors for the past 40 years...with no trailering...now they have to trailer from their rural Strathcona Acrage to ride in Ministik. Because of the NIMBY sundrome (Not In MY Back Yard). But none of the 40 year residents were ever consulted or asked about closeing down local riding in the county....
That alone makes OHV owners so angry that council never even asked for their input before doing a blanket closure of the whole county...

We do realize that Strathcona County has the most horses per capita in North America but also has some of the most complaints of horse neglect and abandonment... so as an OHV user it is an uphill battle against the Horse owners in that County...

For 12 years I have managed Tri-County Snowmobile Club and operate 102KM of snowmobile trails in the Ministik Bird Sanctuary
I set up meetings for residents of County of Strathcona in 2007 at Ministik Hall for a proposed Access Corridor
Set up presentations to Strathcona Council, meetings with Strathcona Administration over this Access Corridor
We are still in the Meeting Stage 6 years later.................. With more meeting this March...
It took 1 - 5 hour meeting by council to close the County down and 6 years of meetings (hundreds or thousands of hours) with still no set futher Corridor Date.. just more meeting dates....

Can you say FRUSTRATION & ANGER....

But still we prevail with the hopes that you can help us to come to a resolve and open an Access Corridor in the County of Strathcona

You HELP is greatly needed

You can PM me anytime regarding Quads / Sleds / County of Strathcona or the Ministik Trail System -- as I know most all of the issues just can not get any concrete answers

Thanks
Brian Beebe
Tri-County Snowmobile Club

Welcome and thank you for joining

Hey guys thank you very much for having me. I feel this is being observed as a good start! I am going to the office on Wed I will take all the concerns up with my Sgt and Superintendent. I will attempt to have this account relate to where I work and reflect my employer then we can really get cracking on making some proactive changes. I think this will only better the OHV community and make it a lot more fun for all of us to ride!

To all the rest out there don't worry my main goal is to in-act change for all of us as a whole throughout the Prov of AB!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brian

Thanks for all of your efforts re the OHV, Ministick and the Tri County club....

Re your comment...."We do realize that Strathcona County has the most horses per capita in North America but also has some of the most complaints of horse neglect and abandonment... so as an OHV user it is an uphill battle against the Horse owners in that County"...

I know I don’t speak for all horse owners, but as a breeder, a rider and family with a couple of competitor’s in equestrian events, we just like all OHV users are not all the same….Our horses are constantly around OHV, heck we have our own “private practice motocross track”.

I am fully aware of how anal some of the horse people are, try taking a Saddle bred to penning events or to a jumping competition, those are for quarter horses and thoroughbreds only, apparently saddlebreds can’t chase cows or jump fences, my then 6 year old saddlebred didn’t care, and out preformed several season veterans.

I even had oneof these people come knock on my door and tell me they were going to call the SPCA re the fact that I wasn’t blanketing our horses in the winter…my then 9year old daughter knew more about horses then she did….

If you everneed a horse families opinion re OHV and horse’s, feel free to look us up, the two different disciplines can co-exist.

Last edited:

PDQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there OHV COP We are having some nice weather in the last week or so AND with that we are getting some unwanted traffic on the SNOWMOBILE TRAILS. "QUADS" are ripping up and down the trails...This is not a good thing as there is a liability issue here.. Not to mention they wreck the trail , and that makes it unsafe for some of our less experienced sledders...This is as bad as our overzealous Grader operators trying to see how high they can pile the grader bank over the trail crossings...

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I follow your explanation, but disagree with one thing, I have a hard time beliving that the majority of "Rual" residents would or have a probblem with riding in the rual area's respectfully.
I beleive as the bulk of the population are not rual we the rual residents loose are voice in council.

Back in my parents subdivision 7 years ago before it grew to the population it has now (20+) there were 7 houses and all had quads/dirtbikes/sleds. No one ever cared about riding, and we even had a track on my parents acreage.

Since more city folk moved out to the country, I've gotten in to fights about riding around. One kid was punched in the face when told to stop. One guy is a city cop and used to threaten to impound everything I own for riding, but he can quad where ever he wants.

I guess what I'm saying is people suck and when they complain they are the ones being heard. RCMP now pass through my parents sub division to tell them to turn around and go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OHV COP

Reaction score
Hey there OHV COP We are having some nice weather in the last week or so AND with that we are getting some unwanted traffic on the SNOWMOBILE TRAILS. "QUADS" are ripping up and down the trails...This is not a good thing as there is a liability issue here.. Not to mention they wreck the trail , and that makes it unsafe for some of our less experienced sledders...This is as bad as our overzealous Grader operators trying to see how high they can pile the grader bank over the trail crossings...

I have forwarded your concerns to my Strathcona County Integrated Traffic Services Peace Officers. They assure me they will be on patrol with a focus on the Trail system and Bruderheim......

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ATVs are against use for our landowner agreements as well as insurance from the ASA. We have posted our trails before and trails are posted now.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Sherwood Park. Back then we could ride sleds in the ditches. Then suddenly no more. Moved to Whitecourt. What a breath of fresh air as far as sledding was concerned. Moved back to Sh Pk and there has to be something done about riding ditches in the county. It's total BS. I'm tired of waiting.

Reactions: RXN

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Sherwood Park. Back then we could ride sleds in the ditches. Then suddenly no more. Moved to Whitecourt. What a breath of fresh air as far as sledding was concerned. Moved back to Sh Pk and there has to be something done about riding ditches in the county. It's total BS. I'm tired of waiting.

me also. grew up in sherwood park. every day after school i would go for a rip from shwp to cooking lake or hastings and back or visa versa. kept seeing the patrols out and said screw it. watched a f350 peace officer dive bomb into the ditch on my way home from work and cut off a family out enjoying the sun. so i tried the mountains and havent been back. which is too bad because its fun to get out on the lakes and ditches once in a while.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should call this county Dracona County not Strathcona County with their heavy handed ways out here. The Councillor for my area is for sledding in the ditches. Hope he makes some noise about it. One of my friends was told by a Peace Officer that it is illegal to ride your quad on the road, but legal to ride your lawnmower on the road. You can ride a horse on the road, but not a sled or quad in the ditch. Safety argument doesn't wash as a horse can get spooked and run into traffic and cause problems. This county is simply anti off road vehicle.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They should call this county Dracona County not Strathcona County with their heavy handed ways out here. The Councillor for my area is for sledding in the ditches. Hope he makes some noise about it. One of my friends was told by a Peace Officer that it is illegal to ride your quad on the road, but legal to ride your lawnmower on the road. You can ride a horse on the road, but not a sled or quad in the ditch. Safety argument doesn't wash as a horse can get spooked and run into traffic and cause problems. This county is simply anti off road vehicle.

may have something with those that rode off road vehicles out there before the law came into effect. must have been because of more than a few idiots.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is always idiots' and the bast$rds are everywhere, but two major contributors as I see it are the City folk that have moved out to the country in their million dollar house on 1.5 acres and they don’t want a horse, quad or snowmobile to go down the ditch....then there’s the % problem, the majority of the voters for the Countyof Strathcona live in Sherwood Park not in the rule area. The voice of the council representing the rural residents is a whisper, as they use the population based system.

Then add a few idiots riding there horse, quad, sled across some guys manicured lawn and all hell breaks loose for the rest of us that are responsible....

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may have something with those that rode off road vehicles out there before the law came into effect. must have been because of more than a few idiots.
Perhaps, but I doubt there are any more idiots here than any other county but you don't see them banning them.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perhaps, but I doubt there are any more idiots here than any other county but you don't see them banning them.

i'm sure thereare those that want it done. all it takes is a few idiots driving around town, down the ditches jumping roads etc. u can drive any county road or trail and see the same idiots doing the same thing. kid gets a quad and wants more power n rips the muffler off and likes to rip up the neighbourhood. or the guy after a few beers thinks that revin up the beast is cool "just tunin er up". i myself have no problem making the phone call to the county sherriff.

this kind of stuff annoys the hell outta people and especially those that don't have the toys. if ya can't police yourselves ya lose the riding area. can't see ya changing the way it is now. to bad a rotten apple has ruined the basket as they say.

Last edited:

gerrit

Reaction score
you know what i think is bull, is registration on atvs and sleds where does that money go ... aparently up keep for highways and so on , now you would think that registation money would go to outfits like ASA or ohv alberta ,for up keep on trails or making new trails .i grew up in the area too and now live in beaver county, things are alittle more slack out here. i guess i better start registering my lawn mower soon too

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
you know what i think is bull, is registration on atvs and sleds where does that money go ... aparently up keep for highways and so on , now you would think that registation money would go to outfits like ASA or ohv alberta ,for up keep on trails or making new trails .i grew up in the area too and now live in beaver county, things are alittle more slack out here. i guess i better start registering my lawn mower soon too

This part I know is going to be changing in the coming years..... We may not like it but laws are laws, I'd rather pay the $50 registration on my ATV & Snowmobile, than be faced with towing, impound, and "no registration" charges.

Top Bottom