OH Deer.... Look what I found !

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
:).... Cute little one in the hay field...Near run him over on the bike !

Attachments

• DSC03398 (Large).jpg
    DSC03398 (Large).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 35

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's normal for them to leave their little ones for awhile.

Bears love finding them... nom nom nom

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where's momma Bambi? So then what?

We had a recent experience with a baby fawn as well, and learned some really interesting facts. Momma Bambies often hide their babies in a safe spot so that they can go eat. Baby Fawns are nearly scentless and will very rarely be discovered. If you find a fawn with no Mommy, you should never assume it has been abandoned and take it. Leave it alone and chances are it will be okay.

We found one on the road near Vermilion a couple of weeks ago. Mommy was a car crash statistic, so we took the fawn home with us. It slept in the bed with my daughter all night, drank water like a trooper and made the funniest little bleating sound. The next day we took it to the Medicine River Wildlife Rehabilitation Center where it would be with other baby deers in the same predicament, as well as a baby porcupine, baby beaver and some owls and ducks.

The fawn weighed barely over four pounds and they figured it was pretty newborn when we found it, although I couldnt find evidence of a recent umbilical stump or placenta etc., Because we had been giving it water, it was a fairly well hydrated little guy and had a good chance of living. Turns out that once the Rehab Center makes sure the fawn is stable and hydrated, they will take it to an area or acreage where lactating does/fawn pairs have been seen. Then, they do a fawn in distress call and the does will actually respond and adopt the fawn. Unlike other animals, does will adopt babies that are not their own, even if they have the smell of humans on them... The Rehab Centre tries to place the fawns with landowners who actively watch/attract deer so that they can keep an eye on the deer's progress. They did 53 of these placings last year...

It was a really cool experience for me and our little girls, and I was happy to see him have a happy ending ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9917.jpg
    IMG_9917.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9923.jpg
    IMG_9923.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 23

Bandit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a recent experience with a baby fawn as well, and learned some really interesting facts. Momma Bambies often hide their babies in a safe spot so that they can go eat. Baby Fawns are nearly scentless and will very rarely be discovered. If you find a fawn with no Mommy, you should never assume it has been abandoned and take it. Leave it alone and chances are it will be okay.

We found one on the road near Vermilion a couple of weeks ago. Mommy was a car crash statistic, so we took the fawn home with us. It slept in the bed with my daughter all night, drank water like a trooper and made the funniest little bleating sound. The next day we took it to the Medicine River Wildlife Rehabilitation Center where it would be with other baby deers in the same predicament, as well as a baby porcupine, baby beaver and some owls and ducks.

The fawn weighed barely over four pounds and they figured it was pretty newborn when we found it, although I couldnt find evidence of a recent umbilical stump or placenta etc., Because we had been giving it water, it was a fairly well hydrated little guy and had a good chance of living. Turns out that once the Rehab Center makes sure the fawn is stable and hydrated, they will take it to an area or acreage where lactating does/fawn pairs have been seen. Then, they do a fawn in distress call and the does will actually respond and adopt the fawn. Unlike other animals, does will adopt babies that are not their own, even if they have the smell of humans on them... The Rehab Centre tries to place the fawns with landowners who actively watch/attract deer so that they can keep an eye on the deer's progress. They did 53 of these placings last year...

It was a really cool experience for me and our little girls, and I was happy to see him have a happy ending

Wish they did that where I live. I was at a farm fire last year when a lady with our local fire department found one caught in a fence trying to get away from the flames. Litlle fella was exhausted. Anyway seeing how the chances of the momma coming back were slim (large fire, heavyequipment, etc) she took it home to care for is. Has a hobby farm with pretty much every kind of critter you can imagine.
Well one of the other ladies on the department was very determined to report her for doing this, so she decided to call fish and wildlife herself and see what she should do. They told her to bring it in and it would be cared for, then released when it was large enough to survive. All fine and well, till she got there and found out all they do is take the baby deer out in the bush and leave nature to take it's course. Left to starve or become a meal for a coyote or bear, whichever comes first.

Needless to say she was very angry over the whole situation. Moral of the story, if you come across one that the mother is killed, or otherwise known for sure that it is on it's own, don't tell anyone about it. My dad raised one on the farm yaers ago, as well as one neighbor that I know of as well, and after there grown natural instict takes over and they leave and survive quite well on there own.

Just my two cents on the whole topic.;)

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooooooooooooo cute........ AND TASTY.........heh..heh... I'd eat the spots right off that critter...:d

SummitMilf

Reaction score
Very Cute, and get stories.

Give him a year or so. More meat on the bones then.

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few years ago we found a little fawn! It was still wet it was so new, we thought at first it was abandoned but left it and checked on it every few hours. After about 8hrs momma came back and he was still wobbly but walking by then! lol So cute! But we did some research after this to find out why momma had left so long and we found out like sledmamma said that fawns have very little scent, so to keep the fawns safe after delivery mom will leave the baby and walk as far away as possible to drop the afterbirth elsewhere so coyotes, bears etc will be attracted to that and baby has a greater chance of survival then. Just thought yall would like to know! ;)

medler

I love guns
Reaction score

It was a really cool experience for me and our little girls, and I was happy to see him have a happy ending ;)

Thats a great story ...Kudos to you and who ever helped ya,,,I have a similiar story about a 2 week old kitten i found ,,,was as big as my hand ,,,,but it didn't end as well..

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awww so cute and maybe with a little luck in a couple years I may be looking at either one of them through the scope on my Tikka T3.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just saw a video last night of a protective deer. The mother had just given birth, and some cats and dogs were scoping out the little critter when the mother went apesnot. Wound up thrashing a dog pretty hard. It's on youtube under 'cranbrook deer'. I sure would not like to be on the receiving end of that punishment. I would link it, but youtube is blocked at work. Search for it if you'd like, but consider this your warning, its pretty heavy.

Top Bottom