Skid Steers

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting a skid steer for the acreage, we have at least a couple years of really needing it around the yard to get things done landscaping wise so looking at picking something up. Used prices on equipment seem insane these days, and trying to find something with lower hours also seems to be a hard task so I started looking at new units. Ive only ever used Case before as thats what I had access to from my cousin and their new units look pretty good. Was also looking at some New Holland (C332) units and Kubota (SVL75). Seems like you over pay for Deere or Cat for a similar machine. Anyone have experience with certain brands? Things they like from one brand to another? Brands to stay away from?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a bobcat s300, great machine but if I was shopping for one I would be looking at the jcb. The sidedoor entry is so much nicer

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have put compact track loader, but looking for a tracked unit.

I forgot about JCB and their units, some nice features for sure.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the same boat as you. With used prices, you may as well buy new it seems. Here for the info

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a older bobcat and a brand new kabota. Ssv75 Both work great, but new iron is always nice. None of these skid steers are cheap these days. Is what it is.

Last edited:

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a kubota SVL95 2.
Great machine, very reliable does everything I need it to but definitely not as refined as the Bobcat. Price was much better though.
My brother is a heavy duty mechanic and he told me to stay away from anything JCB because of the electrical issuse they seem to have. Kubota is nice because it has the slide up the door in front so you can Still get out no matter what height the bucket is at.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We also have a SVL 75 2 speed it has been really good, only 1500 hrs on it but so far so good, looked at upsizing but the price jump is substantial and we just can't justify it for what we need.

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a ASV SR80 with 20” wide tracks, it pretty much floats everywhere but I was able to get it stuck in some peatland once. It also has the overhead door which is a real nice feature during the summertime when doing landscaping work having to get in and out lots. The attachments are like crack once you start buying them but most can be rented too, I’m up to 10 lol. This ASV has been pretty good so far, I did have a Cat tire machine before which was a good little unit. If buying again I would stick with the CTL vs MTL undercarriage, the MTL rides smoother and gets better traction but all those bogey wheels are fairly pricy to replace.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a ASV SR80 with 20” wide tracks, it pretty much floats everywhere but I was able to get it stuck in some peatland once. It also has the overhead door which is a real nice feature during the summertime when doing landscaping work having to get in and out lots. The attachments are like crack once you start buying them but most can be rented too, I’m up to 10 lol. This ASV has been pretty good so far, I did have a Cat tire machine before which was a good little unit. If buying again I would stick with the CTL vs MTL undercarriage, the MTL rides smoother and gets better traction but all those bogey wheels are fairly pricy to replace.
Lot of company's and private peeps I see are using ASV machines, must be ok.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Im going to test a few units when I get home. But finding a new unit in stock is also hard to come by. Looks like equipment manufacturers also offer big incentives to go with cash over financing, complete opposite of the auto world.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MTL are so nice for the traction and ride that’s for sure .
Keep them out of the aggregate as undercarriage is very pricey for these .
I have a Cat 297C XPS with the MTL and it’s a very nice machine .
The high flow is nice as well for Mulcher head and a snow blower .
Would like to try the new model ASV 120 but not for the price of them .

Attachments

• 259E1447-57BA-4FDE-8617-5DC8A32EFF97.jpeg
    259E1447-57BA-4FDE-8617-5DC8A32EFF97.jpeg
    553.9 KB · Views: 109

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MTL are so nice for the traction and ride that’s for sure .
Keep them out of the aggregate as undercarriage is very pricey for these .
I have a Cat 297C XPS with the MTL and it’s a very nice machine .
The high flow is nice as well for Mulcher head and a snow blower .
Would like to try the new model ASV 120 but not for the price of them .
How does that mulcher head work? What kind of trees can you take down?

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a T-190 Bobcat (tracks), single speed. Bought it brand new in 2012 and currently have 950hrs on it. 66hp, Kubota engine, rated at 1900lb lift but i have lifted pallets of paving stones that were around 3000lb. Doesn't have the high flow and have not needed it so far. Would be nice to have a door like the Kubota. Just been used around my acreage and does everything i need it to do. Ya sometimes would be nice to have something bigger but I wanted to stay small and light and the T190 has enough grunt to do what i need it for. One reason I went with a Bobcat was at the time you had the best view/ least obstruction out the windows. The new Bobcats are even better now. The unit has never been in for a repair. Regular engine oil changes and final drive oil changes. This unit can also be run by remote control if you want to buy the controller, was afraid to even ask what that would cost. One other toy to consider is a mini excavator. I bought a used one about 5 years ago. Should have bought one when i built my acreage 20 years ago. Yanmar ViO27,(2.7 ton) have put on 300 hrs since i got it. It is amazing what this little hoe can do for only 20hp.

Last edited:

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a T-190 Bobcat (tracks), single speed. Bought it brand new in 2012 and currently have 950hrs on it. 66hp, Kubota engine, rated at 1900lb lift but i have lifted pallets of paving stones that were around 3000lb. Doesn't have the high flow and have not needed it so far. Would be nice to have a door like the Kubota. Just been used around my acreage and does everything i need it to do. Ya sometimes would be nice to have something bigger but I wanted to stay small and light and the T190 has enough grunt to do what i need it for. One reason I went with a Bobcat was at the time you had the best view/ least obstruction out the windows. The new Bobcats are even better now. The unit has never been in for a repair. Regular engine oil changes and final drive oil changes. This unit can also be run by remote control if you want to buy the controller, was afraid to even ask what that would cost. One other toy to consider is a mini excavator. I bought a used one about 5 years ago. Should have bought one when i built my acreage 20 years ago. Yanmar ViO27,(2.7 ton) have put on 300 hrs since i got it. It is amazing what this little hoe can do for only 20hp.

I have a excavator that I bought near the start of the build, 2002 John Deere 160LC. Older unit but bought it with low hours off a farmer and been great for me for since owning it. I do wish at the time I could have found something a bit smaller for easy of moving it around and not needing a semi but for the price at the time I jumped on it.

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a Thomas t133 for about 5 years. Cheap and worked well . Might be an option for you. Had a kubota diesel too .

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a Chinese brand on kijiji that I saw, Sunward. Their tracked unit is in the size I'm looking for, Kubota engine, bare bones for most things (analog gauges, manual disconnect, ...)? But about $20,000 cheaper.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does that mulcher head work? What kind of trees can you take down?
Just a short video but I cleared everything in front of what I was working on .
Just rented the head from Cat Rental as they are way to expensive and don’t want to get into doing munching as it’s hard on equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_2146.MOV
    70.3 MB

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve run skidsteers since 1980, started with Clark bobcats, strayed a couple times, tried cat (to expensive to repair), tried John Deere twice (electrical issues both times), Thomas was underpowered and visibility was non-existent (earlier ones) and currently have 4 Clark skidsteers, two tracked and two wheeled. Worked around most brands, kubota seemed like a nice machine. If I had to switch brands, I would likely try Case, they seem to be trouble free.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm on my second Kubota ssv65, they have been good machines. The front window is great when doing fencing and jobs with a helper.
Not the fanciest machine but it starts down to -20 without plugging in and was a reasonable price.
Had a couple cats the 289 was a beast, lots of power but damn heavy. Track machines are great in the summer but almost useless in the winter without proper tracks and studs.
I go through 2 pairs of chains every winter doing snow removal, going to try a set of winter specific tires with studs this year.

Top Bottom