My darn Polaris -and me being cheap is just my luck!

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Edge 800, this summer I decided to place a different track on it, well I might as well add a longer track while I was at it. Well, now that I have done that, It hasn't taken long for the repair bills to start adding up. Fisrt my reverse gear cracked in half, then my crank case cracked, and now I found out it was all due to my bearing had gone on the jackshaft. I Took it apart with Smurff1000 and Flatoutandfishtailing on Friday night. I was wondering why I was having trouble getting up to speed, hearing various noises (man am I stupid for not looking at this sooner) and my speedometer stopped working on the last run. The bearing is an easy and inexpensive fix, but the shaft is worn down a bit. So now I have a question.

Should I take the shaft in and have it re-welded and laithed or should I buy a new shaft and new extraverts?

This snowmobiling sure adds up, the wife is going to kill me!

:realmad::realmad::help:

snomofo

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last year---had that clunk for over a month. The clutch side drive shaft bearing went out. I got lucky and found one used that was in good shape----new chain case bearings, seals, driveshaft bearings, jackshaft bearings, and speedo drive in off season. This year everything is great. I was going to buy a new shaft until I found the used---that is the way I would try.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, good luck w that, mine went just before x-mas, I'm still down. check out a few of my posts in this same thread section "anyone got a crank?" for example. Finally ended up going w a new crank with upgraded bearings, depends on what bearing(s) went on the shaft? My middle went so by the time you add up all the labor and parts...you can get a new one for the same price. Their is a few people who can help you out private msg me if you need some info...like i said i've been dealing with this since X-mas.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ouch, my dads clutch side bearing just went today. didn't think anything of it. the speedo went out part way through the ride. sled performed as usual, just a bit a squeeling at lower speeds but you couldn't tell where it was coming from. got home thinking the key had just broke. took it apart and a couple pieces of the bearing came with the cover. from what we can tell the bearing just needs to be replaced. hopefully we can parts and get it fixed for next weekend.

does anybody know of a part number other then polaris for this bearing? just be easier and cheaper to get it from an auto store, because i doubt the polaris place has it in stock.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you call challenger and saylers to see if they have one laying around? if you want a hand workin on it, let me know

snomofo

Reaction score
ouch, my dads clutch side bearing just went today. didn't think anything of it. the speedo went out part way through the ride. sled performed as usual, just a bit a squeeling at lower speeds but you couldn't tell where it was coming from. got home thinking the key had just broke. took it apart and a couple pieces of the bearing came with the cover. from what we can tell the bearing just needs to be replaced. hopefully we can parts and get it fixed for next weekend.

does anybody know of a part number other then polaris for this bearing? just be easier and cheaper to get it from an auto store, because i doubt the polaris place has it in stock.

Bearing # is 3514525, and I had no problem getting it from Polaris, might as well get the speedo key at the same time, #3280017. Make sure you did not damage the chain case bearing---gets pretty expensive if that goes.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score

If you can somehow cross referance it BC Bearing will have it.
catmando!

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ripped it apart last night. It was actually alot better than initially thought. We thought that the shaft had worn down, however the bearing had actually melted on to part of the shaft... So we removed the entire shaft out and sanded it down. I got the bearing and key from Cycle Works, they had it in stock, which tells me that this is a common occurance. Should be back up and running for a run later this week! Thanks to TKO Sled Mod Garage and to Smurff1000 Stony Sledneck Garage for the help and storage of my piece of S*$t! :(

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
glad ya got it figured out. at least its a cheap fix. hopefully i will be up and runnin this week then we can break em in and have a :beer::beer::beer:

rmksledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bearing # is 3514525, and I had no problem getting it from Polaris, might as well get the speedo key at the same time, #3280017. Make sure you did not damage the chain case bearing---gets pretty expensive if that goes.

for us in lloydminster our polaris dealer has nothing like that in stock. onlypolaris, we just take the bearing to FGI and they figure it out if we dont know

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
supprise, supprise. they didn't have it in stock. they don't even stock the key. what a joke. none of the people in their ride the machines so they don't no what breaks so they don't no what to keep in stock. looks like the sled will probably be down for this weekend. we would take it to fgi but the bearing is in a couple pieces.

Flying Pig

Reaction score
bearing is a CS-205 if I remember right, its the same bearing as a 6205 with a tapered outer race. You can get them at any bearing supplier for around $15, from polaris they are more like $40. Edges are famous for losing bearings on the clutch side, lots of times when they go the shaft will pull out of the bearing as well. Speedo going down is almost always a bad bearing. Ratcheting in the track or chaincase is very frequently a bad bearing as well. If you do the chaincase bearings as well make sure you get the right ones from the manufacturer, unless you can get the ones with the rubber seal on one side and the metal one on the other from someone, its doubtful though. They are 6205's. On my 1200 I do bearings every thousand miles, just for insurance. Grease em every ride!
Also on a side note on older polaris sleds and on m-10 skids the idler wheels use 6205s. I've used one of these to get out of a bad spot on my mod before.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well we were able to get it back together this weekend. what a pain in the ass. we had to un bolt the hole rear skid so be able to move the shaft to get the bearing on. then it took like 4 more hours to get the suspension back together. it is so tight, we had to do alot of prying but finally got it.

500efisks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason this bearing should fail is lack of lube. The bearing is subject to alot of moisture and should be lubed at least every 1000 miles. Pump lots of grease in to remove moisture. Most peoples problems with bearings is that they fail to realize the maintenance required. Ride till she fails and then blame the sled. Classic.;)
I lube all bearings every year and never have had any issues.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats what suprised us. we have lubed that bearing twice this year. we are thinking the previous owner did not grease it.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason this bearing should fail is lack of lube. The bearing is subject to alot of moisture and should be lubed at least every 1000 miles. Pump lots of grease in to remove moisture. Most peoples problems with bearings is that they fail to realize the maintenance required. Ride till she fails and then blame the sled. Classic.;)
I lube all bearings every year and never have had any issues.

I lubed my beaing just before the first ride of the season. I do not ride until it fails.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last year---had that clunk for over a month. The clutch side drive shaft bearing went out. I got lucky and found one used that was in good shape----new chain case bearings, seals, driveshaft bearings, jackshaft bearings, and speedo drive in off season. This year everything is great. I was going to buy a new shaft until I found the used---that is the way I would try.

what do you mean my clunk? i have never had a bearing go and thought for sure it would make like a whining noise?? or did it clunk cause it melted to the shaft and everytime it would turn being out of round it would clunk?

Top Bottom