Ministik Strathcona Parking

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
Went out to Minisink sledding yesterday. By-law stopped us to inform us that we are not permitted to park at the side of the road. There were probably 10 trucks on the side not including us. I wanted to call bull**** on him. We were all parked as close to the side and in no way interfering with traffic. Is this true?

Last edited by a moderator:

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
Re: Minisink Strathcona Parking

We were parked on Township RD 510 and west of RR210

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

yes by law you cannot park on roads to unload and go sledding,cannot even use rest stops legally,you need to find a approach to a farms field to park in. major pii th btt

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I thought Ministick is in Beaver County? Was there a problem with the parking lot at the end of 504A? That is where we were on Saturday, little oatmealy maybe.

daniump

Reaction score

I thought Ministick is in Beaver County? Was there a problem with the parking lot at the end of 504A? That is where we were on Saturday, little oatmealy maybe.
Are the parking lots not open?

johnsmithnf

Reaction score

Drove past that parking lot looking for it. Not familiar with the area. Parked at side of road as there were few others parked there. I read over the highway parking bylaw with strathcona county on their website I believe a section 8? Only statement to get fine is if you are interfering with traffic and putting someone at risk and at the discretion of a peace officer. I see no harm with where and how we parked. Those pesky cop wannabes.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Someone needs to build a timmies out there. These guys need something better to do.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Drove past that parking lot looking for it. Not familiar with the area. Parked at side of road as there were few others parked there. I read over the highway parking bylaw with strathcona county on their website I believe a section 8? Only statement to get fine is if you are interfering with traffic and putting someone at risk and at the discretion of a peace officer. I see no harm with where and how we parked. Those pesky cop wannabes.
The parking lot we go to is off of 220 onto 504A drive til it stops and when you look to your right you will see a large cleared area with a 6 foot winrow in the middle, if you have good tires you should be ok. Not sure who plows the area but I am sure it should plowed again. Brian (Ministickman) would be able to tell us more. It is a great trail system that is great for the kids and newbies, but also has some fairly deep snow to9 play in. Don't forget your trail passes as that is what pays for the groomer.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

Ministik is in beaver county ...... I believe there are 2 staging areas around ministik ... Ministik man can inform us more, i'm sure

johnsmithnf

Reaction score

The parking lot we go to is off of 220 onto 504A drive til it stops and when you look to your right you will see a large cleared area with a 6 foot winrow in the middle, if you have good tires you should be ok. Not sure who plows the area but I am sure it should plowed again. Brian (Ministickman) would be able to tell us more. It is a great trail system that is great for the kids and newbies, but also has some fairly deep snow to9 play in. Don't forget your trail passes as that is what pays for the groomer.

Yeah I'm sure that's the staging area I went to last year. Didn't think it be a problem to park off to the side of the road. We had our trail passes and appreciate the work of volunteers who maintain the trail systems. Usually just go out to the snow angels trails, but decided to go out to Ministink. We were thinking about ditch riding to Tofeild. Is there a trail system to get there or do you have to risk the bylaw chasing you?

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

I thought you had to have a permit to ride out that way?
I stopped riding out there in 96 when the cops pulled a gun on my sister in law who was riding her sled in the ditch.
Previous to this event, myself, my wife, kids, mom and dad, and a few friends were all stopped by the local donut patrol officers and they demanded licenses, insurance. We had all the papers required and they got snotty trying to instigate something. My wife got into their faces and got their badge numbers and reported them. Of course they protect their own. At about that time 2 sledders doing 60-80 mph ripped on by and off the donut eaters went to catch them.
Its not a pleasant area anymore when you have to watch out for dough heads driving cherry/blueberry encrusted cars now.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

I thought you had to have a permit to ride out that way?
I stopped riding out there in 96 when the cops pulled a gun on my sister in law who was riding her sled in the ditch.
Previous to this event, myself, my wife, kids, mom and dad, and a few friends were all stopped by the local donut patrol officers and they demanded licenses, insurance. We had all the papers required and they got snotty trying to instigate something. My wife got into their faces and got their badge numbers and reported them. Of course they protect their own. At about that time 2 sledders doing 60-80 mph ripped on by and off the donut eaters went to catch them.
Its not a pleasant area anymore when you have to watch out for dough heads driving cherry/blueberry encrusted cars now.

you can ride in Ministik as long as you have an ASA Trail Pass $60 a year before Jan 1, or $70 after Jan 1 (). Tri-County Snowmobile Club is who maintains the area and grooms the trails, which is not a small job. If you are riding public ditches in Strathcona County, you're playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun. This is the #1 reason we did not buy out there, but bought in Parkland County where we can and do ride the ditches.

Reactions: RXN

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went out to Minisink sledding yesterday. By-law stopped us to inform us that we are not permitted to park at the side of the road. There were probably 10 trucks on the side not including us. I wanted to call bull**** on him. We were all parked as close to the side and in no way interfering with traffic. Is this true?

Well John
It is like this
The County of Leduc is sled friendly and plows the parking lot at RR220 and TWP 504a for us to all park in
The County of Strathcona is all about horses and hates sledders, they refuse to clear parking lot #33 at RR212 and TWP 510 which is in their county
They clear all other parking lots in the county even the dog walk parks so why not this one

Please call the Councillor Mrs. Bonnie Riddell 780-464-8003 and/or Public Work Mr. David Churchill 780-417-700 and ask to have this parking lot cleared - please

We hope to have the groomer out before Christmas and will clear that parking lot at RR212 and TWP 510

MINISTIK is made up of 4 counties Leduc, Strathcona (Only the parking lot), Beaver and Camrose

For more information see or website at

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
Well John
It is like this
The County of Leduc is sled friendly and plows the parking lot at RR220 and TWP 504a for us to all park in
The County of Strathcona is all about horses and hates sledders, they refuse to clear parking lot #33 at RR212 and TWP 510 which is in their county
They clear all other parking lots in the county even the dog walk parks so why not this one

Please call the Councillor Mrs. Bonnie Riddell 780-464-8003 and/or Public Work Mr. David Churchill 780-417-700 and ask to have this parking lot cleared - please

We hope to have the groomer out before Christmas and will clear that parking lot at RR212 and TWP 510

MINISTIK is made up of 4 counties Leduc, Strathcona (Only the parking lot), Beaver and Camrose

For more information see or website at

Thanks for the summary. Friday I will call and ask them for clarification. The peace officer IMO was arrogant and rude and I bet if it was just us parked there we be all getting tickets. He was probably too lazy to write up the 20 tickets to give everyone a ticket. But since when can you not park to the side of a road? How cares if your sledding, walking the dog, have a flat, or for some other reason be parked to the side and not imposing a safety concern or interfering with traffic.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figures that Strathcona is up to its old tricks, I noticed that the 220 was poorly plowed from Highway 14 but as soon as we had crossed 510 into Beaver county the plowing was grand and made for safer driving. Is there a better way to get to Ministick other than 220 from highway 14? That little stretch rattles the heck out me sometimes specially when a full size truck and trailer are coming the other way and you have to sidle onto the plowed snow, hoping to god it doesn't pull you into the ditch.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
well john
it is like this
the county of leduc is sled friendly and plows the parking lot at rr220 and twp 504a for us to all park in
the county of strathcona is all about horses and hates sledders, they refuse to clear parking lot #33 at rr212 and twp 510 which is in their county
they clear all other parking lots in the county even the dog walk parks so why not this one

please call the councillor mrs. Bonnie riddell 780-464-8003 and/or public work mr. David churchill 780-417-700 and ask to have this parking lot cleared - please

we hope to have the groomer out before christmas and will clear that parking lot at rr212 and twp 510

ministik is made up of 4 counties leduc, strathcona (only the parking lot), beaver and camrose

for more information see or website at

thanks, brian......... To the top.......... Important information. Called bonnie riddell, to complain, and of course had to leave a message!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figures that Strathcona is up to its old tricks, I noticed that the 220 was poorly plowed from Highway 14 but as soon as we had crossed 510 into Beaver county the plowing was grand and made for safer driving. Is there a better way to get to Ministick other than 220 from highway 14? That little stretch rattles the heck out me sometimes specially when a full size truck and trailer are coming the other way and you have to sidle onto the lowed snow, hoping to god it doesn't pull you into the ditch.

thats strathcona for you. beaver county has all its roads plowed and grated pushed into the ditch max 3 days after a storm. strathcona you are lucky to see a plow within a week, and a grater maybe 2 weeks later. beaver county is also 3x the size. they put there money where it belongs thats the difference.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
thanks, brian......... To the top.......... Important information. Called bonnie riddell, to complain, and of course had to leave a message!!!

If you can't get her on the phone, can always send her an email...... Bonnie.Riddell@strathcona.ca

and if you can't get David Churchill at that number there is also this one:
David Churchill
Transportation and Agricultural Services
780-893-7963 (cell)

isn't the internet a wonderful thing?

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figures that Strathcona is up to its old tricks, I noticed that the 220 was poorly plowed from Highway 14 but as soon as we had crossed 510 into Beaver county the plowing was grand and made for safer driving. Is there a better way to get to Ministick other than 220 from highway 14? That little stretch rattles the heck out me sometimes specially when a full size truck and trailer are coming the other way and you have to sidle onto the lowed snow, hoping to god it doesn't pull you into the ditch.

I agree, it is a white knuckle strech, but 221 is also as bad, but with more traffic. Keep it slow and make it in safe, it's only a couple km's.
I find it very interesting that everytime we have gone in, 504a is plowed, day after a snow storm, plowed, day after a skiff, plowed. Its kept up better than most roads in the city. Someone important must live nearby! ;)

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats strathcona for you. beaver county has all its roads plowed and grated pushed into the ditch max 3 days after a storm. strathcona you are lucky to see a plow within a week, and a grater maybe 2 weeks later. beaver county is also 3x the size. they put there money where it belongs thats the difference.

gee you would think the richest county ( strathcona) in the province would have better snow removal than that

Top Bottom