MAXUM boats..........what's the word on them?

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anybody got some feedback on the quality of this brand of boat??? thinking about getting one but know nothing about them:headscratch3:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
weve got a new 18ft maxum with 135. great boat.......but the 135 just doesnt cut it. maybe your looking at the next model up but more hp is deffinetly required.

other than that the quality is great and its holding up well.

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
weve got a new 18ft maxum with 135. great boat.......but the 135 just doesnt cut it. maybe your looking at the next model up but more hp is deffinetly required.

other than that the quality is great and its holding up well.

Do you think a different prop would make enough of a difference?...I'm assuming the lack of power is most noticable at the hole shot?

am looking at an 05 1800 MX which I think is the base model in the Maxum line.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you think a different prop would make enough of a difference?...I'm assuming the lack of power is most noticable at the hole shot?

am looking at an 05 1800 MX which I think is the base model in the Maxum line.

yes thats the exact model we have. tried a few different props to no avail. has a hard time pulling a full grown man out of the water on one ski.

but other than that for tubing, wakeboarding cruising around the 135 does just fine. i think it works a bit to hard and sucks alot of fuel if you plan on going any distance at cruising speed. probly a better prop for cruising but then your holeshot is effected.

spikeydave

Reaction score
I bought a 2006 1900SR3 last year with 58hrs on it, it has the 5.0l merc and I love it. Been a good boat so far nice riding, good power. We have the wake tower and tow the tubes and boards with no problem. I have found that t he workmanship on these boats to be well done and would definitely recommend one to a friend. If you go that way enjoy, boating has been one of the best things that our family enjoys together.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have an 06 Maxum 1900 SR3 with the 5L 220 horse inboard, had it since new. Put the Roswell 52 tower on and I think it's an awsome boat. Not the power or bells and whistles of a tow boat but I had no intentions of spending the money or buying the fuel for that style of boat. With 96hrs in 6 years I don't need top of the line boat, I will never wear this one out.
That being said the Maxum is a roomy boat, adequate power for two skiers, best storage compartments of any boat in it's class and the rear deck compartment is a bonus for storage that other boats don't have. Only minor issue is winterizing as the bottom frost plugs are a stretch to get to every fall. Zero issues with hull or drive line but I change motor oil every year and leg oil every second year. Fit and finish of interior is on par with other boats of the same price. Boat sits in shop for winter, unheated but indoors at the farm.
There is not a huge difference in boats in this price range, drive line will be either a Merc or a Volvo. Motors of the same size seem to perform the same from hull to hull of different manufacturers, interiors and available storage on board is where the difference is. Have not checked for a while but Dorals used to be lighter but also had the smallest fuel tank.
Most expensive toy I own per hr of operation with insurance, fuel and initial cost thrown in but I think it is the kids favorite toy.
No matter what you get they are fun but I suggest the V6 190HP as the starting point for an 18' boat and 220HP for a 19'.

If the boat you are looking at is priced right go for it!

Last edited:

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks all....Well, it was a long and frustrating kijiji journey for three weeks looking at boats that were; too small, too underpowered, too late, too shiddy, too far, too much money, too ugly, etc, etc... But finally found and settled on a 2000 Malibu 18.5, with an inboard 5-liter EFI mercruiser and Bravo-3 leg. pretty boat with mint interior. test drive went very well (fairly smooth and no shortage of 'giddy-up'). kids loving it coming from a 1986 16-footer (and a 4-1/2 ft beam width!!). Looking forward to hitting the lake in a couple weeks. on a side note...any recommendations of a tongue-lock for a trailer with surge brake mechanism? :confused:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks all....Well, it was a long and frustrating kijiji journey for three weeks looking at boats that were; too small, too underpowered, too late, too shiddy, too far, too much money, too ugly, etc, etc... But finally found and settled on a 2000 Malibu 18.5, with an inboard 5-liter EFI mercruiser and Bravo-3 leg. pretty boat with mint interior. test drive went very well (fairly smooth and no shortage of 'giddy-up'). kids loving it coming from a 1986 16-footer (and a 4-1/2 ft beam width!!). Looking forward to hitting the lake in a couple weeks. on a side note...any recommendations of a tongue-lock for a trailer with surge brake mechanism? :confused:

My buddy has a Malibu Wakesetter. That is one sweet boat. You will love the Malibu quality, fit and finish.

Kiwionsnow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be the Canadian Malibu that has the bravo leg. I think made in Winepeg at the time, not the US MALIBU as in Wakesetter............... Malibu wakesetter attached
069[1].jpg

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's not a vdrive its not a wakesetter if it's not a vdrive its a fishing boat

Top Bottom