Central AB Boats

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooooooooo we been heavily thinking about moving to AB. Curious what the fellas are running if there is anywhere to run in central AB. Probably going to put down roots somewhere between Edmonton and Calgary. Not a fan of sj's and I do realize that something like my old boat is probably too big.

Suggestions?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooooooooo we been heavily thinking about moving to AB. Curious what the fellas are running if there is anywhere to run in central AB. Probably going to put down roots somewhere between Edmonton and Calgary. Not a fan of sj's and I do realize that something like my old boat is probably too big.

Suggestions?

North Saskatchewan is good for bigger boats. Red deer river is good. Lots of rivers here to run.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are buying a used boat your options will be limited to what is available, the Ecoboost works, but it's not particularly fuel efficient at high load. The Eco's are hard on oil because they run quite hot, particularly because the oil is also used for piston cooling. For comparison the 2.3Eco needs full synthetic 15W-50 changed at 50hr intervals, the GM 6.2DI runs standard Dexos 0w-20 at 100hr intervals. For a smallish boat I'm sure they work fine, but it wouldn't be my first choice for anything much larger. I had huge hopes for the Eco when it first came out, but I'm not hearing as many positives about it anymore. There's now even phrases in the Indmar manual for the Eco warning of fuel dilution of the engine oil, and calling oil consumption "the nature of the beast".

I personally like the 6.2DI, they seem to be bullet proof, great on fuel, and make good power. A coworker went from a 19ft 350/SD309 to a 17ft with a 6.2DI/212 and his fuel consumption reduced by 1/3.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run an older non-D.I 6.2 with a Hamilton in an 18ft sport, they are pretty surprising on fuel consumption. If your building or buying, there isn't a better package out there than the 6.2/Hamilton combo.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run an older non-D.I 6.2 with a Hamilton in an 18ft sport, they are pretty surprising on fuel consumption. If your building or buying, there isn't a better package out there than the 6.2/Hamilton combo.
I agree with the hami/6.2 combo. As we are considering the central/southern region I was worried about extra weight. Thinking maybe running around nordegg area????? What else is down south? Are you allowed to run in the Bow?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IIRC a 6.2 is only about 150lbs heavier than the Eco.

Really depends on the hull too, a Firefish Convict with the 6.2 is going to run shallower than a Coyote with the Eco.

The Eco's definitely don't sound like a V8, but they sound 100x better than a sportjet IMO

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In west central alberta you can run the north saskatchewan, brazeau, clearwater, red deer, ram(kind of)...... I think thats about it. I've done all of those with my 6.2DI/212 in a firefish hammerhead 19'6" x 7'wide

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In west central alberta you can run the north saskatchewan, brazeau, clearwater, red deer, ram(kind of)...... I think thats about it. I've done all of those with my 6.2DI/212 in a firefish hammerhead 19'6" x 7'wide
Upper red is great as well. The North Sask has a lot to offer once you go west of rocky, or above Abraham Lake. Clear water can get interesting real quick in a big boat. Been plenty of boats damaged or sunk up past the Clearwater store. Been there for a sinking, and a recovery in a 24ft twin. Running a big boat up that river takes some nerve an talent to get back down.
ken 1.jpg

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IIRC a 6.2 is only about 150lbs heavier than the Eco.

Really depends on the hull too, a Firefish Convict with the 6.2 is going to run shallower than a Coyote with the Eco.

The Eco's definitely don't sound like a V8, but they sound 100x better than a sportjet IMO
Sorry , Disagree . I’m not a huge fan of the SJ sound , but being a 2 stroke you would expect a different sound, the Ecoboost just sounds kinda goofy . Different opinions . 👍👍

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can run the Bow river. Not in Calgary city limits!
I usually launch at Ghost Reservoir Provincial Park and head west, We usually stop just past the crashed white custom weld on shore. There is a clam pool and place to beach there. You can go up past the the rapids. Not much sense. The rapids keep getting worse after each set then you hit the damn.
South of Calgary on the Bow you can launch at Policeman Flats. I have not made that trip yet.
Lot of floaters from the city stop there for pick up.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can run the Bow river. Not in Calgary city limits!
I usually launch at Ghost Reservoir Provincial Park and head west, We usually stop just past the crashed white custom weld on shore. There is a clam pool and place to beach there. You can go up past the the rapids. Not much sense. The rapids keep getting worse after each set then you hit the damn.
South of Calgary on the Bow you can launch at Policeman Flats. I have not made that trip yet.
Lot of floaters from the city stop there for pick up.
Why not in city limits? Is there a place to find regs on this?

Top Bottom