M9000 or Viper

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What color do you like? I don't have a Viper, but I do have a 2013 M1100T that has been good to me, and in fact will be keeping it for many years to come. Bought new from T&T in Bonnyville, it has 1700 miles on it (all boosted, had a Big Chute 250 kit on it the first year, upgraded the mapping the next to a 285hp setting that runs on straight 100LL av gas. Haven't blown a belt yet, did wear one out at about 1200 miles, which I feel is pretty respectable for the power level. That said, I did beef up the entire driveline (proactive measures) to handle the horsepower and torque this thing puts out. The 2016 front end is a significant improvement in handling, and suspension adjustments make a big difference in weight transfer, etc. I use the Dayco XTX5045 belt which is the same as stock dimensions without issue, and costs about $120 if you shop around. Also have tried various sets of skis, my favorite on this chassis is the Polaris Grippers - the stock skis from 2012-2015 leave a lot to be desired.
The sled isn't designed to be a tree basher, but it does it surprisingly well - not as nimble as my wife's Pro RMK or M800 Proclimb, and that's with my middle aged slightly out of shape carcass on it. The 4S can (and will) go anywhere you want it to, but you will have to ride further ahead then on a 2S, as the power delivery and on/off throttle response is significantly different, and you'll find that a properly set up M1100 will cover ground in a BIG hurry. They aren't for everyone, but I find I ride my boosted 4 stroke Cat a lot more then my M800 (which has a Linderman built 925 in it). Find a good dealer who takes the time to set the sled up properly (I like T&T), adjust the suspension for YOU, and have fun.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is correct, Yamaha will only warranty the mpi 180 kit, not the 240 or 270 no matter how hard you try..... don't ask...lol

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great post! Out of curiousity, because in some of the reviews I've read lately, some seem to be implying it...

Yamaha has warranty with a 180 kit, but not a 240+

Some seem to imply that even with modding a Cat, they are still maintaining a warranty..I have my doubts, but any truth to that?

The Arctic Cat like others are very supportive, honesty I always the best policy, the Arctic Cat has the least amount of things changed that could cause a failure
your not changing a lot, so 95% is running with stock parts and configuration so less chance of a failure.... if it related to the upgrade, or fuel ie race...then unlikely
warranty will be not covering the issue it hasn't happened yet..knock on wood.....

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are both reliable, the cat you do less changes to at stock or 240 , it s the same chassis, triple with 270 would be smoother but also about 3 k more than the viper 180 kit
handling I gonna be very much the same... pros n cons...see previous post...

ssjrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Terry. That information is very helpful I think I will definitely come out and have a chat with you I just don't know when. I'm kind a looking for next year already as I'm not gonna have much time left this year to go riding. As for the T3 I love the machine it's awesome I have no plans of getting rid of it. The turbo would be an addition simply because I want a lot of horsepower. Yes I know that you can put a turbo on a 2 stroke. They have come a long ways with reliability but I still think they're not even close to the reliable of a four stroke turbo, and I'm very much about the reliability. Thanks

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True I personally would go 4stroke factory turbo instead of putting a turbo on the two stroke. I do have a viper 180 an cat 250-60 ish.....that are demos .... if you want to try them.....

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is all very accurate info on the Cat vs Yamaha 4strokes. I my self had look into up grading my current 2010 Nytro and came to this exact conclusion. The Yamaha would be more expensive to set up then the Cat and IMO the Cat has a few extra features not used by Yamaha that i personally prefer such as rear heat exchanger system over radiator.

Either way you cannot go wrong with Yamaha or Cat if your looking into a 4stroke boost.
I have been running my Nytro on a 2nd stage set up since new, ZERO miles and when i bought it in 2010 i voided my warranty. Unlike DOO, POO and Cat with warranty issues coming out of their arses, well some worst then other's and won't name any. I have had ZERO problems and now pushing 5500kms and she still runs like day one. Try that with a 2 stroke LOL.

The only advice i can say is you better be up to snuff on your riding and fit, 4 strokes on boost like already mentioned are not for every one. The general sledding public prefer 2strokes for a reason. Mostly lack of and out of certain needed traits makes this deal tough for the the majority joe.

BTW i do get a good giggle on guys dreaming on how a sled DOO, POO or Cat sporting a 3" 174 with only 170hp ....i being generous here, can walk on a 250HP BOOSTED sled with the same track at elevation.......good one Brandon.
Some people just seem to forget.....the sled is only 50% of the equation.

Yes the T3 or 2strokes are easier to handle in tight areas, but i didnt realize sledding is all about confining your self to the woods and peeling bark all day OR is it???
You don't need HP to putter in the tree's you can do that with an ELAN also. What ever turns your crank

OH YES, almost forgot, if i was to do it again today...build another 4stroke. It would be a Cat. Its just cheaper to do it. My Nytro $35,000+ to build....OUCH but it F,n rocks and keeps me grinning. Now where are them T3's i need to eat one. I dont mean a Tylenol either.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about adding a m9000 to the garage

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As mentioned a couple posts back, you'll need to condition yourself a little more. Mostly arms and shoulders as the torque tears at them. :)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As mentioned a couple posts back, you'll need to condition yourself a little more. Mostly arms and shoulders as the torque tears at them. :)

That's a good start but if you want to benefit from this you will need more then that.
Lots of peeps know me on this forum and have ridin with me and i'm in pretty good form, i'm not the beer slugging type that believes in miracles. Since 2009 i have been a member of Vernon SAR's team. This year i'm out and taking a break. Since 2009 i 'm lucky to get out sledding 6-8 times during the season, concidering i use to get in around 40-50 rides. Spending most of my winters out on rescues on Skandic's and snow shoes is not exactly riding. Even then with little seat time i put the Nytro through its paces and ride as long if not longer then most on their 2 strokes.
Its will be a learning curve.
I could easily own a big gun 2 stroke but why, the problem is. It would most likely sit in the shop collecting dust while i'm splitting mountains on a boosted 4 stroke.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once I learned to ride my TNytro it took a lot less effort, at first I fought it, saddle time is required to love these things

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is all very accurate info on the Cat vs Yamaha 4strokes. I my self had look into up grading my current 2010 Nytro and came to this exact conclusion. The Yamaha would be more expensive to set up then the Cat and IMO the Cat has a few extra features not used by Yamaha that i personally prefer such as rear heat exchanger system over radiator.

Either way you cannot go wrong with Yamaha or Cat if your looking into a 4stroke boost.
I have been running my Nytro on a 2nd stage set up since new, ZERO miles and when i bought it in 2010 i voided my warranty. Unlike DOO, POO and Cat with warranty issues coming out of their arses, well some worst then other's and won't name any. I have had ZERO problems and now pushing 5500kms and she still runs like day one. Try that with a 2 stroke LOL.

The only advice i can say is you better be up to snuff on your riding and fit, 4 strokes on boost like already mentioned are not for every one. The general sledding public prefer 2strokes for a reason. Mostly lack of and out of certain needed traits makes this deal tough for the the majority joe.

BTW i do get a good giggle on guys dreaming on how a sled DOO, POO or Cat sporting a 3" 174 with only 170hp ....i being generous here, can walk on a 250HP BOOSTED sled with the same track at elevation.......good one Brandon.
Some people just seem to forget.....the sled is only 50% of the equation.

Yes the T3 or 2strokes are easier to handle in tight areas, but i didnt realize sledding is all about confining your self to the woods and peeling bark all day OR is it???
You don't need HP to putter in the tree's you can do that with an ELAN also. What ever turns your crank

OH YES, almost forgot, if i was to do it again today...build another 4stroke. It would be a Cat. Its just cheaper to do it. My Nytro $35,000+ to build....OUCH but it F,n rocks and keeps me grinning. Now where are them T3's i need to eat one. I dont mean a Tylenol either.
Mike I never suggested it would walk it just that it'll get to the top eventually especially vs the 162 2.6 cat. As far as 5500 problem free km on boost a good two stroke kit is getting pretty close these days.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom