Low Budget Back Up Sled Build Up

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK - so here goes. This is my budget back up sled build up. First some background - This isn't a complete first for this sled, I did a big retro fit on the tunnel, seat and coolers last year, along with the air box delete and some other mods, when I put a longer track on. When I first bought this sled, I was looking for a back up sled for me and maybe something my wife/friends could ride from time to time. The deal I found on this sled was pretty much a no brainer and couldn't pass it up, with a little tweaking it became a pretty competent sled for a back up so it all worked out. Too bad my wife doesn't ride it (although she said she would if I painted it pink - not going to happen).

The objective of this is to show folks a little of what I do with it, get some input on it and demonstrate to everyone out there that sledding can be an economical and fun sport. Being that sledding is a bit of a passion for me, you might see things in here that you wouldn't do, and that's OK. No you don't need a 300 HP sled to have fun on the hills. And you can build a decent sled for the hills, with a little know-how, ingenuity, and sweat equity (aka hard work) and not a ton of cash in your pocket.

I hope to update this weekly as things progress or more often, depending on time. This will be the first installment. I usually do all the work myself with the exception of some specialized things like powdercoating, but if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Please feel free to comment and make suggestions if you can. This will probably be the longest post I have on this thread. Always remember to wear the proper safety stuff (eye protection and hearing protection, gloves, etc) when working in your shop. Thanks and see you on the hill!

Pics are attached in order of sequence as well, so easy to follow along.

1) Ok so first I have a complete and running sled, but somehow I decided that I should replace the bulkhead with a lighter one (I think it was the summer heat...... actually this was in the works for the last little while). This bulkhead already had a substantial drop and roll, which was a factor in the decision. I was planning on d&r'ing this sled anyway, this just meant it saved me some work (at least on the bulkhead anyway).

2) Tore all the pieces off the donor sled and found some issues, had to straighten a few pieces and found some things that will come out in the wash later, but overall things were in good shape so the decision was made to continue on with the build on this project. If you have any serious concerns about what you are about to do, this is the time to stop, not halfway through. You will still be able to recover most of your costs to this point and you won't end up tearing your other sled down so that you have two non-working sleds :).

3) I ended up with another 1/2 sled in my garage (already have 2), which is the donor sled for the bulkhead, so I tore it down, sandblasted it and welded up all the holes and added some gusseting to strengthen it as well. First I measured and squared the bulkhead, then I braced the areas where the chassis will flex as the eventual plan is to put some decent power in place.

Its a good idea to square things up before you start, this is the foundation of where you will be building everything from. Sandblasting before you fix things will really help you to be able to see where things need to be welded etc. Also it removes the grease and grime that will contaminate your welds. Use TIG to weld, you will get the best penetration.

4) Once everything was welded and ground down, I added some rivets and replaced some others that I thought looked loose or didn't like the look of. This is the time to do things right and use the right rivets, don't use the cheap Canadian Tire ones with the aluminum shank, go to Acklands or Bolt Supply or your local outlet and buy some steel shank rivets, they are much better and wayyy stronger.

Use 3/16 rivets if you can, I just use a hand riveter that I drilled out the biggest tip to accept the larger mandrel (shank) on the 3/16 rivets. It takes a lot more to pull them and snap them off, but they are far stronger than the 1/8 rivets. Watch out for flying objects if you use the bigger rivets, the shanks literally fly out of my rivet gun. I also use backer plates/washers to help distribute the load on the surrounding metal, this makes a big difference IMO.

5) Once everything was prepped, I gave it a final wipedown and bead blasted the weld areas to clean up any things I could not get with the wire wheel and grinder or die grinder, then I wiped all the surfaces with alcohol to remove any residue.

6) Yesterday I dropped it off at the powder coaters (JIT Coatings) in Calgary. These guys are awesome and did all the powder coating on my other sled, as well as a bunch of work for my buddies trucks, plus the a-arms and rear susp arms on this sled last year. I can't buy the paint for the price of powdercoating the whole bulkhead. They do great work and can turn things around in short order (unless you want some fancy special colour that changes in the sunlight etc etc).

This one is basic gloss black, I will have it by Friday of this week, probably will get a call on Thurs saying it is done. There is a reason I have been a repeat customer. I chose black because it is a very easy colour to match and fix. If the bulkhead gets a chip in it, a jiffy marker is all that is required for touch up.

I didn't bead blast the entire bulkhead so there will be a very very very slight blemish in the powder coating on some of the bigger panels due to the rougher texture of the sand that I used, however unless you get your nose about 1/2" away from it, you won't even notice it. Also, most of the bulkhead is shrouded anyway, so again, very hard to notice. If this wasn't a back up and was going to be a show sled, I would have bead blasted it after the sandblasting.

7) In the meantime I cut a new tunnel extension, and will continue to tear down the rest of the other sled in preparation for swapping the parts to the new bulkhead and completing the drop and roll on the tunnel.

First pic is the bulkhead after I took it off
Second pic is the rivets that were replaced along the rear of the bulkhead where it joins to the tunnel braces
Third pic is of some of the gussets and welded areas
Fourth pic if of the addition bracing and gussets on the top of the cradle

More pics and updates to come in a couple days. I will post a pic of the bulkhead when I pick it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 133

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
V6 snowmobile????? Probably need some heavier front springs... LOL

Pipes and carbs would be a nightmare........but this would be fun....... :D

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 125

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome cant wait to follow along

ps what kind of sled was this. i eithr missed it or your not saying ahaha

LOL I didn't say. Started life as a Thundercat, but not much left of the original sled, now it has a different bulkhead, new tunnel, skis, custom seat and is getting a different seat off a M8, going to build a mesh hood for it, 156 track, Sno Pro 144" suspension with a setback, ski doo rear bumper, ski doo rear axle, pods, powerjets, 7" riser (going to sleeve the steering post so that I don't break it .....right Shawn? :D).....etc etc.

Oh it has ice scratchers too!!

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that bulkhead looks good, maybe i should try assemble something, still have the rotary. lol. this should be a good thread, especially the first ride.

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice!
Cant wait to see her finished!
I might make something out of my 96 xlt chassis!
600 motor, 136''x2'' track ,custom seat, 14 inch shocks, simmons skis, mountain fit hood etc!!!:):):d

Justin

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see any empties in the back ground - I'll have to come over and take care of that for you!

Looks good! As always your doing a top notch job! You definitely make it look easy - I always end up with a few parts that didn't make it back on the sled.

Your going to have a hard time picking which sled to ride! How's the 670 coming? Did you drop that new motor in it or have you set that aside 'til you get this project together?

Don't worry about the steering column...I still got the rope and I didn't get any pictures!

L8r Shawn

vendetta

Reaction score
you should put two motors in like that so when one blows up you have another??

JK looks like its going to be fun. we need more pics though

Rob

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you should put two motors in like that so when one blows up you have another??

JK looks like its going to be fun. we need more pics though

Rob

Will hopefully have more pics tomorrow, I picked up the bulkhead last week but didn't get anything done on it this weekend, had some family stuff to do on Sat and then today I was down with the flu, so hopefully will get something accomplished this week if I feel better.

Thanks for the compliments folks!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very sweet man,, cant wait to see it in action,,, and its coming very soon now:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, so here was my tally for the day, didn't get a lot done, still getting over the flu bug but had to get out to the garage for a little bit to help me feel better. Something about wrenching on sleds always makes me feel better... :)

Picked up the bulkhead last week, once again JIT did a great job. Black is awesome IMO, it looks good just sitting there!

Anyway, tonight I spent a little time with the wire wheel on one of the rear coolers. I bead blasted it before with a fine glass bead, but it was still a little rough so to take the remaining texture out of it, I hit it with the wire wheel and then re-installed the plastic protector. I'm switching coolers because I really don't think there is enough cooling for the big triple with one small rear cooler (see pic below) and one at the bulkhead about half the size of the rear one.

Last year it got hot a couple of times and it takes a long time to cool down, even riding around in nice fluffy snow, I don't think there is just physically enough cooling (I'm sure there is an Arctic Cat cooling system engineer out there just begging to disagree with me:)). Either way, my "real world" riding in the hills prompted me to re-tool the cooling system. I'm putting on two big coolers from a Ski Doo that will almost run the last 2/3 of the tunnel. I'm forced to mount them farther forward of where my ideal spot would be, mainly because of where the gas tank sits, I can't come up through the tunnel with the hose outlets that far back or they will be in the middle of the gas tank. Sometimes you have to compromise:rolleyes: but I know this system will be far better than what's there right now.

The cooling surface of the new coolers is far greater than the little ones that were on there. Also, the new coolers will be fully mounted on the underside of the tunnel, not like the current one that is sticking out the top (this was similar to the original AC mounting position and I kept it the same to try and get cooling on both sides of the cooler since it was so small I figured the more surface area that was exposed, the better). This was an ugly set up on this sled, as you could see the cooling hoses and the top of the cooler, the new install will keep the rear top part of the tunnel clear and should look much nicer. It will also allow me to put a gas rack back there.

One of the things about doing a build like this (meaning where you are cheap like me and won't pay someone to do it) where you have time in between when things are taken off the sled and then when they are put back on the sled a month or two later, you might forget which way they go on. A little trick I use is a paint marker (see picture). You can mark on the parts you take off, it won't smudge and you can always remove it with brakleen later on. I labelled the steering shaft (see attached pic) with the position of right (R) and left (L) (from sitting on the sled) and the "top back", showing which is the top and the orientation. Its a good idea to mark a few spots on the part, just in case you scratch or rub one of them off.

Tomorrow - hopefully I will be able to wire wheel the other cooler and take the bellypan/hood of the other sled (already unbolted it last week just have to take out two bolts and pull it off).

Attachments

• IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 105

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed. I think a low budget build up looks way more fun and challenging than a no holds bar build up, since you're both going to end up on the snow anyway.
If you don't mind asking what was the price for the powder coat on bulkhead?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'm impressed. I think a low budget build up looks way more fun and challenging than a no holds bar build up, since you're both going to end up on the snow anyway.
If you don't mind asking what was the price for the powder coat on bulkhead?

PM sent threadkiller.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those look like nice flat coolers, shouldn't have to trim the track, eh?

Have you considered running board coolers? I love them on my Apex! I'd feel better if you had a few token yami parts on that mod! If not I'm going to sticker it!

I think some of the poos had short board coolers that should be available at wreckers (Dusty's?).

l8r shawn!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those look like nice flat coolers, shouldn't have to trim the track, eh?

Have you considered running board coolers? I love them on my Apex! I'd feel better if you had a few token yami parts on that mod! If not I'm going to sticker it!

I think some of the poos had short board coolers that should be available at wreckers (Dusty's?).

l8r shawn!

Nope won't have to trim the track. The drop brackets that I made last year will help that out as well. Already bought and blasted these coolers (time into them), the running board coolers would have worked except I hacked the snot out of my running boards with an air body saw to install the "Snow Eliminators" last year, now there is not that much to drill into for the mounting holes. Thanks for the good suggestion though!

I could handle the Yammy parts on the sled, I couldn't handle having Polaris parts though... :D

Go ahead and sticker it - I've got a nice can of PPG lime green just waiting to cover your daughter's Yamaha.

Top Bottom