Is having a beer in the hotel parking lot legal?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll call my bro-inlaw tomorrow. He is CPD, but not RC. None the less, I'm sure he'll have an answer!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insightful input. LMAO! It wasn't that simple.

The cops said they were gonna make another round and check up on us.

Cant believe there is a thread about this. Walk inside and finish the beer. By that time they will have left the parking lot so have another one outside.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bottom line in any situation when being given instruction by someone with a side arm, comply.

We do this all the time, usually in the trailer or by it if we're wrenching on a sled. Just never had the boys in blue show up.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bottom line in any situation when being given instruction by someone with a side arm, comply.

We do this all the time, usually in the trailer or by it if we're wrenching on a sled. Just never had the boys in blue show up.
The yuppp was for this post. Just wasnt quick enough

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wiki never lies :)

In Canada, with the exception of Quebec, possession of open containers of alcohol in public is generally a violation of provincial acts and municipal bylaws. Open liquor is not permitted except in private residences or on licensed premises. (If the licensed premises are adjacent to public areas, for example a restaurant patio next to a sidewalk, drinking alcohol in full public view is perfectly legal. Walking down the sidewalk not on the licensed premises, drinking the same alcohol would be illegal.) Open liquor is also illegal in parts of national and provincial parks, though this prohibition may not apply to campsites, as your temporary residence. Ontario Provincial Parks allow alcohol on campsites only.
In British Columbia, possession of 'open liquor' (including opened but sealed containers) is a $230 fine. In Ontario, possession of an open container or consumption of liquor in a public place is a $125 fine (as per the Liquor Licence Act, ssec 31(2)). However, the most common enforcement of liquor laws is to simply pour out the offending beverage and issue a verbal warning; fines are rarely issued.
In Quebec, laws on the consumption of alcohol in public is more relaxed than in the rest of Canada—most notably, alcohol may be consumed in public parks if with a meal.
In some places and circumstances it is tolerated, such as at some college campuses or around sporting events – notably at a tailgate party – or when the container is inside a bag, traditionally a brown paper bag.[citation needed]

So by that I would say the parking lot of the hotel is not a licensed premises, your room is your temporary residence so keep it in your room, or go to the pub and buy a beer in their licensed bar. If they want to enforce it, they can.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wiki never lies :)

In Canada, with the exception of Quebec, possession of open containers of alcohol in public is generally a violation of provincial acts and municipal bylaws. Open liquor is not permitted except in private residences or on licensed premises. (If the licensed premises are adjacent to public areas, for example a restaurant patio next to a sidewalk, drinking alcohol in full public view is perfectly legal. Walking down the sidewalk not on the licensed premises, drinking the same alcohol would be illegal.) Open liquor is also illegal in parts of national and provincial parks, though this prohibition may not apply to campsites, as your temporary residence. Ontario Provincial Parks allow alcohol on campsites only.
In British Columbia, possession of 'open liquor' (including opened but sealed containers) is a $230 fine. In Ontario, possession of an open container or consumption of liquor in a public place is a $125 fine (as per the Liquor Licence Act, ssec 31(2)). However, the most common enforcement of liquor laws is to simply pour out the offending beverage and issue a verbal warning; fines are rarely issued.
In Quebec, laws on the consumption of alcohol in public is more relaxed than in the rest of Canada—most notably, alcohol may be consumed in public parks if with a meal.
In some places and circumstances it is tolerated, such as at some college campuses or around sporting events – notably at a tailgate party – or when the container is inside a bag, traditionally a brown paper bag.[citation needed]

So by that I would say the parking lot of the hotel is not a licensed premises, your room is your temporary residence so keep it in your room, or go to the pub and buy a beer in their licensed bar. If they want to enforce it, they can.

Paper bag it is then!
Back in the day we used to strategically cut the top and bottom of a coke can and split it in half at the seam and wrap that around a beer so we could hang at the beach and drink. Keep the seam to the inside and noone is the wiser lol!!

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Paper bag it is then!
Back in the day we used to strategically cut the top and bottom of a coke can and split it in half at the seam and wrap that around a beer so we could hang at the beach and drink. Keep the seam to the inside and noone is the wiser lol!!

Used to do that till we realized you can dump whiskey right into the pop can! No more cut fingers and gets-r-done quicker :beer:

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when I find the need to drink in public i use a mcdonalds cup just put beer can inside cup insert straw with lid just some guy drinking pop at 2am no big deal

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the end weather it's law or not cops mostly do what they want and u have to fight it later most cops I know including family members really don't know the law that well they where bullied in school so they became cops now there the bully's

bclinehand

Reaction score
although the parking lot is privately owned it is considered a public throughfare.....hence the threat of drinking in public charge .....had you been drinking on a balcony for instance there would be no way to charge you

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't think I agree with this. All the property the hotel sits on, including the parking lot, is private property. You had permission from the owners, so, IMHO, you were doing nothing illegal. I'd do the same thing and if I got charged, i'd tell the cop "See you in court, azzhole !".

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!
Let us know how that works out for you.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mean,
It wasn't like we were swilling beers and leaving cans lying around. We had one beer each in our possession, within 10 feet of our door, the hotel was pretty much empty, and no one from the road would have seen it. I am thinking of looking in to this and see if there is a law, or were the cops just being dicks.

The Golden cops have been getting worse every year. Tons of random checks, a friend of mine has been pulled over 6 times or more, sober. Not a checkstop, pulled over.
It will get even worse once their new rookie training center is built.

Top Bottom