Is having a beer in the hotel parking lot legal?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just wanted everyone's take on this.

Last spring, a few of us stayed at the Golden Rim Motel in Golden. We were heading up to Chatter Creek the next morning.

It was a nice afternoon, and we decided to sit outside out room, BS and talk sleds with each other.
Suddenly the cops rolled in and told us that we were not allowed to consume alcohol in the parking lot. The cops threatened to fine us if they saw us again.

Afterwards, I went to the front counter of the motel and asked if we were allowed or not to sit outside and have a beer in front of our rooms. They said it was fine, I told them about the RC's giving us grief, and they said it was ok by them,

NOW, is the parking lot private property and the police have no jurisdiction ? If the owners of said parking lot allows it, can the cops still come in and enforce??

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be private property but at the same time you are in a public place. Could go either way. Should not be an issue unless people are being ignorant about it.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It may technically be private property, but consuming alcohol in a public place is illegal. The hotel parking lot is a public place.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I agree its 50/50 but how do the RCMP know your not gonna drive off somewhere or steal something? Maybe theyre just looking out for loosers that steal chit?

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Agree..i would say stay in the room,,but having a smoke outside with a beer in hand is normal as long as your not causing a chit storm
It may technically be private property, but consuming alcohol in a public place is illegal. The hotel parking lot is a public place.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have permission, and can prove your staying there (via front desk). I can't see it being illegal???

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do it but be smart about it. Easy enough to keep it under the radar if you know what I mean.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If I'm having a cold one on my front lawn near the sidewalk while doing yard work is this not legal? Its both public and private. Interesting question though.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same deal as say a 7-eleven. Canr drink outside their door but it is on private property.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hotel parking lot is a public place.

Don't think I agree with this. All the property the hotel sits on, including the parking lot, is private property. You had permission from the owners, so, IMHO, you were doing nothing illegal. I'd do the same thing and if I got charged, i'd tell the cop "See you in court, azzhole !".

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't think I agree with this. All the property the hotel sits on, including the parking lot, is private property. You had permission from the owners, so, IMHO, you were doing nothing illegal. I'd do the same thing and if I got charged, i'd tell the cop "See you in court, azzhole !".

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!

Which would then in turn have you lead away in handcuffs:beer:

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cant believe there is a thread about this. Walk inside and finish the beer. By that time they will have left the parking lot so have another one outside.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I'm having a cold one on my front lawn near the sidewalk while doing yard work is this not legal? Its both public and private. Interesting question though.
If you are on your own property and not on public property you are good to go.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another example is, you can drink alcohol in your campsite in a public/private campground but can't leave your site with it.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mean,
It wasn't like we were swilling beers and leaving cans lying around. We had one beer each in our possession, within 10 feet of our door, the hotel was pretty much empty, and no one from the road would have seen it. I am thinking of looking in to this and see if there is a law, or were the cops just being dicks.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just wanted everyone's take on this.

Last spring, a few of us stayed at the Golden Rim Motel in Golden. We were heading up to Chatter Creek the next morning.

It was a nice afternoon, and we decided to sit outside out room, BS and talk sleds with each other.
Suddenly the come rolled in and told us that we were not allowed to consume alcohol in the parking lot. The cops threatened to fine us if they saw us again.

Afterwards, I went to the front counter of the motel and asked if we were allowed or not to sit outside and have a beer in front of our rooms. They said it was fine, I told them about the RC's giving us grief, and they said it was ok by them,

NOW, is the parking lot private property and the police have no jurisdiction ? If the owners of said parking lot allows it, can the cops still come in and enforce??

What were you guys doing that caused the come to start rolling in? LOL.

Top Bottom