How do I get the diesel smell out?

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kevin came home with diesel on his clothes, long story short, he washed them in my washer and dryer. Now my wash machine stinks like diesel... How do I get the smell out?!

Oh, and I've tried running it on extra hot - empty, full of towels, wash machine cleaner. Running it on cold - empty and full. Left it air out. I'm running out of ideas!!

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just go with it, diesel smells good!

Normally I would, but I wash my baby's clothes in there. I feel guilty like I'm washing her clothes in diesel, even though the fuel is long gone an it's just smelly. Lol

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
take the cap off the bottle and throw the fawker in close the the door :d:d:d

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Combine hot water, ammonia, washing soda and vinegar in a clean empty gallon milk jug. Shake the jug and then use it to clean the surface where the diesel was spilled. This will clean the area as well as eliminate any odors.

Wash your clothes in Listerine if they have diesel on them. This is what firemen use to get the smoke smell out of their clothing. If the diesel was spilled on a floor or car mat, you may want try rubbing some Listerine in it. Then use a carpet shampooer to wash it clean.

Lay mothballs around the room that had the diesel spill. Obviously you don't want to do this inside of your home if you have pets or children, but it is a great option for your garage or the back of your car. The mothballs are successful at neutralizing the odor.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try a citrus smelling type laundry detergent like sunlight. run a load of towels or work clothes thru and it should get rid of the smell. ma used to use it for my pa's diesel soiled clothes

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Combine hot water, ammonia, washing soda and vinegar in a clean empty gallon milk jug. Shake the jug and then use it to clean the surface where the diesel was spilled. This will clean the area as well as eliminate any odors.

Wash your clothes in Listerine if they have diesel on them. This is what firemen use to get the smoke smell out of their clothing. If the diesel was spilled on a floor or car mat, you may want try rubbing some Listerine in it. Then use a carpet shampooer to wash it clean.

Lay mothballs around the room that had the diesel spill. Obviously you don't want to do this inside of your home if you have pets or children, but it is a great option for your garage or the back of your car. The mothballs are successful at neutralizing the odor.

try a citrus smelling type laundry detergent like sunlight. run a load of towels or work clothes thru and it should get rid of the smell. ma used to use it for my pa's diesel soiled clothes

Thank you both. I will try tomorrow!!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find borax does a really good job of getting smells out.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kevin came home with diesel on his clothes, long story short, he washed them in my washer and dryer. Now my wash machine stinks like diesel... How do I get the smell out?!

Oh, and I've tried running it on extra hot - empty, full of towels, wash machine cleaner. Running it on cold - empty and full. Left it air out. I'm running out of ideas!!

pour a bottle of two stroke in med water level hot water let it cycle

wont get rid of the diesel smell but will smell better

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Thank you both. I will try tomorrow!!

To be enviromentally friendly some peeps would say use simple green. This will cause to many suds.

Rig wash (Citron) would work but the best answer I have found for jet fuel (a cut above diesel, kerosene) is to pour a cup of spray nine in a medium filled washer with WARM water and let it buck through the cyle.

After doing that, never ever wash soiledéfueléoil contaminated clothing in your home washer. Send them to the cleaners or throw them out.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Uhhhh, we don't use Listerine to clean our bunker gear. We use a special detergent so the vapour barrier doesn't get affected. :)

Top Bottom