How did we survive, when younger????????????

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bah we aren't all bad! I tend to spend a lot of time on the pc/tv at nights but i'm outside all day working, big change from people who work in a office. But doesn't matter pretty much any weekend i'm always tinkering on my truck or sled. Can't stand being inside all the time.

Got a 22 month old nephew definatly off to a good start. He is frickening huge and eats a ton but you can't keep him inside or not running around doing something. Even when it was -20 out this winter he would get mad when he had to go inside.

You can tell a big difference on parents though by how the kids act. Like the kids screaming in restaurents, etc with the parents that don't do ch!t all :realmad:

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heres another
If you are 30, or older, you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill...
Barefoot... BOTH ways… yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a
pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in
the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car... We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOD !!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right.
Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!!
You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square!
You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!
You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks!

And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!
And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!
See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or any time before!

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we had 8 tracks in the station wagon, not cassette decks. and with 6 kids, little sis and i sat wayyy in the back - i think that is where the gas tank was :eek: but yes, kids do (including mine) have it much easier than when we were growing up

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
heres another
If you are 30, or older, you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill...
Barefoot... BOTH ways… yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a
pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in
the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car... We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOD !!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right.
Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!!
You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square!
You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!
You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks!

And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!
And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!
See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or any time before!

Regards,
The Over 30 Crowd

Well said treemongrol. Just need to get the message to the kids....just try to think what it was like in the 50's & 60's????

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm only 16 i live on a farm so their is ALWAYS work to be done, i'm neveer in the house playing video games simply because i dont have them, nor do i want them they are a complete waist of time, you dont learn anything from them, i have a phone and thats all it is, non of this iphone crap that all the kids NEED to have, i only have because i need one for the farm and i pay my own bill, i have an ipod that i use ONLY when i'm in the tractor for 15 hours a day, i dont have them cranked in my ears all day long.
i have no interest being in the house all day watching tv or on the net. i'm not the average teen boy you'll see walking down the street with his pants hanging down to his knees:nono:

if i could i be as far away from the cities as i could. you'd probably never hear a kid like me say this but i love working weather i get paid or not as long as i can stay busy, i hate being bored during day light hours

i'm home schooled therefore i dont need to put up with all that crap that public schools have in them

so ether than that i think i covered it all:d

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm only 16 i live on a farm so their is ALWAYS work to be done, i'm neveer in the house playing video games simply because i dont have them, nor do i want them they are a complete waist of time, you dont learn anything from them, i have a phone and thats all it is, non of this iphone crap that all the kids NEED to have, i only have because i need one for the farm and i pay my own bill, i have an ipod that i use ONLY when i'm in the tractor for 15 hours a day, i dont have them cranked in my ears all day long.
i have no interest being in the house all day watching tv or on the net. i'm not the average teen boy you'll see walking down the street with his pants hanging down to his knees:nono:

if i could i be as far away from the cities as i could. you'd probably never hear a kid like me say this but i love working weather i get paid or not as long as i can stay busy, i hate being bored during day light hours

i'm home schooled therefore i dont need to put up with all that crap that public schools have in them

Come see me when you need a job when you're older. A good work ethic is hard to find these days. Good on ya.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

no kidding he can come see me too. if we read closely he doesn't even care if he gets paid just as long as he is busy sweet i could keep ya busy just sayin:d

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and i'm im in the 4-H club (learn to do by doing) everything i own from the shoes on my feet to the hat on my head to the quads and sleds i own all that cash comes from my own pocket, i dont rely on the parents to buy me stuff, if i want it i buy it:d

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bah i'm 20 and my dad still pays my phone bill. Granted, until a few days ago I still worked for him so that was my excuse :d

But yea it is getting tougher to find young people who work hard. And guess what you will find out, ALL of us young guys get labeled like that and it's a SOB to get good jobs, etc. Took me a long time to get on with a good company but they sure won't regret giving me a chance :beer:

If you have the same qualifications as someone like mid 20's, or so, chances almost for sure they will get the job over you, which sucks. Even a lot of positions even if your qualified you won't get because of age.

But if you keep up like that you will do fine for sure.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that just kills me is the whole idea that kids need.......A RIDE TO SCHOOL. :eek: In Grande Cache it takes like 20 minutes to walk from one end of town to the other; and the middle school and high school are right in the middle of town. When we hit Grade 1 we walked to school; no matter what the weather was doing, and I grew up up in Creighton SK. It got COLD there!!! I think our average winter temp in Grande Cache is about -8*. Our kids are pretty good about not being couch potatoes; but they still seem to figure if it's anything other than ideal weather outside they need a ride to school.:rolleyes: I had to walk to school, uphill, both ways,..............I was born in '69.;):beer:

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that just kills me is the whole idea that kids need.......A RIDE TO SCHOOL. :eek: In Grande Cache it takes like 20 minutes to walk from one end of town to the other; and the middle school and high school are right in the middle of town. When we hit Grade 1 we walked to school; no matter what the weather was doing, and I grew up up in Creighton SK. It got COLD there!!! I think our average winter temp in Grande Cache is about -8*. Our kids are pretty good about not being couch potatoes; but they still seem to figure if it's anything other than ideal weather outside they need a ride to school.:rolleyes: I had to walk to school, uphill, both ways,..............I was born in '69.;):beer:

I can laugh at this whole hearted, When you are the first house on seasame street {9702 104St.} it is up hill to school it is also uphill to the area. And there was no ride to get to hockey so i had to CARRY my bag. it didnt have wheels like these new ones. Plow the road and clear the sidewalks?? Yea like that happened so you had to deal with the 1-3 feet of snow on the ground. Ahh the good old days of GC, i would move back there to raise my kids if the work was there for me. Those were the days

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you talk about kids needing a ride to school,, i dont blame them.... if you were 12 and in front of a TV/computer all day and eat chips and drink pop all day and weighed 300lbs i think you'd want a ride to the school thats 3 blocks away too lol sorry i just had to put that in:d

but yea its just plain stupid, you have legs so WALK. get some exercise, get some fresh air enjoy it while you have it, if it was up to me i'd be up north or in Alaska were it gets really cold and you get lots of snow, thats my kind of conditions :d

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we can obviously point the finger at the parents. A shining example in the thread is SNOWPUSHER. He's 16, but seems to know whats up. Obviously, his parents have instilled great values into him.

A kid will only sit on the couch if you let em. I'm younger, at 25, but my parents were quite good at saying stuff along the lines of 'here's your bike, see you at dinner'. As time passed and I wanted a better bike, it went along the lines of 'here's a computer, type out a resume' which caused me to get a job when I was 15 or so.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that technology has changed, and parenting styles have followed.

Not to point fingers at anyones parenting, that job is exceptionally difficult. Or so I hear, I have yet to go down that road. Just trying to throw another view into the mix.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a neighbor who drops and picks up his kids AT THE BUS STOP 1/2 BLOCK FROM THE HOUSE.

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of people know about the attitude kids now a days, and lots of people think that all kids are the same..... well their not... i gets lots of people asking me "whats wrong with you people" the best i got to tell them is "i'm not everyone, and the fingers are pointing at YOUR generation for raising the kids"

like Jay said, Not to point fingers at anyones parenting, but people need to realize its not 100% the kids fault for who they are

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of people know about the attitude kids now a days, and lots of people think that all kids are the same..... well their not... i gets lots of people asking me "whats wrong with you people" the best i got to tell them is "i'm not everyone, and the fingers are pointing at YOUR generation for raising the kids"

like Jay said, Not to point fingers at anyones parenting, but people need to realize its not 100% the kids fault for who they are

You are correct it is parenting, school system and society. I feel there is no fear left in the younger generation. When i was a kid i didnt act up in school you could get the strap. Never would i talk back to my perents, slap to the back of the head hurts. B&E and stealing of destruction of someone else stuff now you had to deal with the cops, then the slap on the back of the head from dad.

Now kids back talk teachers , because what can they do? Sweet FA. Spank your kids yep gonna catch chit over that now, kids say i will call social services.

There were times i screwed up and got beat like a rented mule and i hated my dad for it. Today i respect my dad more than anyone for those lessons and lessons they were.

RESPECT is the one value that is needed more than anything. And the world today is seriously lacking

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no matter what our kids and the new generation think about us,

we are awesome !!!!

Our life is living proof !!!!

To those of us born

1930 - 1979

at the end of this email is a quote of the month by jay leno.

Very well stated, mr. Leno.

To all the kids who survived the

1930's, 40's, 50's,

60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank w hile they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads..

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes made with lard, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank flav-or- aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. Why?

Because we were always outside playing....that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on..

No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were okay.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem

we did not have play stations, nintendo' s and x-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or dvd's,

no surround-sound or cd's,

no cell phones,

no personal computers,

no internet and no chat rooms.

We had friends and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping pong paddles, or just a bare hand and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given bb guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment

imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever..

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. What can kids today do besides push buttons?

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all..

If you are one of them, congratulations!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good (?).

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

~

the quote of the month is by

jay leno:

'with hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of h1n1 flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take god out of the pledge of allegiance?'

you know this is so true , the person that wrote this is oblivously not in politics.. However if that person was with all there common sence they should be...and we would all be better off for it........

shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are correct it is parenting, school system and society. I feel there is no fear left in the younger generation. When i was a kid i didnt act up in school you could get the strap. Never would i talk back to my perents, slap to the back of the head hurts. B&E and stealing of destruction of someone else stuff now you had to deal with the cops, then the slap on the back of the head from dad.

Now kids back talk teachers , because what can they do? Sweet FA. Spank your kids yep gonna catch chit over that now, kids say i will call social services.

There were times i screwed up and got beat like a rented mule and i hated my dad for it. Today i respect my dad more than anyone for those lessons and lessons they were.

RESPECT is the one value that is needed more than anything. And the world today is seriously lacking

i agree there is no RESPECT from any of the kids anymore.. and if you instill it in your children, they see how the others kids are, and it goes out the window

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spank your kids yep gonna catch chit over that now, kids say i will call social services.

I won't lie, I got hit for something, not that I remember now (Nor does my mom, she can only confirm that I deserved it) and I busted out that line. My mom handed me the phone and called my bluff. I quickly realized I had it pretty sweet and went to make amends.

Live and learn I guess. :d

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't lie, I got hit for something, not that I remember now (Nor does my mom, she can only confirm that I deserved it) and I busted out that line. My mom handed me the phone and called my bluff. I quickly realized I had it pretty sweet and went to make amends.

Live and learn I guess. :d

Good for your mom and great for you. I will even go as far a dial the # for them

Top Bottom