How did we survive, when younger????????????

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
No matter what our kids and the new generation think about us,

WE ARE AWESOME !!!!

OUR LIFE IS LIVING PROOF !!!!

To Those of Us Born

1930 - 1979

At the end of this email is a quote of the month by Jay Leno.

Very well stated, Mr. Leno.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's,

60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank w hile they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads..

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes made with Lard, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank FLAV-OR- AID made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. WHY?

Because we were always outside playing....that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on..

No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo' s and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's,

no surround-sound or CD's,

no cell phones,

no personal computers,

no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping pong paddles, or just a bare hand and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever..

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. What can kids today do besides push buttons?

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all..

If YOU are one of them, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good (?).

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

~

The quote of the month is by

Jay Leno:

'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of H1N1 flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

Last edited:

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: How did we survive, when younger?

When I was a kid my file at the childrens hospital was about 3" thick. My parents were even questioned about possible abuse. Broken bones, stitches, a few missing teeth, all part of growing up outdoors with my friends. Ahh the good ol days.:)

glacier mt lodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.glaciermountainlodge.com

When I was a kid my file at the childrens hospital was about 3" thick. My parents were even questioned about possible abuse. Broken bones, stitches, a few missing teeth, all part of growing up outdoors with my friends. Ahh the good ol days.:)

Dooryder's file is about that thick also.......:eek::eek:

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

no kidding i grew up on a farm we didn't wash are hands till supper time ate raw vegs out of the garden with dirt played in the barn when it rained and grew up healthy also i don't remember any fat kids in our school

Big kid 33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

most of use played hockey when we were kids

i read the paper this week about the mom who wants them so stop hitting in hockey because her kid got hurt ( where i went to school even for my mom to suggest this would have hurt a lot more than any hit i ever got in hockey)
when we got hurt we were told to get up and play though the pain
we all survived
now that i am older i am glad that i was made to keep on going through the pain sometimes in life you just have to accept it and go
what is going to happen when these kids are older

AliciaAlways

Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com

That is awesome, Jay Leno really said it best. Although I am an 80's baby, most of my younger childhood was a lot similar. As of junior high, it all changed. It sucks how much the gov't does regulate ourlives but we are the ones who let it happen!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

no kidding i grew up on a farm we didn't wash are hands till supper time ate raw vegs out of the garden with dirt played in the barn when it rained and grew up healthy also i don't remember any fat kids in our school

you washed your hands for supper time:confused: you must have had a mean mom. jk:d

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
The more kids are sheltered from challenges, competition, failures, bumps, bruises, scrapes etc the less capable they will become as adults.

Kids learn from these things, they learn how to cope with competition, adversity and even failure or injury. The world outside of mom/dad's house can be a cold harsh place and at some point we all have to face that fact.

I'm not sayin' kids should be thrown out to the wolves, but exposure to these things a little at a time while growing up helps them become functioning adults. If they don't learn how to deal with this early in life, it's awful tough to learn these skills as an adult.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Completely agree, what do you mean use to drink from a garden hose?!?! I still do! Meh i'm not that old but I know it's still 100x worse now. I agree, sports like hockey with hitting is great, I was in sports year round till about 13.

My hospital list is pretty good, stitches in the face 4 times, 1 broken bone and lots of minor things :d

Definatly can't have kids inside all the time. I mean I remember always being outside playing street hockey, building tree forts, riding bikes, skateboarding, anything. You don't see it much anymore. I mean I wasn't in perfect shape as a kid but I was still extremly active. Even schools did a lot better job, going to rinks skating, baseball, soccer, etc all the time. Again something else that is gone.....

Last edited:

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com

Hell Yeah!

I was born in '64 and I think I had a much better childhood than my son has at the moment. Mind you I lived in town and had 2 younger brothers and a lot of kids to play with, till it got dark anyway. We live on an acreage now and he is an only child so that makes a huge difference, but I am very glad that I grew up then and not now.
Although I must say that my son gets to ride his quad all the time which I never did of course.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's seems kids get all wraped up in tv or vid games and it consumes them. We had cartoons on sat morning a couple of shows right after school and the rest of the time you made up you own fun outside. Now you can watch cartoons 24/7 and when you think you have nothing to watch you flip through the channels till something comes up.

I think the gov't should regulate how much tv,vid games,and crap kids due today. They seem to have an answear for everythung else we do.

Just saying:nono:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lost count of all the "battle scars" I have lol. I have to pay rent on a filing cabnet now at the local hospital lol. I was born in 72 and the kids now, have alot to learn. when we had a problem we settled it (usually out back of the school) but to day they just bring a gun into school. this just bugs me. I remember laying in the back window of my moms big boat well driving down the road. if in a crash it had enough noise to crush up, that you had more than a minute to propare for a crash lol. oh and do you guys remember when trucks where trucks? they were used for work....big engine and made to work..........now if you own a truck you need to have more than one tv in it lol. the world is picking up to much speed! just my 2 cents! but it was worth alot more 20-30 years ago.....lol.....you could buy two candies for 2 cents lol. what can you buy now for a penney? lol

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amen Rick...we all turned out ok. This was my speech this winter when so many people jumped on the bandwagon about how we should all have regulated avy training (which i do have) and my point was we are regulated so much we all forget to think anymore as society is so regulated now the government and all these interest groups think for us...I feel bad for the kids today as most of them don't even realize what they are missing out on...I don't think the next 50 yrs are going to be as great as the last 50 were....just my 2 cents....Great post.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
People have gone soft, my 14 year old nephew was out at my place the other night and picked up my splittin axe, took a couple swings at some birch, I started laughing my as$ of cause it looked like a six year old girl swinging it. After listening to his mom and all her excuses about not pushing him to do that kinda stuff, I politely told her to fawk off and gave him a crash course in manning up. Finally split a log after 20 swings but its a start. My 15month old is already tougher but he is fed on mud and av gas. He even had his first peddle bike accident a few weeks ago, probably has a permenant scar. I was so proud.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny though, folks all have to have the dvd in the truck/van so they don't have to talk to the the kids, tv's in the RV's so the kids don't bug them, seven tv's in the house and all the game systems, Ipods, Iphones and cell phones but it's the younger generations fault that they don't have a clue. Maybe if people spent a little less time working so they can afford all that useless crap and spent time with their families......never mind

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have kids, but I observe how a few of my buddies roll with their families. My pal Pecos has a very down to earth wife and together they raise their kids as close to "old school" as I have seen in recent years. They have the Playstations and toys, but the kids are limited to very little usage on a daily basis. The kids are all booted outside every day to play or do chores. The kids are included in all camping adventures from the day they're born. (It will be nice to have a drink with Pecos' wife again some day as she always seems to be breast-feeding an infant in the summer...LOL). Weekend getaways and several week-long vacations with the whole family happen every year. Anyways...the result: extremely well-manner kids. Healthy, hugely athletic, fun to be with, and very smart. Pecos has 5 kids from 15 down to 1....all going to be achievers when they get older.

On the other side of the coin I have an aquaintance with three kids that he rarely speaks to, except to belittle or punish them for annoying him. They have been raised by TV since they could sit up and spend 99% of their free time in the house on a game toy or watching TV. Never been on a family holiday EVER. The result: the oldest is starting to get obese and is going to get worse. Very introverted and non-social. The middle is struggling for identity and I can see this one knocked up at 14....a feww years off now, but the signs are there. The youngest is a terror. Always fighting and punching and mouthing his parents....jail for him by 17.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have 20 month old, and he doesn't even watch TV, he's never really been interested in it, and we turn the tv off if he is around.... The only thing he has even seen on the tube is good ol hockey.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't even want to start on this....my wife and I were some of those that had to walk to school uphill both ways with snow in July, TV only after 7:00 pm (not a parent's rule but that was only when it was available), even lived in a place where the TV came on a film reel that lasted for 4 hours per night!!!

The younger generation now-a-day's, is all about me! Not to offend anyone, but even the 30 year old's (and we have 4 of them), it is me, me, me! I'm thinking that is why all the kids have all the toys so that the parents don't have to be parents but just doo what they want to doo! The credit crunch is about me and not being a responsible parent; truck, car, house, hot tub, sled, quad, boat, TV, taxes, insurance, (and I could go on and on) all on credit.

Sure glad I was raised when I was and only had to wash my hands at meal time and before bed.....I don't think that the younger generation will have a very happy retirement.....just to stir the pot!!!

Top Bottom