Home siding options?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at siding my house, got a quote for 40K to do Hardie, any other options out there that are good and maybe a little more wallet friendly?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There are a number of hard board types out there one being CanExcel. I don't know if it is much cheaper than Hardie board but the installation is a little easier.

Anything would be better than vinyl. Get a quote for some of the vinyl and see what the difference is. Percentage wise it may not be that much different.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
James Hardie is very nice siding however that have experienced hairline cracking in Alberta and Saskatchewan. They have a lot (a lot) of denied claims. 3 years ago they canceled their warranties out east and NWT/Alaska. If you go Hardie you don't want to be anywhere near the home while it's done, the Silica is very high. In BC and many of the States you have to have a Air filtered sealed enclosure and wear proper masks and disposable coveralls to cut it.

CanExcel is also experiencing failures.
1. Excessive moisture has caused it to buckle
2. The finish is degrading faster than it should under high UV (like Ab and Sk).
They are warranting but it's 2-3 years and pro-rated. Some very unhappy peeps out there.

Some problems being experienced by various manufacturers are related to changes that are related to environmental changes and quite frankly products are failing here because of UV.

KWP wood siding looks really nice but has experienced shrinking which exposed joint chalking. Qualified installers are hard to find so warranty is always in question. They have also had problems with the outside finish flaking after about 3 years. They warranty and re-paint only to have it fail again. Warranty claims are a long term project.

That is my nickels worth of info from my recent years in that industry.

Tapatalk....well I'm happy with you now....thanks for the fix.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used kwp on my garage and very unhappy with how much it has shrunk. Would not recommend it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have CanExcel on my house and shop. After 15 years it is still looking great! During the same time frame I have a buddy who built and put on vinyl siding and he's replaced it three times.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I have CanExcel on my house and shop. After 15 years it is still looking great! During the same time frame I have a buddy who built and put on vinyl siding and he's replaced it three times.

CanExcel was good, so was Hardie 15 yrs ago, it's been the last 8-10 years that they have had to change the way it's manufactured.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What's up with buddy's vinyl siding?? Current house is almost 20 years old, and our previous place is over 30 years now - both houses still have original vinyl siding on them. Sure they don't look as sharp as some of the products today, but absolutely zero maintenance over 20-30+ years... Couple small cracks/holes from "user abuse", but nothing I would say is the fault of the product at all.

I'm personally a fan of metal though, and really like some of the textures and designs companies are coming out with these days to make it more visually appealing. Spend a bit more for a heavier gauge and you shouldn't have to worry about it for almost forever!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What's up with buddy's vinyl siding?? Current house is almost 20 years old, and our previous place is over 30 years now - both houses still have original vinyl siding on them. Sure they don't look as sharp as some of the products today, but absolutely zero maintenance over 20-30+ years... Couple small cracks/holes from "user abuse", but nothing I would say is the fault of the product at all.

I'm personally a fan of metal though, and really like some of the textures and designs companies are coming out with these days to make it more visually appealing. Spend a bit more for a heavier gauge and you shouldn't have to worry about it for almost forever!

I agree with the metal. Textures, profiles, and color choices have come a long way in the last few years.

Buddies' siding has faded bad and is chalking to the extent that different sides of the house are noticeably different colors. I'm thinking it is KayCan but not sure on that. The company replaces the product but will not include the price for the install.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com

8-10 years ago there were some changes in the environmental laws that made it so many of the manufacturers had to update the formulas for their products, this has led to failures years later that were not anticipated. In the vinyl siding industry the products have been plagued with warranty claims in our neck of the country from fading, oxidizing etc. no manufacture has been excluded.
For Ab and Sk some manufactures will no longer supply some of there dark colors due to failure. It hard to believe but only one manufacture has a plant I. Western Canada, actually Alberta, and their formula is different than the East to overcome our excessive heat changes and very high U.V. that just kills vinyl.

Yep, I was a Rep for a Manufacture and learned way more than I'd like to about the industries problems.

Vinyl from 20 years ago ow way superior to vinyl today.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I agree with the metal. Textures, profiles, and color choices have come a long way in the last few years.

Buddies' siding has faded bad and is chalking to the extent that different sides of the house are noticeably different colors. I'm thinking it is KayCan but not sure on that. The company replaces the product but will not include the price for the install.

Doug, you should connect with me, I worked for Kaycan as the Mfg Rep.

Regarding metal fading, it's the UV. Biggest problem these days. Signs, paints, vinyls etc are all being degraded at a much faster rate in our neck of the woods, in areas of the U.S. These same products are surviving just fine.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Acrylic Stucco is a nice/popular finish. My families company does a lot of this. It would probably be more than 40g to do your house, but it would last a very long time.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I see. Our houses both have rather light coloured siding (off-white and light grey). Perhaps this has helped with the sun problems a bit too...

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
8-10 years ago there were some changes in the environmental laws that made it so many of the manufacturers had to update the formulas for their products, this has led to failures years later that were not anticipated. In the vinyl siding industry the products have been plagued with warranty claims in our neck of the country from fading, oxidizing etc. no manufacture has been excluded.
For Ab and Sk some manufactures will no longer supply some of there dark colors due to failure. It hard to believe but only one manufacture has a plant I. Western Canada, actually Alberta, and their formula is different than the East to overcome our excessive heat changes and very high U.V. that just kills vinyl.

Yep, I was a Rep for a Manufacture and learned way more than I'd like to about the industries problems.

Vinyl from 20 years ago ow way superior to vinyl today.

Thanks for the info SBR. I guess it's like a lot of products being manufactured today - just not like they use to be!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Acrylic Stucco is a nice/popular finish. My families company does a lot of this. It would probably be more than 40g to do your house, but it would last a very long time.

Nothing but good to say about the current stucco, not cheap but last and looks good.

Top Bottom