Home siding options?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Thanks for the info SBR. I guess it's like a lot of products being manufactured today - just not like they use to be!

Well said. And to be fair the manufactures are trying to find solutions but once they think they have one it takes a couple years of real world use to see if works. They do have "tests" but they never work true as real world.

Tapatalk....well I'm happy with you now....thanks for the fix.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
James Hardie is very nice siding however that have experienced hairline cracking in Alberta and Saskatchewan. They have a lot (a lot) of denied claims. 3 years ago they canceled their warranties out east and NWT/Alaska. If you go Hardie you don't want to be anywhere near the home while it's done, the Silica is very high. In BC and many of the States you have to have a Air filtered sealed enclosure and wear proper masks and disposable coveralls to cut it.

CanExcel is also experiencing failures.
1. Excessive moisture has caused it to buckle
2. The finish is degrading faster than it should under high UV (like Ab and Sk).
They are warranting but it's 2-3 years and pro-rated. Some very unhappy peeps out there.

Some problems being experienced by various manufacturers are related to changes that are related to environmental changes and quite frankly products are failing here because of UV.

KWP wood siding looks really nice but has experienced shrinking which exposed joint chalking. Qualified installers are hard to find so warranty is always in question. They have also had problems with the outside finish flaking after about 3 years. They warranty and re-paint only to have it fail again. Warranty claims are a long term project.

That is my nickels worth of info from my recent years in that industry.

So, if you were building a new house today, what would YOU put on it?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
So, if you were building a new house today, what would YOU put on it?

Tar paper.....lol

Depending on how much I wanted to spend.
Low End - lighter color vinyl with dark corners and accents.
Mid Range - KWP Wood in a lighter color with dark accents, as I know installers I'd know who to get.
High End - Acrylic Stucco

The majority of problems are happening with darker colors, they look awesome but get hot. Combine the heat with UV and thing can go wrong.
Vinyl is designer to accept heat 150-190 degrees. I did a heat test on the inside corner exposed to the sun 325 degrees. The siding was literally melting.
Same is true with painted items if they are dark...hot, hot, hot. I seen painted items blister....not good.
A school in Edmonton is trying to get Hardie replaced. It faces south west and gets full sun. It's faded, cracked and falling off in places. It's darker and heats to 275 degrees. It's not designed for that.
What happens is the heat gets trapped behind wood, vinyl and metal and everything expands, shrinks, melts, overheats etc
Dark trims don't have the same problems because they are just partial panels.

I have Old School Alum on my house. It's going to get Vinyl as stated above.
My cabin is vinyl, 13+ years old. South facing is faded but I don't see that side so it's ok. Everything else is fine. It's a lighter color. Yes it doesn't look as nice as other products but I was on a budget.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thread. Thanks for the info. We are building in the spring so really good stuff to know.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick question......how much more is acrylic stucco than hardie board? Is acrylic stucco something a person can do themselves if they are handy, or is it pretty specialized? I plan on taking the year off and doing 95% of the building on our place. Just wondering if it is an option for me to do stucco myself.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Quick question......how much more is acrylic stucco than hardie board? Is acrylic stucco something a person can do themselves if they are handy, or is it pretty specialized? I plan on taking the year off and doing 95% of the building on our place. Just wondering if it is an option for me to do stucco myself.

Acrylic Stucco is specialized. I don't know much about it.
Hardy board is cement so you would need a couple of the correct $200 mitre cutting blades, a couple of proper circular saw blades, shears, Hepa Vac, jig saw, hole cutting blades an overlap gauge, a handful of other cement related tools and most important - a quality HEPA filter mask with a filter change every day you use the product. This is a 2 man project and can not be done by yourself. Hardie breaks very easily if you drop one corner of a board to the ground.
I'd do a google search about installing the products, there is lots of info.
Look up the Hardie recommendations for install and follow them. The product is fibre cement and has SILICA in it. It's recommended children under the age of 18 no come in contact with the dust for 48 hours minimum. They should not be at home at all during the cutting or install.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

I don't know about acrylic stucco but I am sure you could handle the regular stucco. Scratch coat and finish coat wouldn't be that bad. I don't know about cost. There must be an older Italian mason in Creston who could get you started! You could texture it, color it, and you could make it look good.

FYI, I did a 1600 sq.ft bungalow in a spanish style texture and it turned out great. I had the Italian mason start me off and over the summer I got 'er done. No previous stucco experience.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I don't know about acrylic stucco but I am sure you could handle the regular stucco. Scratch coat and finish coat wouldn't be that bad. I don't know about cost. There must be an older Italian mason in Creston who could get you started! You could texture it, color it, and you could make it look good.

FYI, I did a 1600 sq.ft bungalow in a spanish style texture and it turned out great. I had the Italian mason start me off and over the summer I got 'er done. No previous stucco experience.

You could use a couple weeks in Creston Doug....lol

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You could use a couple weeks in Creston Doug....lol

It would be nice! I don't know if I want to work that hard anymore. Lots of ladder climbing and probably the arm would get a little sore. It would get me in shape for the upcoming sledding season, eh!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
It would be nice! I don't know if I want to work that hard anymore. Lots of ladder climbing and probably the arm would get a little sore. It would get me in shape for the upcoming sledding season, eh!

Sounds like we have a volunteer....lol
It's hard work for sure.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Id say no, Acrylic Stucco wouldn't be a good do it your self type project. There is quite a bit to it, to do it right takes years to learn. And it's very easy to make look like chit. Even if you did know what you were doing, its pretty hard to do right by yourself. You pretty much need a crew.

I suppose anything is possible though and most do it your selfers wouldn't hold their own work to the same standards as some one they just payed 100g.

As far as price, its expensive materials and a lot of labour. Im no expert on the Hardie Board, but I would imagine Acrylic could be 2 or 3x the price
depending on how much detail you are going for. Buildouts,joints ext

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind there is different ways of doing Acrylic. We work on high end homes and commercial buildings, we mainly use the EFIS system.

images

Last edited:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com

cancritter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hardy yuk
acrylic stucco..do google search re probs and complaints would avoid
oldschool stucco...scratch,brown coat and finish...dash always best.....my pic unless ya wana pay me to do stone....40 k is to much

Top Bottom