If you left Canada, Where would you go?

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being taxed to death is getting old. There is definitely more lunchroom chatter about the same thing, from people I never would have expected. Another 4 yrs of sock boy will be the end of this great country. Seeing a few articles out about the amount of people leaving already. Mexico sees to be the top pick. I'm to young to retire, (and buy to much dumb crap) but more and more it's closing my mind. So the question is are there any other viable options? If it's the states, which one and why. Most online articles for expats are for retirees. More thinking about the kids futures.........

sleded1

Reaction score
Check different sites to get a good idea. Healthcare, accessibility to the country and cost are all important. My pick would be Hungary, or Cyprus. Both are low cost of living, great healthcare system. accessibility to family is limited,, but a few trips per year isn't unreasonable.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no where, Alberia will always be my home. Debated it so much but this place is heaven if it ever existed IMO. Travelled the world but those rocky mountains always call me back

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Know a guy that just moved to Panama. He says where he is it's 20 degrees all year. Sounds pretty good to me. Probably humid as hell I guess.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check different sites to get a good idea. Healthcare, accessibility to the country and cost are all important. My pick would be Hungary, or Cyprus. Both are low cost of living, great healthcare system. accessibility to family is limited,, but a few trips per year isn't unreasonable.
I have family that is still living in Hungary…. So glad my grandparents left!!
Those people are dirt poor… and their relative distance from Russia and the Middle East… no thanks!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta/Northern BC oil patch.

Not joking, with TMX and Coastal Gas link set to open this decade theres going to be development happening on a greater scale again. We're already severely short on skilled labour, and that will continue and get worse.

Our healthcare system suck, and I don't see that changing much soon, at least I'm young for now and hopefully won't need it. Taxes suck too, but lots of nice places have high taxes as well.

I don't see a way that Trudeau makes it past the next election, his time is up, he just doesn't realize it yet.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending what your job is now makes a dif if you got 20 years of working left id be down in texas in a heartbeat but if it was to leave canada to retire then so many dif options

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta/Northern BC oil patch.

Not joking, with TMX and Coastal Gas link set to open this decade theres going to be development happening on a greater scale again. We're already severely short on skilled labour, and that will continue and get worse.

Our healthcare system suck, and I don't see that changing much soon, at least I'm young for now and hopefully won't need it. Taxes suck too, but lots of nice places have high taxes as well.

I don't see a way that Trudeau makes it past the next election, his time is up, he just doesn't realize it yet.
But he will run up such a tab and dump it
On the next party ehat is that party spose to do? it will take forever to balance the books again so where will the cuts be able to come from? Besides dumping carbon tax i dont see life gettin alot more affordable anytime soon sadly

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But he will run up such a tab and dump it
On the next party ehat is that party spose to do? it will take forever to balance the books again so where will the cuts be able to come from? Besides dumping carbon tax i dont see life gettin alot more affordable anytime soon sadly

Let industry do what industry does. Just get the fawk out of the way and approve permits in less than a decade for major projects.

The money that has been spent is gone. Canada needs to greatly increase its GDP again to return our standard of living. Most people use this philosophy in their personal budgets too, you can only cut spending so much, eventually you need to make more money. We are so incredibly resource rich, and as of late so incredibly incompetent at taking advantage of it.

Like Churchill said "trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to lift yourself by the handle".

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Two of my parents winter in the US and after 65 the insurance is pricey... like sell your property and look else where.... especially when they have an impending financial crisis coming again....

I am always hearing how europe can be reasonable to live... Croatia is beautiful on the coast

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let industry do what industry does. Just get the fawk out of the way and approve permits in less than a decade for major projects.

The money that has been spent is gone. Canada needs to greatly increase its GDP again to return our standard of living. Most people use this philosophy in their personal budgets too, you can only cut spending so much, eventually you need to make more money. We are so incredibly resource rich, and as of late so incredibly incompetent at taking advantage of it.

Like Churchill said "trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to lift yourself by the handle".
Soon as gov steps out of the way the natives step in to cockblock projects whole system needs a overhaul

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My wife and I are talking about this more and more. In the next couple of years, start travelling more abroad and seeing what we would like?
Panama and Costa Rica are the 2 priorities for us.
Warm, ocean and no colder than +10c lol

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending what your job is now makes a dif if you got 20 years of working left id be down in texas in a heartbeat but if it was to leave canada to retire then so many dif options

I disagree switching companies is a wise decsion. Lots of guys I know went to Texas during 2019, and when covid hit they were the first to get laid off and had to come beg for their job back. There are guys going again to Texas (drilling consultants) for 1200 USD a day but to me that is hoping there isn't another recession. Making 1000 Canadian a day is good enough with the job security knowing a guy will work through a recession

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
USA, have the strongest Constitution (for the people) in the world. Maybe Texas, Virginia or Montana.

Top Bottom