Hats in restaurants

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was travelling with the family around ALberta over spring break. Noticed the prevalence of hats being worn in restaurants. Not talking the local Tims, or in the lounges, these were decent places. When we were kids you got the back of your head smacked by Mom for not taking your hat off in a restaurant (and a few other public places). We watched some families still show this respect, and a few times Mom and Dad made sure of it. Also saw a few 18 to 50 somethings that would take off their hats, but there was plenty that did not. Asked a few of the owners/managers about this and the same answer seemed to be repeated...."it's an Alberta thing".

Times change sure, but simple respect for others and nice places should not. Maybe I was just raised differently. Call it a pet peeve of mine.

Go!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really sure how taking your hat off in a restaurant shows respect for others, but whatever. I don't care either way.
This.

I was raised to take off my hat in restaurants and in people's homes but it never made sense to me. I usually leave it on in an restaurant unless it's a pretty nice one. I still take it off in homes.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL that is my mom's pet peeve and I would not dare wear a hat at the dinner table as it would have taken an ugly turn. I guess its the way we were raised.

Was travelling with the family around ALberta over spring break. Noticed the prevalence of hats being worn in restaurants. Not talking the local Tims, or in the lounges, these were decent places. When we were kids you got the back of your head smacked by Mom for not taking your hat off in a restaurant (and a few other public places). We watched some families still show this respect, and a few times Mom and Dad made sure of it. Also saw a few 18 to 50 somethings that would take off their hats, but there was plenty that did not. Asked a few of the owners/managers about this and the same answer seemed to be repeated...."it's an Alberta thing".

Times change sure, but simple respect for others and nice places should not. Maybe I was just raised differently. Call it a pet peeve of mine.

Go!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am bad for wearing a hat! I feel weird without it on! I wear it everywhere! It hides my balding for head, and might be the cause if it. But if I go somewhere fancy I don't wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet people that know me would recognize me if I wasn't wearing it! Lol

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's a nice enough place that I'm in dress pants/nice jeans and a button up shirt I will take my hat off but if I'm at BP's having been n wings and my hat offends or irritates you find another place to eat. I'm sorry but everyone should have bigger problems to worry about then my hat being on at a average restaurant.

my dinner table- hat off
when I'm a guest for dinner- hat off
fancy restaurant-hat off

Average burger place hat on

Last edited:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I was raised to not wear mine and usually take it off. Especially at other people houses, but normally out of habit just about any time I am eating but I really don't see the disrespectful side of it. Just habit for me

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seeing how bathrooms are now open to gender or cross gender depending on perspective I'm thinking a hat isn't a big deal.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I certainly do not mean to disrespect anyone .... But I think it's time to worry about more important issues ....than hats in restaurants ...lol
For example I was in Leon's the other day and their was 3 Muslim women ( I guess ) with about half an inch slit in front of their eyes to look at furniture . Covered from head to toe, had to pull on the head dress to check out a love seat .....lmaf!

When I see the way we cater to this form of dress , not to mention our rcmp / or citizen ship process .....
now that really offends me !!!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL that is my mom's pet peeve and I would not dare wear a hat at the dinner table as it would have taken an ugly turn. I guess its the way we were raised.
my mom is the same way. you don't dare wear a hat in her house when you sit down to eat. she's also a camp cook, and will not feed anyone that wears a hat in the dining room.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my mom is the same way. you don't dare wear a hat in her house when you sit down to eat. she's also a camp cook, and will not feed anyone that wears a hat in the dining room.

Most camps I been at on the rigs are that way. You don't dare wear your hat in them!

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear my hat all the time but nice eatery no or in house no

Last edited by a moderator:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ball cap thing never really bothered me even though I've never worn a hat myself. I would guess it's more tradition than anything from the days when people wore fedoras and such. I would think that one wouldn't wear a hat in a fancier establishment, but how is it different from someone wearing jeans?

Don't really see the correlation between ball caps and Muslim attire. Do we need to mention Jews wearing their Kipas in public too?

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I certainly do not mean to disrespect anyone .... But I think it's time to worry about more important issues ....than hats in restaurants ...lol
For example I was in Leon's the other day and their was 3 Muslim women ( I guess ) with about half an inch slit in front of their eyes to look at furniture . Covered from head to toe, had to pull on the head dress to check out a love seat .....lmaf!

When I see the way we cater to this form of dress , not to mention our rcmp / or citizen ship process .....
now that really offends me !!!!

Lol, couldn't resist....

n-basic-elbise--siyah--everdyday-basic-144210-1.jpg

Top Bottom