Hats in restaurants

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ball cap thing never really bothered me even though I've never worn a hat myself. I would guess it's more tradition than anything from the days when people wore fedoras and such. I would think that one wouldn't wear a hat in a fancier establishment, but how is it different from someone wearing jeans?

Don't really see the correlation between ball caps and Muslim attire. Do we need to mention Jews wearing their Kipas in public too?
One completely hides your identity , one does not ..... Big difference in many ways to a lot of people . Including security issues....but hey JT likes it , so it must be good .
If you had walked into a bank 25 years ago . With every thing covered in black but a slit for your eyes .... You might not walk out ... On your own.

As far as the Jews go, I have no idea what they wear for head gear . Mainly because they are most likely out making a living . So I don't really see them on TV that much / or hear much complaints from them....unlike the many Muslims who sue our government every day over what rights they have in OUR country, amongst other things ...

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suspect that those of us who had parents who taught strict manner don't wear our hats in a restaurant and have taught our kids the same. To me it's about respect. Try wearing your hat in the local legion see how that works out for you. I don't mind if others wear their hats while they eat, but it makes me wonder if they washed their hands after they took a crap? Or it could be a equal rights thing since girls get to wear their hats why shouldn't boys. Hard to say what's going on. My advice, never shake hands with a man who wears his hat while he eats!

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that people that talk about cattle & grain prices at the table is bad, They are so busy calculating the gains and losses that it's trouble some when I need them to pass me the salt and pepper.

Some how they switch the conversation too the weather just as I get ready to chow down on my steak, that errrks me too !!!

Then they get up after a meal and take the best sleeping spot on the couch, now that is just to much.

It won't be long before folks start to chat about how the NDP in Alberta are the best thing that's ever come along,,, oh crap, my cowboy hat just fell into the gravy bowl.

Oh well,,,,,, no one seen a thing !!!

Ha Ha. Fixed "Steak."

Last edited:

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suspect that those of us who had parents who taught strict manner don't wear our hats in a restaurant and have taught our kids the same. To me it's about respect. Try wearing your hat in the local legion see how that works out for you. I don't mind if others wear their hats while they eat, but it makes me wonder if they washed their hands after they took a crap? Or it could be a equal rights thing since girls get to wear their hats why shouldn't boys. Hard to say what's going on. My advice, never shake hands with a man who wears his hat while he eats!
WTF.... So wearing your hat at the table equates to not washing your hands after you crap, this coming from a guy who's last name is brown...

Last edited:

tsiciliano

Reaction score
Wearing a hat indoors was seen as disrespectful as if to say" my roof isn't good enough for you"? That is why it's disrespectful to wear your hat in someones home or in a restaurant. That being said most people have bigger things to worry about. When you walk into my father's house you remove your hat and jacket if your cold simply state that and he will adjust the heat to your liking. But again that's old school thinking these days

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most camps I been at on the rigs are that way. You don't dare wear your hat in them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a sign of respect and cleanliness from old school. Guy in camp was being a smart azz wearing cap in kitchen - big no no, like waiking into dining hall in dirty clothes. Client construction manager fired him on the spot and out within two hours and on a bus home. No flight.
For those that lived on a farm like me or worked for a living and got dusty/dirty it was a get your dirty chit off when you enter some one's home. Dirt stays at the door, it does not enter the home or kitchen.
A structured respect thing. I think if you are at the farm and sat at my mom's table with a hat on.........no din din for you sucka, clean hat or not!

Clean hats I don't really care just looks odd to me personally due to the way I was brought up.
And ya not a world crisis issue...unless you are one of my parents.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a sign of respect and cleanliness from old school. Guy in camp was being a smart azz wearing cap in kitchen - big no no, like waiking into dining hall in dirty clothes. Client construction manager fired him on the spot and out within two hours and on a bus home. No flight.
For those that lived on a farm like me or worked for a living and got dusty/dirty it was a get your dirty chit off when you enter some one's home. Dirt stays at the door, it does not enter the home or kitchen.
A structured respect thing. I think if you are at the farm and sat at my mom's table with a hat on.........no din din for you sucka, clean hat or not!

Clean hats I don't really care just looks odd to me personally due to the way I was brought up.
And ya not a world crisis issue...unless you are one of my parents.

Yes I know how dusty your hat can get from a day in the field! Nothing like disking dry field with a tractor with no ac and a tail wind lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was simply trying to draw a parallel between not being taught as a kid to remove your hat and hand washing. When I was a kid I "might" get away with out washing my hands at the table, but since I was old enough to remember I would not even consider wearing my hat there. What made me think of the parralle i was in a camp once when a guy used a 30 year old out house, then ate a hot dog with out washing his hands. That same guy used to wear his hat at the table. i understand that social norms are changing and i accept that. I was simply saying that i don't recommend you shake hands with some one who probably has sh!t on his hands.
WTF.... So wearing your hat at the table equates to not washing your hands after you crap, this coming from a guy who's last name is brown...

Top Bottom