Harper??????

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only thing I don't like that harper has done is the free trade with china. We should be taxing the crap out of their products coming back, until they decide to start creating environmental regulations. I'm not a greenie by any stretch of the imagination, but they're gonna be the death of us all if they don't start to deal with this.

Don't you think the foreign worker program is total BS when it allows a mining company to hire 200 Chinese miners instead of even one of the hundreds of Canadian miners that applied. I'm not talking about the jobs that none of us seem to want, but high paying jobs that should be filled by Canadians who will spend the wages here in Canada supporting their families and this country.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are said Canadians union members? That makes a high paying job even higher.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if they aren't union the wage for that job is still a lot better than 7-Eleven or Tim Hortons.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don`t hav e to love Harper, just have the mental capacity to understand that your two other choices are Justin and Thomas........
If there ever was a better case of be careful what you wish for, i have have not run across it yet.....

On a side note,please show me a POOR third world economy that gives two fast F%$*S about it`s enviroment.........It takes money to have a nice enviroment...........!!!!

I agree but its about time people stop treating China like a poor third world country... i think its safe to say they are a new super power with unlimited cash resources... Its time China is treated to the same expectations as the modern world... THe fact that China demands to be treated as an emerging economy just goes to help them get even richer... theres only so much money in the world... if someone's making it someone else is loosing it... anyhow just my two cents

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if they aren't union the wage for that job is still a lot better than 7-Eleven or Tim Hortons.

Agreed, mining jobs are well paying and sought after... they are the types of jobs canadain families can set routes by.. ask any small town that has seen a mining operation open it... everyone is happy happy happy... ok except if they wanna drain a lake called blue gold fish lake (sorry twisted humour)

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is an perfect example of voting the lesser of the 3 evils IMO. I dont find anyone an inspiration/honest to say yup he/she has my vote. But then again NDP would never get my vote so it is the lesser of two evils.

There are a few places that come to mind from what I have personally experienced such as Ecuador and Chile. They are behind western standards but very proactive in their environment. A few years ago I was able to secure 3 used tractors from Canada and was willing to pay for the freight to Ecuador to help some poor farmers. Unfortunately they would not allow tractors older than 15 years old to be imported due to emission regulations. $hit I bet half the tractors used in Canada are 15 years old.

You don`t hav e to love Harper, just have the mental capacity to understand that your two other choices are Justin and Thomas........
If there ever was a better case of be careful what you wish for, i have have not run across it yet.....

On a side note,please show me a POOR third world economy that gives two fast F%$*S about it`s enviroment.........It takes money to have a nice enviroment...........!!!!

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't you think the foreign worker program is total BS when it allows a mining company to hire 200 Chinese miners instead of even one of the hundreds of Canadian miners that applied. I'm not talking about the jobs that none of us seem to want, but high paying jobs that should be filled by Canadians who will spend the wages here in Canada supporting their families and this country.

So foreign workers should only be allowed to come over and take low paying jobs? You want them packing your food for $12/h but if they make your power for $24/h that's okay?

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So foreign workers should only be allowed to come over and take low paying jobs? You want them packing your food for $12/h but if they make your power for $24/h that's okay?

You are completely missing the point. This program allows a company to make up some BS "musts" on their job postings that are purposely used to exclude Canadian citizens from getting the job. The reason foreigners get into the lower paying jobs is because nobody wants them and thus the program in this case is doing what it is supposed to. When a corporation uses the program to leave hundreds of Canadians unemployed who want to work, so that said corporation can pay half the wages, that is absolute BS.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are completely missing the point. This program allows a company to make up some BS "musts" on their job postings that are purposely used to exclude Canadian citizens from getting the job. The reason foreigners get into the lower paying jobs is because nobody wants them and thus the program in this case is doing what it is supposed to. When a corporation uses the program to leave hundreds of Canadians unemployed who want to work, so that said corporation can pay half the wages, that is absolute BS.

So if you had a company you would rather pay unskilled laborers $24 over $12? Even if the company offered them $12 they would either A. Reject it or B. Much more dangerously start a union and end up getting paid $30.

If you don't like what they're doing start your own mining company and pay all your employees $24 and see how long you can compete for.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if you had a company you would rather pay unskilled laborers $24 over $12? Even if the company offered them $12 they would either A. Reject it or B. Much more dangerously start a union and end up getting paid $30.

If you don't like what they're doing start your own mining company and pay all your employees $24 and see how long you can compete for.

Unskilled, where did that come from????? And yes if I owned the mine I would employ "skilled" Canadian miners before I made up some BS on the Job Posting to exclude them so I could import foreigners into this country to take all that money back to China to support their families and their economy over there.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unskilled, where did that come from????? And yes if I owned the mine I would employ "skilled" Canadian miners before I made up some BS on the Job Posting to exclude them so I could import foreigners into this country to take all that money back to China to support their families and their economy over there.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to drive a rock truck or loader.

Exactly why they're running the mine and you are not.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to drive a rock truck or loader.

Exactly why they're running the mine and you are not.

Thanks for your valuable input, you've made some monumentous contributions to the discussion :rolleyes:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Now that the infamous oneye has been given the boot, a topic like this can go on for 6 pages with a fairly intelligent discussion. Amazing isn't it!

I find it interesting when workers and more importantly union workers talk about the bottom end of the wage scale. We have heard people stating that working for $12/hr (or there about) is too low a wage to raise a family, own a house, or have a decent standard of living. The low end jobs were never supposed to be for that role. They were "second income" jobs from the get-go. To many bleeding hearts want the lower income earner to make more money (a lofty goal?) but the fact is you can't run a successful business in that manner. The immigrant workers at Tim's (for an example) share housing and transportation, penny pinch (oops, need a new term as there are no pennies anymore), and actually look forward to getting ahead and know they can get ahead. I can see some of them emerging as owners as they have the will to work and the will to get ahead.

As it was said before, too many Canadian workers are insisting on the lifestyle of mom and dad and not willing to walk the miles to get there. It isn't the fault of the free enterprise system that today's mom and dad have to work two jobs to make ends meet. It is the "I want it now attitude" that drives this scenario. How many of today's families have their material items paid for? Mortgages for 30-40 years, vehicle payments, hot-tub on credit, big screen on credit, furniture on credit, toys (boats, trailers, sleds, quads, etc.) on credit, and the credit cards maxed?

The unions just keep pushing for higher wages and more benefits. As an example, the Aides in the health care system (you know the ones that make the beds, change the diapers, feed the patients, etc.) think they should be paid like an RN). No wonder the Canadian economy has to find a different way.

The bottom line is: if you want more money get more education! (and for those that can't think outside the box, that doesn't always mean going to school). If you are a lowly haul truck operator at a mine and want more money, start training as an operator of another piece of equipment.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Doug.

I'm a auto tech. Have 30 g plus in tools. Went to school ( 4 years of being broker than ever ) and still get more training

Buddy is an equipment operator. No school , no tools , free truck. Ect.

I make 1/3 less than he does. Makes me sick.

Just stupid and no wonder y no kids go to get a trade or a edjamucation after school. Don't have too.

sent from my HTC while working

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The unions just keep pushing for higher wages and more benefits. As an example, the Aides in the health care system (you know the ones that make the beds, change the diapers, feed the patients, etc.) think they should be paid like an RN). No wonder the Canadian economy has to find a different way.

My wife works her azz off as a Nurse and has just been laid off with this USELESS woman at the helm. She spent plenty on school for her wages she gets. The ladies who work as PCA's and or Aides work their azzes off as well and trust me, would you want someone making minimum wages aiding your mother/father or even us when it comes time? NO, why? because they wouldnt give 2 FKS about taking proper care of them/us. So I dissagree with you on this, though NO they def dont deserve an RN's wage they DO however deserve a reasonable wage. You go change an adults shitty diaper etc, dont think so....

Also educaton over real life experience can go get fked imho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My mom is a nurses aide. She works night shift with several foreign workers. One RN is foreign. Recently, all the positions were basically terminated and people had to re- apply for their positions. At the end, my mom wound up with even less shifts and all the foreigns got more. They all have other jobs and come do night shifts to sleep, leaving your grandma with shitty pants all night. More often than not, they go "home" to a residence where several generations all live together. No wonder they can make it work, they are getting paid 18 hours plus a day, each.

Go to Surrey, BC if you want to see it in action. They buy an old house and build what seems to be a beautiful mansion when it is actually an apartment building with 27 people living there with no additional taxes.

I'm not saying it's always like this, but it DOES happen, and it happens more than we think. And we are letting it happen. When will our government tighten up the borders and treat our elderly on the same level as immigrants who refuse to embrace our language and culture?

Someone should invite Hon. Stephen Harper to join SnM.

SnM for PM! Lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its no secret that immigrants are willing to sacrifice more luxuries to make a living with less debt. They do what they have to to survive. Todays domestic youth could learn from that.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow so many good points hard to comment on each of them. The bottom line is that the current "non" skilled jobs are too lucrative and when one compares a guy working in Ft Mac driving truck vs an RN that has to go to school, get student loans and then we put our lives into their hands gets paid less - something is wrong here. Dont get me wrong, great for a guy to get a good pay cheque but this is not sustainable in the long term hence the reason employers are bringing in foreign workers which I hate seeing. We need to get back to basics with jobs paying for what they are worth and create an incentive for people to excel either by more eduction, leadership and time at the job.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top Bottom