doo we want China's smart cities in Canada?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doo u want to see China's smart cities in Canada? i wonder why china is enslaving the Uyghur's? what happened to the millions of people missing in Wuhan, anyone believe they all died from the Wuhan virus? may never know as all the bodies were burned! do we want huawei to run facial and licence plate recognition all over Canada? u doo know they are a wing of the Chinese Communist guberment.

In China, Smart Cities or Surveillance Cities?

The country is home to half of the smart cities projects worldwide – and people disagree over whether it’s a cause for concern.

By Matthew Keegan, ContributorJan. 31, 2020, at 8:30 a.m.

More

HONG KONG — IMAGINE A city where you can take a driverless bus to an unmanned supermarket or enter a hotel room using a facial recognition system – a place with a brain controlled by artificial intelligence, where almost all of the infrastructure and everyone in the city is monitored and linked to some kind of software.

[ READ:
What Makes a City Smart? ]
This is not some dystopian vision of the future or a scene from a new sci-fi movie. In fact, in China, it's already happening. Located about 60 miles south of China's capital Beijing is Xiongan New Area. This former backwater is being transformed into a new high-tech smart city. Built entirely from scratch, it's one that could provide a model not only for new cities in China, but in other parts of the world. Envisioned as China's "city of the future," Xiongan's basic infrastructure is expected to be completed by 2022 and will have a population of 5 million.

Of the 1,000 smart city projects that are currently being built worldwide, China is home to half of them. Given that the smart city initiatives involve collecting large amounts of personal data, some experts are raising concerns over what's driving China's smart city boom and what the projects really mean for its citizens.

Safest Cities in America

View All 12 Slides

China argues it's pragmatic for it to create smart cities: The government claims it is fully engaged in implementing smart city initiatives as a way to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of its rapidly growing cities, providing citizens with improvements in transportation, communication, environmental management and crime prevention.

"China is experiencing a large-scale and fast urbanization process, which requires more modern, data-based and intelligent social governance," says Peng Sen, president of the China Society of Economic Reform, a prominent Beijing-based government think-tank.

The commitment to smart cities was firmly established by the Chinese government in its 12th Five-Year Plan issued in 2011. In the years since, Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Xi'an, Yinchuan and Hangzhou have become notable examples of older urban areas that have received smart city makeovers.

In Hangzhou, a city in East China with a population of 9.47 million, a smart city system designed by Chinese tech giant Alibaba called "City Brain" has been in use since 2016. Essentially, City Brain is an artificial intelligence system that uses big data and big computing power to improve and fix traffic problems.

By monitoring every vehicle in the city, City Brain has reportedly already helped reduce traffic jams by 15%. Its creators claim it can optimize traffic for the entire city, predict where traffic jams will occur and even prevent traffic accidents by instituting preemptive traffic control and policing.

RELATED CONTENT

Debate Swirls Over Smart City Data

But while tech companies, authorities and city planners are all quick to praise the benefits of smart city initiatives, critics warn many citizens are woefully unaware of the impact that data collection systems could have on personal privacy.

"Smart cities are, above all, surveillance cities that enable close monitoring and management of large populations," says Vincent Mosco, a smart city expert and author of "The Smart City in a Digital World." "As a leader in smart city systems, China is subjecting its citizens to greater routine surveillance than citizens have experienced at any time in history. Sensors are now embedded throughout the urban infrastructure, in everyday home appliances, and in the devices citizens carry. These collect data 24/7 with or without the awareness and approval of citizens."

Eva Blum-Dumontet, senior research officer at Privacy International, a United Kingdom-based charity that defends and promotes the right to privacy across the world, has similar concerns.

"The collection of data without proper data protection in place means you create a power imbalance between the government that collects the data and the citizens whose data are collected," she says. "We think it's time for citizens to be reclaiming smart cities so we can have cities built for citizens and not to surveil citizens or exploit them for profit and power."

Some argue that Chinese citizens are not as bothered by these concerns as their counterparts in the West. At a panel discussion in Beijing last year, for example, Robin Li, the CEO of China's biggest search engine Baidu, said Chinese citizens are more willing to trade privacy for stability.

"I think Chinese people are more open or less sensitive about the privacy issue," Li said. "If they are able to trade privacy for convenience, for safety, for efficiency, in a lot of cases they're willing to do that."

His comments sparked a furious online backlash as Chinese netizens took to the popular microblog platform Weibo and harshly criticised him for making such a statement. The reaction suggested Chinese citizens care more about their privacy rights than previously assumed.

Mosco, the privacy expert, says that surveillance is more pervasive in China because the government insists on imposing it throughout the country and in stopping any resistance in discussing the matter with Chinese citizens. However, his research indicates that citizens in China are no more likely than those in other nations to trade privacy for security.

[ MORE:
China, Russia Spreading Surveillance Methods Around the World ]
"I have learned that people in China resent persistent and pervasive surveillance and try to resist in small, individual ways such as by using devices that are more difficult to monitor," he says.

Fan Yang, a privacy expert specializing in Chinese smart cities, believes that smart cities are more or less just a marketing pitch that in reality are a trap to collect more data that mostly benefits authorities and tech companies.

"They always talk about how smart cities will be used for public good to solve different urban problems," Yang says. "However, for citizens, these urban problems like air pollution, smog and traffic jams still exist. Even after smart city initiatives are implemented, nothing much changes that ordinary citizens can benefit from."

"The benefit from smart cities clearly goes to the authorities who are able to use the promise of the modern, high-tech city to extend and deepen surveillance," he says. "It also goes to the big tech companies who profit first from building the smart city infrastructure and secondly by commodifying the entire smart city space. Citizens gain some operational efficiency but at great cost to their liberty."

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A smart City at the last place on the planet I wouldn't want to be. Absolutely zero privacy and you will be bathed EMF radiation 24/7 even more than we are now. Of course later on will come the loss of all freedom.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our window is rapidly closing to prevent China from becoming the controller of global destiny, and it may already be too late. If you think China isn't already watching citizens in other nations such as Canada, you're wrong. China already has the technology to scan every web page on the internet, I'm sure this thread will be viewed by the Chinese government, if we write enough stuff about China I'm sure it'll even be viewed by a real person.

China already requires it's citizen to have a facial recognition scan completed when registering for cellular service, so that the government can track and "protect" it's citizens online. Essentially there is no anonymity online in China anymore, and if you speak out against the CCP online they can track you down and detain you for whatever charge they see fit. China also has huge internment camps to send these "instigators" to. There's a reason protesters were fighting so violently in Hong-Kong, because there is no such thing as freedom in communist China.

Supposedly Trudeau is supposed to implement tariffs on products imported into Canada from nations that don't have a similar level of environmental regulation as Canada. If this move is genuine and un-biased it could help reduce the import of products from China, and favor those from our western counterparts. But in typical Trudeau fashion I believe China will be given a giant exemption from that tariff.

At some point it needs to come down to us as consumers to choose products based on where they are made, just remember ABC, anywhere but China.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what i understand, these so called re-education centers are where the ughars are going, and from there they go to "Work Camps", never to be heard from again. and Tru-d is enamoured with this s--t hole!

people want stuff ultra cheap, don't care if they eventually lose there jobs, etc, just cheap! think it is better to buy a quality product once instead of buying the same cheap chinese junk every month.

Last edited:

Crustyolddude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To answer your question. Do we want smart city in Canada? For me, No. I am Rural. I do my best to stay away from big cities. I follow KISS formula. I like simple, uncomplicated answers. The less variables the better. Complicated societies increase stress. Stress leads to diseases like cancers, other health issues. Noticed cancer (many types of cancers) is leading cause of death in North America. This is why I enjoy sledding. It’s simple, fun, few rules and regulation. In smart city, I don’t think we will be sledding........

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To answer your question. Do we want smart city in Canada? For me, No. I am Rural. I do my best to stay away from big cities. I follow KISS formula. I like simple, uncomplicated answers. The less variables the better. Complicated societies increase stress. Stress leads to diseases like cancers, other health issues. Noticed cancer (many types of cancers) is leading cause of death in North America. This is why I enjoy sledding. It’s simple, fun, few rules and regulation. In smart city, I don’t think we will be sledding........
Pay close attention to the land use bylaws in your RM/county. They are changing them to slowly force people into cities. Also pricing people out of rural areas is a real concern these days.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the Chinese are floating a surveillance balloon over North America now and apparently no one cares. Try that in China and see what happens

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol, from what they are proposing it sure does, i wonder how much they are not telling us!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the Chinese are floating a surveillance balloon over North America now and apparently no one cares. Try that in China and see what happens
supposed to be a weather balloon that got away!! Japan did float a few of those across the Pacific back in WW2 with incendiary devises, don't think much happened then either. MSM will make a Mtn. out of this nothing burger i'm sure. i think the Chinese have satellites that can give them a few thousand times more info than a wayward wind blown balloon! i wonder if there are Chinese pilots in the balloon, i here they can be rather tiny? bumbling Joe should use his star wars tech to burn it out of the sky!

haha, i see Canada is getting involved? lol, Tru-d will give XPing a few stern words i'm sure ( what a buffoon Tru-d is)

Last edited:

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pay close attention to the land use bylaws in your RM/county. They are changing them to slowly force people into cities. Also pricing people out of rural areas is a real concern these days.
I just checked yesterday for my county, nothing as of yet

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a conspiracy theory though...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1675457140105.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675457140105.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 83

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a conspiracy theory though...
maybe biological weapon of mass destruction could be a new strain of Aviation Flu, likely why US or Canada have not shot it down?

Top Bottom