Fact or Fiction, trailer ball receivers

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup u will get a ticket if u leave it in but i dont care bring it on another stupid rule more worried about a stupid hitch sticking out then finding the bast---- that steal chitt for a living :rant::rant::rant::rant:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a truck come in the other day who got nailed right on the receiver(Shank) and it folded the frame rails up like a noodle.ALL the energy goes to one area and isn't distriputed throughout the vehicle..And i have bashed my shins on a few of them walking behind a truck i am working on .I take mine out ,,,,

ok so let me ask this question if a vehicle get hits from the rear and it impacts the bumper the whole 1/4 inch that it take to hit my receiver
and in turn does the same damage what difference does it make

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen a cop walk around a truck and hit his shins once funniest thing I ever saw.Boy was he mad.I heard it was against the law to but never been hassled.Let see some documentation.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a cop in Leduc and he told me that it is not illigal. I leave mine in the truck at all times and have never had any issues.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm...whod'a thunk it. I've never had an issue and I ALWAYS keep one of the hitches installed....

Good to know....:confused:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
ok so let me ask this question if a vehicle get hits from the rear and it impacts the bumper the whole 1/4 inch that it take to hit my receiver
and in turn does the same damage what difference does it make

That is just my experience with a few.Every crash is different. I agree that there are more important things that police need to worry about.

Last edited:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got pulled over just outside of Golden about 5 years ago, pulling a 28' 5th wheel. I still had my receiver in, the cop told me to pull it out or he could give me a $100 ticket. Not sure what the point was when I had a trailer on behind me, but I ended up with $600 worth of tickets as it was, so I wasn't going to argue,I just pulled it out.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I got pulled over just outside of Golden about 5 years ago, pulling a 28' 5th wheel. I still had my receiver in, the cop told me to pull it out or he could give me a $100 ticket. Not sure what the point was when I had a trailer on behind me, but I ended up with $600 worth of tickets as it was, so I wasn't going to argue,I just pulled it out.

thats brutal, esp. when you have a fifth wheel behind.They must have been bored that day:beer:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And cops wonder why most people think of them as dicks right away. No one remembers the cop who helped or solved the crime, they remember getting a stupid ticket for a hitch.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My receiver is in all the time also but on 2 occasions the past 5 yrs when I was pulled over for speeding the cop told me "you know I can charge you for having that receiver in but I won't today just a verbal warning." I never argued as I didn't need another ticket but wondered when driving away if they were serious...After reading this forum I'm guessing they were.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what i understand it is not a provincial by law but municipal if the municipality chooses to enforce it but i have yet to have found a bylaw with literature in regards to the hitch thing

i will leave mine in too great for the idiot following tooo close and hits you

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that they are stupid and piss me off, most of the times I have been stopped was because of stupid stuff, they created the names they get....

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless someone chimes in before me I will try to post up some literature tomorrow. A family member works in the detachment here and she is going to find out for me exactly what the law states or doesn't state. Another family member my brotherinlaw is RCMP corp. but he is in BC so I will try to find info for Ab only for the time being.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking to a cop in Leduc and he told me that it is not illigal. I leave mine in the truck at all times and have never had any issues.

I think the cops ok.
Did you ask one of the bylaw ones?
This summer I unhooked my toyhauler went for some propane.
When I returned the bylaw parked behind my trailer.
Had a fit about trailer parked not hooked up.
I bet they we give a ticket for reciever still on the truck.

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

gotta know what were the $600 in tickets for:eek:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gotta know what were the $600 in tickets for:eek:

failing to obey a traffic sign (didn't stop at the mandatory brake check for vehicles over 4500kg), Battery in breakaway was missing, I just had the safety chains hooked together and run through the bottom of the 5th wheel hitch, didn't have the registration papers for my trailer, and believe it or not I got a $50 ticket for not having spare fuses with me. I had 4 sleds on the trailer, but my truck was registered and insured commercial, so he kinda let me have it. It also cost us a night in Golden because it was after hours, and I couldn't get a battery for the breakaway until morning, and I had to stop at the scale house to prove I got it. I admit, most of it was my fault, but the cop was a total pr$#k. He must have had his mind made up that he was going to flex some muscle before he even pulled me over.

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
failing to obey a traffic sign (didn't stop at the mandatory brake check for vehicles over 4500kg), battery in breakaway was missing, i just had the safety chains hooked together and run through the bottom of the 5th wheel hitch, didn't have the registration papers for my trailer, and believe it or not i got a $50 ticket for not having spare fuses with me. I had 4 sleds on the trailer, but my truck was registered and insured commercial, so he kinda let me have it. It also cost us a night in golden because it was after hours, and i couldn't get a battery for the breakaway until morning, and i had to stop at the scale house to prove i got it. I admit, most of it was my fault, but the cop was a total pr$#k. He must have had his mind made up that he was going to flex some muscle before he even pulled me over.

ouch!

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was told it is a DOT Thing, I had a buddy that was in GP and some idiot pulled into the parking stall behind him and hit his truck, They wrote him a note and put in on his vehicle chewing him out for wrecking his truck, and that she was going to press charges, (stating the law about hitches) he stopped at the Cop Shop and gave them the note explained what happened and they said that there was nothing she could do.
I have drove for 10 years with a hitch in and never ever have been questioned and for 3.5 of those years I had to drive accross the scales in Whitecourt every day, never once mentioned. I would like to see an literature that states other wise
Cya

Top Bottom