Do's and don'ts of mountain riding

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if ya got to revy to ride do dance with mittens at the bar's...........

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Ride clean! Leave the booze and "other" till the end of the day when the sleds are on the trailer!:)

WOW... all the way to post #12 before the booze came up.....

Impressive....

Always let someone know where your going and an approximate return time....

Never piss into the wind......

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never climb 2 at a time.

Dont mean to hijack here but ive done this when the hill is already a bit beat up ??? Is it still a no no when its like say in the 1st drop in behind lucille (mcbride) or just on freshdays & huge climbs.:confused:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont mean to hijack here but ive done this when the hill is already a bit beat up ??? Is it still a no no when its like say in the 1st drop in behind lucille (mcbride) or just on freshdays & huge climbs.:confused:

ya but even if its beat up a bit the hill can still slide........... Kind of a no brainer......... Its the extra weight of the stuck sled and the noise from the other ect........ That will make it slide...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its not a concrete rule. you STILL need to be able to read the conditions and the teerrain. there are situations where you can come help your buddy. but chances are it will be on a mellow slope. but climbing 2 at a time si still dangerous. seen a good pile up last year from that

wiffler79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's just like skiing if you can't go past the bunny hill don't go any higher!!!

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya but even if its beat up a bit the hill can still slide........... Kind of a no brainer......... Its the extra weight of the stuck sled and the noise from the other ect........ That will make it slide...

In the AST course I'm pretty sure they confirmed sound from a two stroke engine can't trigger an avalanche.

I thought the reason you don't double ride a hill or ride when one person is stuck because if an avalanche triggers both people are fawked. Especially the guy standing there trying to get his sled unstuck.

Back on-topic:

Save reverse for the trail and loading/unloading, you will only get more stuck.

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the AST course I'm pretty sure they confirmed sound from a two stroke engine can't trigger an avalanche.

I thought the reason you don't double ride a hill or ride when one person is stuck because if an avalanche triggers both people are fawked. Especially the guy standing there trying to get his sled unstuck.

Back on-topic:

Save reverse for the trail and loading/unloading, you will only get more stuck.

Now that is funny my wifes signal to get my atention when she is stuck is a 30 foot rooster out the front of her sled!

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
always show off in the parking lot and try to be the hero hahaha it gives me something to laught at :d:d:d:d

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pack dry gloves (extra pair) cause when the first one's get wet :eek: it's a cold ride out or a cold night staying. And if you got GPS take it :d

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
When crossing Avy chutes, only one rider at a time with a spotter in a safe place in case a slide does come down.
When riding powder make sure you always stop in a track, if required make a loop and then stop in your own track.
If you drop down into a bowl and cannot climb back out wait until around sunset when the snow starts to setup before trying to climb back out again.
Invest in a SPOT or like and learn how to use it and ensure your contacts are also aware of what will happen if you have to push the button.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
always show off in the parking lot and try to be the hero hahaha it gives me something to laught at :d:d:d:d

Hahahaha... My one brother(not polarisftw) kept doing that, we are both young bucks and we didn't even budge the fawking thing. I was like okay, you gotta stop reversing yourself into these graves. Now her purposely doing that, that's fawked up.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
helicopters

-if they are searching for someone they may fly over you and do a circle waiting for a signal, if you did not call for the heli dont wave at them just stay put or point in the direction if you know where the call came from...

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always listen to people that know and don't make rude remarks when you don't like what you heard. Experiance is an asset and if your NEW you ain't got it. Some newbie's on here have made that mistake.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Dont mean to hijack here but ive done this when the hill is already a bit beat up ??? Is it still a no no when its like say in the 1st drop in behind lucille (mcbride) or just on freshdays & huge climbs.:confused:

Always "one on the slope" no matter what......there are guys who don't heed it but if you want to live and see your kids you had better believe.

A few years back, a hill was pretty beat up (a group of 8 or 9 had been riding it pretty much all day) and a fellow went up for the last ride of the day, cut on top of two rocks and the beat up slope released killing him. RIP....

If there had of been more riders on the slope....you get the picture!

whickey

Reaction score
Only half the story in the hot tub at night is true, the rest is just good telling ability.

But a good one is pratice using your beacon everyday before you go up. It only takes 10 min for you to do it. And no you don't look like a looser you look like someone who is going to get me out if I need you.

Top Bottom