Do's and don'ts of mountain riding

jeremy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carry your beacon, shovel and probe and know how to use them.

Invest in good gear. If your riding partner is sporting a plastic garden shovel and a probe bought at princess auto, give him your gear, cause it's the equipment saving your azz

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When riding from area to area, our rule is that you are responsible for the guy behind you. This avoids losing guys who break down or get stuck when wandering off the trail to take a pull through some irrisistable fluffy stuff. This is not only a safety thing but saves valuable riding time as too often we have sent back a scout to look for a lost sledder.

Simply keep looking back and if the guy behind is out of sight, stop and wait. It is a chain reaction to the front of the group.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you and your group stop somewhere on the trail up, don't block the entire trail!! pull over to the side and leave ample room for others to pass you. and be sure to pull over in a safe area - ie. not an avalanche area, and not on a corner.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you got some good walkie talkies bring them.....There great incase you get seperated from your group.....Just mention to everyone that if a rider is missing turn off the sleds and try to get into communication.

Saved me a few times

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great tip !!! I don't think this is taken seriously enough. Nobody rides a sled after drinking better than he did before. Nobody. I was amazed with the amount of booze and weed I saw at the Cabin on Boulder last season.

Don't just wait till the sled are in the trailer. Wait till home or Hotel.:)

it's good info forsure but there really is nothing wrong with having a beer or two out on the ride as long as you dont go out like its the bar and getting pissed! the group I ride with always will have a beer or two and some of them even smoke joints out there and we have never ever been in an accident or been near to causing it! Nothing wrong with having a beer or a joint on the trail just dont go abusing and go out there with the intentions to get fawked up and go riding cause that is not cool!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you got some good walkie talkies bring them.....There great incase you get seperated from your group.....Just mention to everyone that if a rider is missing turn off the sleds and try to get into communication.

Saved me a few times
good post dez, them little radios are great tools. when you do get separated make sure everyone knows to get to a high point and then try establishing communication with the lost party. the FRS/GMRS radios will have excellent range from the top of the mountain. we make sure everyone has their radios set to the same channel before we head out.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do not follow some one DOWN into a spot if you are unsure if you can get back out.

CTWilly

Reaction score
Stay with your group. Don't be the idiot that takes off on your buddies to try another bowl. Every time we are out there's always that lone rider that pulls up asking if we seen "2 guys go by riding black whatevers?" And don't go alone. There's always some guy that shows up with nobody to ride with.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay with your group. Don't be the idiot that takes off on your buddies to try another bowl. Every time we are out there's always that lone rider that pulls up asking if we seen "2 guys go by riding black whatevers?" And don't go alone. There's always some guy that shows up with nobody to ride with.

I think it's okay if you go and try to hook up with people at the hill. Be sure you have all the equipment, know how to use it, taken the training and don't be an idiot.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
our group has a rule about comfort level. if your not comfortable going into an area no one goes. no sense pressuring someone into it. so if your new and riding with experienced guys make sure they are going to take the time to teach you without killing you. that being said i learned by being pushed to follow others.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
our group has a rule about comfort level. if your not comfortable going into an area no one goes. no sense pressuring someone into it. so if your new and riding with experienced guys make sure they are going to take the time to teach you without killing you. that being said i learned by being pushed to follow others.

our group does that as well maxwell and has worked very well for us no one ever rides out of there comfort zone and everyone has a great time!

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your new to the area exploer in small incraments from the cabin,dont just head off in on direction following some ones tracks,it help you get to no the area when tryin to get back,plus you dont go gettin in trouble were you have no idea were you are.

motomike450r

Reaction score

Me being the new guy in my group, they know I will follow(try) where ever they go. They understand they are helping me get unstuck so this helps the leader of the group decide where to go. and I appriciate this.:beer::beer::d

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You guys are responsible!!! When I went my buddies are just like "pussy, climb that, do you have a vagay" and i would just get stuck. I need to find a group like yours.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL!!!!

well trust me we do still egg each other on to challenges. and ya the words pussy and vagina do come up quite often. but they are always safe challenges anyways

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I think you guys pretty well covered all the important do's and don'ts of mountain riding!! I don't think this one was covered though....last season our group arrived into a bowl last winter only to find about a half dozen back packs with all the avalanche gear attached left behind. We peeked into the next bowl further down and lo and behold there was the half dozen sledders tracking up the next bowl without any safety gear!! Needless to say we high tailed her out of there pretty fast. Couldn't believe it, and this just goes to show you that there is no cure for stupid!!:nono:

Top Bottom