Do's and don'ts of mountain riding

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If travel as a group stay as a group as a leader of the pack you go as far as your weakest rider.Never let someone talk you in to something you can't handle make it a postive ride not a negtive ride

shakey

Reaction score
boy its people like you that thinks no harm, no foul. some day you or someone you know will be affected by sombody with the same frame of thought you posted,

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh give it a rest, don't be throwing stones in a glass house. unless you are as pure as the driven snow.

seems funny the ones doing all the preaching, standing on soap boxes, are usually the ones breaking the rules. jimmy and tammy fay, or are you another jimmy swagger. give me a break.

Last edited:

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you sober and holy riders better hope a half pissed old fart doesn't find you stranded!! I hear a banjo!!
no need to bash, it will bite you!!

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if i was to ride up to you and your lost and i have had a few if you would want my help? Or would that go against your beliefs?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea, he may be a little shakey at elevation.....

friggin' imdoo'n

elevation, usually takes no more than the tail gate of the truck to get my heart pumping. sheeet seems like everyone is trying to be the first to get on the old soap box, professing to be better than the next guy, he//, i was just kidding in the first place. i guess i need another wobbly pop.

i'll try to be better.:beer:

friggin almost out of cold ones.

Boblikesfun

Reaction score
All you sober and holy riders better hope a half pissed old fart doesn't find you stranded!! I hear a banjo!!
no need to bash, it will bite you!!

It is very possible for a half pissed sledder to help someone out. In fact it has happened to me. I have also helped impaired sledders that wouldn't have been in the jam they were in had they used better judgement. The same guy could be much more helpful to himself and others if he was sober. Its that simple. Sledding takes a high level of skill and judgement. Some might agrue as much or more than driving a car. That skill and judgement is impared after drinking. 20 years ago drunk driving was a lot more "acceptable generally" than it is today. Its time our sport came out of the dark ages.

It has nothing to do with "my beliefs". I think we all "believe" that drunk sledding is less safe than sober sledding. I think the original person who brought this up in the thread was right. Wait till the sleds are put away. Then go nuts.

In the mean time I will both help and receive help from people who break the rules and ride drunk. That being said lets all smile and go find some powder.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is very possible for a half pissed sledder to help someone out. In fact it has happened to me. I have also helped impaired sledders that wouldn't have been in the jam they were in had they used better judgement. The same guy could be much more helpful to himself and others if he was sober. Its that simple. Sledding takes a high level of skill and judgement. Some might agrue as much or more than driving a car. That skill and judgement is impared after drinking. 20 years ago drunk driving was a lot more "acceptable generally" than it is today. Its time our sport came out of the dark ages.

It has nothing to do with "my beliefs". I think we all "believe" that drunk sledding is less safe than sober sledding. I think the original person who brought this up in the thread was right. Wait till the sleds are put away. Then go nuts.

In the mean time I will both help and receive help from people who break the rules and ride drunk. That being said lets all smile and go find some powder.

You raise a lot of great points Bob, but theirs a difference to having a few and being out right drunk.

Back on topic.

Have the more experienced rider at the front and one at the back if a large group.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i think you may be reading more into this than what was posted. but whatever.

for the record, i do not condone drunk driving. is there a difference between beer and energy drinks. other than energy drinks are still legal.

Last edited:

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last season up on renshal i had to do first aid on young 20yr old the young kid had beer can about 8 of them tape to his helmet he tell me he thinks he broke his wrist as he waving it at me he has some blood his face from doing face plant on his hood .i was think to myself what dumb ass your weekend shot cause when he sober up hes going to be hurtn unit and he has another 35 km ride out. The good thing about it was my 17yr son was with me and could see that drinking and riding is just dumb thing to do.If you want drink
drink in motel if your their to ride ,ride with a clear head .The last thing you need is liquid courage

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this one got said.....but if you can try to ride with some experienced riders and listen to what they are telling you so we all can come home safely.:beer:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Took a while to really get going but I knew it would head south...

these threads always do...
said it before and I'll say it again.............

Lots of folks don't need beer to do stupid things and make bad decisions... least I have a friggin excuse..:eek:

friggin excuses...:d:beer:

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the slope by yourself, use gravity, don't fight it. All sleds want to come down, it's up to you (usually) to shape the snow and decide how gently that will happen.

Don't be scared of your shovel especially if your are by yourself for a bit while your buddies are working on some other newbie. Sometimes it saves everyone energy if you just level your sled, or fill your trench and cut your own road out instead of pulling and pulling, and....you get it. I can usually cut a road in front of me before my buddies even come over to help pull. They call my shovel excalibur. I try to do it quick enough that no one sees, then I deny ever being stuck and talk about that awesome area I just tracked up that I refuse to show them.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't read this yet..or maybe I just missed it. Be sure in taking up enough fuel for the day...find out snow conditions, how long the trail in is, and the group your riding with..some ride more then others. Once at the cabin if there is one I fill up and note how much fuel was used coming in, then you'll have an idea how much you need to get back out....I am one of those that will take a couple beer to the hill, one with lunch another coming back out at the end of the day...and boy does it taste good...And yes still sober enough to taste it.

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not even gonna join the drinking and riding pissing match of an arguement. its a go nowhere debate. but one thing i cant stress enough, especially since im still a rookie, is ask questions. theres no shame in not knowing, admit you dont know. then learn, there is lots of knowlegde out on the hills on any given day, and most everyone will be glad to edumacate you if your askin. even the most seasoned rider doesnt know it all, every day something new can be leared. so ask ask ask ask, and fricken ask if you dont know!!!

Top Bottom