Does anyone tow dead sleds?

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been ripping the Doo for almost 3 years now. It's kind of a rule in our group that we don't tow dead sleds with the Doos because the rear bumper won't take the load. Is this true? What have you guys seen?

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sweet, good to know. I don't mind replacing a bumper worst case scenario. I'm taking my 17 bro out for his first trip to the hills and we'll both be on Doos. Then I started thinking about broke down scenarios and if we could actually get a sled out.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been ripping the Doo for almost 3 years now. It's kind of a rule in our group that we don't tow dead sleds with the Doos because the rear bumper won't take the load. Is this true? What have you guys seen?

you can buy the heavy duty rear bumper from brp ten times thicker aluminum. the rear bumper on the doo is weak as long as its not a tough pull it might last a bit.

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have pulled lots out with doos if you wrap the rope around the bumper several times it puts the stress over a larger portion of the bumper

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been pulled by a skidoo lots. Works fine. Even dragged my polaris 900 out with an xp. Bumper works fine. Now I drive a skidoo. Haven't been pulled since.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tie the ski tip tight to the bumper ,ski will act as a shock when it flexs or now I use a ski bungee only for tow outs handle tight to bumper and hook around ski tip works great no whiplash..

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might look into the HD bumper in the future. Thanks boys.

The old XM is off warranty as of Dec 15th too! Besides the old iron I've owned, I've always traded or sold my sleds in before the warranty expired. Treading new ground here.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I always carry the snow bungee sled to sled version it really softens the blows on the bumps and hard hits saves both sleds

from the tow outs I've seen done I think that sled to sled bungee is the way to go, strap between the ski's on the "dead sled" and the snobungee to that and the rear bumper of the tow sled, awesome setup.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Because of the light bumper, we run the rope up through the bumper and along side of sled (beside bumper bolt on braces) and tie off to running board on each side.
Put the weight distribution on the sides of bumper and tunnel better.
We have never bent a bumper doing it this way.

Tow snowbugees are definately the answer as Maxwell stated.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might have to add her to the 'Keg. :thumbsup2:

I'm seriously running out of room in that damn thing. Mitts, inflatable snowshoes, spare T motion parts, tools etc etc.

Last edited:

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best spot for towing is a rope on each side of the sled, strung through the rear hole of the running board, right where the bolt is for the drop bracket. Then I run them back through a small looped rope that is on the bumper, keeps the tow ropes up and out of the way. Weight is distributed evenly and that's the strongest place at the rear, short of having that bungee cord of course, then the stock bumper would handle a sled....Sherm

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that depends,, if ur a broke azz ski bum, you might just leave your chit up on the mountain....

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last season my steering post snapped off. It was at this point I came to realize how much I like having handlebars that are firmly attached to said post. We tried towing it but without that post I had no leverage to counteract the sleds side to side movement. Well after only about 6 or 8 feet it starts to roll over and even with my weight leaning as far as I could hanging on to my gas cap for a hand hold with one hand and trying to give it throttle with the other! Being as there was fairly deep fresh no way one sled could tow out my dead sled. So we tried this: backed up my cuz's 163 to my front bumper and lashed them together tight. Then in front of him we hooked up a turbo cat using a sno bunjee. I doubled with a buddy and we followed them out towing my sled... Wow I couldn't believe how awesome that worked! My sled followed them like a lost puppy. And with the sno bunjee between them they said it takes out all the jerks and bumps usually associated with towing.

Top Bottom