Distracted driving

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our son just got his licence. Was really impressed he gets in his jeep turns his phone off and puts it in the glovebox.
Says nobody needs to bother me while I'm driving ill get back to them when I'm done.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my best friend's 19 year old son was killed 2 months ago plus 2 elderly people in the other car. The driver survived but has to live with the guilt all his life for texting and driving. We are taking my friend fishing this weekend starting tomorrow just to help him heal and put a smile on his face.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just read drinking and driving rates and convictions are up despite extra enforcement. Nothing's going to change no matter what Bylaws and laws are in place.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Eclipse, I guess if they keep handing them out over and over, and in my case persistently no matter what is happening eventually people a more people will be aware of the consequence, much like seatbelts, nobody wore them 10-20 years ago, but the vast majority wear them now, myself included

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, I know, as soon as the light was turning green you were going to hang up the phone and continue on your way.

A good friend was killed 2 summers ago by a "distracted driver". No excuse. If your driving, leave the phone alone. If you have to answer, use hands free.
Learn to read. He wasn't talking on the phone, he looked at it. What he did is peanuts if you're going to talk about distracted driving. Sitting at a red light looking at your phone doesn't endanger anyone. Good grief you people.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear Eclipse, I guess if they keep handing them out over and over, and in my case persistently no matter what is happening eventually people a more people will be aware of the consequence, much like seatbelts, nobody wore them 10-20 years ago, but the vast majority wear them now, myself included

I don't think so. Police hand out more and more speeding tickets every year. More and more photo radar Etc. as long as its just money no one will change there habits. Make it personal that's where people change. However taking people off the road for demerits etc etc doesn't pay the bills does it lol and they know that.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread has gone to shat, I believe it us up to "US" the people to tell someone when they need to pull their head out of their ass, problem is no one listens. Accidents happen without distraction easy enough. One caused by distraction, tiredness, dui, what ever the case may be should be on the head of the person who caused it. Are there murders and drugs and rapes yes and they are terrible and horrifying agreed, are many of these laws cash grabs yes. But talk to someone who has lost a person close to them and maybe dont talk to them instead listen to what they have to say and how it has affected their lives knowing that had the cell phone not been a factor their daughter would still be alive, had someone pulled over and gone to sleep instead of pushing on mom would still be here today. Fact of the matter is imo its ridiculous any of these laws need to be in place its all common sense stuff, we as people are stupid for not seeing that. Like climbing a chute and just before you enter the rocks you look to the left because you want to see whats going on over there and into the rocks you go. Is it " the rocks got in my way and shouldnt have been there" or " i was a dumba$$ and should have been focused on where i was going"

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The OPs point was that he WAS NOT MOVING when he looked at his phone. He did not endanger anyone. It is moving vehicles that are dangerous when one is texting, etc. The intent of the law was not to be busting people because they look at their phone while stopped. It was to reduce distracted driving while moving was it not? I find it ironic that people will criticize someone for looking at their phone while STOPPED, but will accept that cops are exempt from the law. You telling me cops need to be on their cell phone to do their job. Bulls&^t! They have radios for that. I've on multiple occasions seen cops on their phone while driving, but I guess they're so much better drivers and so much more attentive than the rest of us. Yeah right.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The OPs point was that he WAS NOT MOVING when he looked at his phone. He did not endanger anyone. It is moving vehicles that are dangerous when one is texting, etc. The intent of the law was not to be busting people because they look at their phone while stopped. It was to reduce distracted driving while moving was it not? I find it ironic that people will criticize someone for looking at their phone while STOPPED, but will accept that cops are exempt from the law. You telling me cops need to be on their cell phone to do their job. Bulls&^t! They have radios for that. I've on multiple occasions seen cops on their phone while driving, but I guess they're so much better drivers and so much more attentive than the rest of us. Yeah right.
Sounds more like you have a hard on for the cops and prefer to live by your version of the laws, rather than the actual laws.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love to f-with texting drivers. Cut them off or drive real close beside them and blast the horn causing them to sh/t there pants cause they don't know where I came from. Texting while driving is even more distracting than a lap nap! Drivers must stop texting. As to the original post looking at your phone while stopped at a red light is a little cheesy but you learned your lesson I bet.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love to f-with texting drivers. Cut them off or drive real close beside them and blast the horn causing them to sh/t there pants cause they don't know where I came from. Texting while driving is even more distracting than a lap nap! Drivers must stop texting. As to the original post looking at your phone while stopped at a red light is a little cheesy but you learned your lesson I bet.

Learned yes, but still cheesy

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prefered the days of no cell phones. Today people expect to be able to get ahold of you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Back in the good ole' days 12 hours to respond to a message on your home phone was acceptable.

Why are we expected to jump and run when a phone rings?

Soon as I can financially do so want a career where I dont require a cell phone, Absolutely sick of it. Bring back the land line party line, fax the managers after supper days!

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup sounds good until you or a family member are a cost of cleansing out the retards that can't put their phone away until they reach their destination
Js

Making more laws to coddle the stupid isn't going to fix it either. Friendly fire or collateral damage is inevitable. Deal with it.... And yes I have lost people because of their own or someone elses stupidity so spare me your rhetoric on the subject. If a few more morons bite the dust it might make the remainder pay attention. I don't even care about cell phones at this point, I mean this with anything.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why is the provincial government promoting distracted drivers, how about the friggin flashing highway signs on the the friggin highway, ya got to take yer eyes off the road to read the dam things,

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why don't you fight the ticket? You were stopped at the light, you weren't texting. Phone records will state message received or sent. I cant fathom how looking at your phone to read "dont forget the milk" or whatever warrants a ticket in the circumstances described in the op.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't take a genius to figure out 175 bux is hardly worth missing a day from work, and the cost involved in trying to fight it. If it was a grand or 2 then I'd certainly fight it and gladly give them my phone records showing my last text 2 hours prior, and the one received when I got pulled over lol

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take no offense to the comment Med, what I was trying to get across is the fact that they price these tickets that way for a reason, because not many will take it to court for what it's worth, that's how they fill their coffers, if the ticket price was say 1200 bucks , the courts would be full of people fighting traffic bilaws.
Obviously if you see someone with their phone held to their head while driving, it's clear cut, who's to say I wasn't reaching for my lighter , or setting my coffee cup back in the center console?
Last I checked there was only 1 camera in my truck, and it's attached to the tailgate, explain to me how someone in a little dodge charger with cherries on it following me can see through a tinted black window into the front seat of a crew cab 1 tonne, considering I couldn't see anything but his lights on the roof.
Guess because I turned my head while parked and looked at my phone, that warrants a ticket.
Anyways it is what it is, a bs call by a cocky little wiennie with a badge, city doing cleanup musta needed the money more then I did :)

Top Bottom