Corbin conditions?

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Just rode corbin yesterday. Trail in is good from the parking lot. Went up into Barnes. Decent coverage but getting fairly wind blown in there. Still some debris to watch out for. Dropped over the top of limestone down the big long shoot towards geromes and found very nice snow down there in the trees. Creek botoms are stil brutal with the fallen trees still big hazards. A few more good dumps and everytghing of concern should be covered. It was deffinetly worth a ride. Average of 3-4' everywhere. Was snowing hard at fire lake when we left so that can only be good right.

700modd

Reaction score
Rode rolling hills on Sunday rode untouched snow all day long about 3' ... wicked day !!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 796

HAYDENC

Reaction score
snow was deep! even on the trail and along the pipeline snow was constantly over the hood. the more you ventured off the deeper it got!

chedder

Reaction score
Out yesterday. Snow is incredibly deep! About a dozen guys into the big play area so it got a bit tracked up but still tons of fresh. Way too easy to get stuck in the trees! Great day

Merry Christmas all.

Newfie1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Staged at the Corbin mine today.Trail was good. Went in to Barnes then over to Limestone, that trail was ok. I pulled out the gromer hope it was smother for the old guys. hehehe. Nice snow but thin. Lots of mines. Took a quick shot in to Rainguage same there. Need more snow. But OK for first ride of the year. One of the guys lost a piston on Doo .Hope a stuck ring cause no one has a piston. Hard to believe for a 08 800 doo.
Maybe we will try pipe line tommorow.

bcm27

Reaction score
Me and a buddy are going to be riding from coal creek on saturday and was wondering if we could join up with a group or if anyone wants to join us as we don't know the area very well. Thanks!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Me and a buddy are going to be riding from coal creek on saturday and was wondering if we could join up with a group or if anyone wants to join us as we don't know the area very well. Thanks!

Billy, you may want to put this in the Kootenay section as in reality there is a little more traffic there for the Fernie area. Good luck and sorry I couldn't help you out.

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
Rode corbin Saturday & Sunday, at most 20cm of fresh snow, drifted to 40cm deep in a few select areas. Not the 60cm that was promised for sure! Most of the alpine was windblown hard pack, lots of cornices up high too.

Trail in from Fernie was groomed only to the first cabin, after that, whooped out. They shouldn't be charging trail fees if they're not going to groom it.

We had a 2012 Polaris shear off a gear way back in the Rolling hills on Saturday afternoon. Took us 6 hours to get it out the 20+ km. The whoops on the trail out destroyed tail lights and all the tow straps. We saw the groomer out on Sunday, hopefully they groom all the way to wranglers cabin this time!

signedge

Reaction score
I agree that trail was brutal. Not sure why they never groomed it. Maybe they just don't. The new cabin how ever looks great. Excellent job and koodos for those involved in getting it up.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if they do groom to the Wranglers cabin?

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes was there on Saturday and it was groomed all the way to Wranglers Cabin

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Rode corbin Saturday & Sunday, at most 20cm of fresh snow, drifted to 40cm deep in a few select areas. Not the 60cm that was promised for sure! Most of the alpine was windblown hard pack, lots of cornices up high too.

Trail in from Fernie was groomed only to the first cabin, after that, whooped out. They shouldn't be charging trail fees if they're not going to groom it.

We had a 2012 Polaris shear off a gear way back in the Rolling hills on Saturday afternoon. Took us 6 hours to get it out the 20+ km. The whoops on the trail out destroyed tail lights and all the tow straps. We saw the groomer out on Sunday, hopefully they groom all the way to wranglers cabin this time!

Yep, jump all over the grooming! To the first cabin (the Rolling Hills cabin) is 17 kms to the Wrangler's is another 7 km. $10 for a trail pass and you are complaining about 7 kms? The destruction on the way out maybe could have been because of speed? Do you remember what it was like before any grooming took place?

The trail to the Rolling Hills cabin is on a FSR with a hard base and it holds up very well until about 100 sleds pound it out. The trail in between the two cabins is built on alders and small trees. (It was part of the condition of being able to construct that trail through there. Land use is a complicated issue and until one spends some time at the "table" or in negotiations with the various levels of government it is hard to understand.) It is difficult if not impossible to compact that piece of trail to the consistency of a FSR. The weight of the front end of the sleds just pushes the snow down and creates the moguls. It gets better or should I say more compacted as the season goes along.

We have had some mechanical/electrical issues the last couple of weeks and we work our hearts out to keep the trail in good shape.

If you read all the information and look at the grooming report at FERNIESNOWMOBILE.COM you will see that we groom twice a week to the Wrangler's cabin (Monday's and Friday's). We groom 3 times a week and the Wednesday groom goes to the Rolling Hills cabin with a trip up either Matheson or Marten. We groom at night time to make the most of the lower temps, less traffic and better set-up times and all the operators go to work the next day. Come out and volunteer enough to get a regular grooming position and learn the ins and outs of grooming.

Hope I laid out the facts and didn't rake you too much……..it isn't the grooming that is the problem!

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ferniesnow I thought the trail was in suberb shape for the amount of snow . Colder temps certainly have made it set up well. The young lad would like to thank you A. for the nice warm cabin B. for the nice groomed trail from Coal Creek to Wranglers ! P.S now back to the proper section Kootenay area. LOL

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ferniesnow I thought the trail was in suberb shape for the amount of snow . Colder temps certainly have made it set up well. The young lad would like to thank you A. for the nice warm cabin B. for the nice groomed trail from Coal Creek to Wranglers ! P.S now back to the proper section Kootenay area. LOL

Thanks kind sir. The gremlins are still haunting us; last night I had no blade from the second last bridge and a tremendous track surge. I turned around at the Rolling Hills cabin and limped back to Fernie. So the 7 km to Wrangler's wasn't groomed last night. That's the way the cookie crumbles some days!

Top Bottom