Cataract 2011/12

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Valentines Day.....not happy about that. I would'a gone calgarysledguy.

I know i forgot about Valentines day untill on my way home from work.Was thinking maybe a bad idea.I told my hunny i might go sledding and she was fine with that.But didnt find no one to go with.Next time.

Reaction score
I would like to head out there on Saturday moring if anyone is in. I live just outside of Aldersyde, I can haul 5 sleds in my enclosed if anyone is interested in going? I need to run my sled with the new add ons before I head to the steep and deep. Looks like there should be enough snow to go for a ripe with the 3 inch track. As long as the trail has some new snow on it.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Wiz. I live in Ravencrest Village. A few of us are heading out to Cataract on Sunday. Some of the guys are heading there for a family ride. My wife and daughter can't go so I'm heading there for a ride to seat my pistons and rings.

Reaction score
Hey Mac,
Small world I live south across the 547. I have also recently done some wrenching and would like to work the bugs out close to home if any. Be great to have some company,

Last edited:

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Mac,
Small world I live south across the 547 in Silvertip Ranch. I have also recently done some wrenching and would like to work the bugs out close to home if any. Be great to have some company,

If ya don't mind a newb along (I'm a flatlander by trade) I'd like to get used to this damn 155 inch track...... :)

I may try to drop in on ya.

02 Summit

Reaction score
How much snow did cataract get in this last snowfall we got in calgary yesterday? Debating where to ride this weekend

Reaction score
Morning DYS,
I dont mind if you are new to the mountians at all. I am taking my sled out for the first time after meeting Justin in West Yellowstone to work with me on my turbo so I might have to add weight to my clutch etc. this weekends ride. So as long as you dont mind if I wrench for 15 here or there Im good with helping you out if you get stuck. Don't get me wrong I will not be pulling wrenches all day but might during lunch breaks. Hopefully there is enough snow in the hills for us too get stuck the 3in track does not like running on hard pack much. I have 3 spots in the trailer as of this morning, so thus far it would be you and I possible a buddy. He has mentioned the pipe line or fernie as well and you are ore than welcome to join if we head there as well. I dont know that area so if he does not come I will stick with Catarac.

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Wiz! Let me know if your doing Cataract as the day gets closer and I can let you know!

sledrookie

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any advice for a bunch of rookies heading out to cataract this weekend, places to go, not to go? Sleds are ranging from 500 to 800, and guys with little to moderate experience out of the ditches and into the hills.

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading there Saturday with the family unloading at Etherington and going south from there. If there are any families that want to ride together we will be there Saturday around 10-10:30. Do they still have trail maps at the Staging area?

sapper33

Reaction score
I'm looking at heading out this weekend as well, would like to take it easy. Only got on a sled the first time this year, and so far I've been limited to a few hundred km on a cleared pipeline ROW up north this winter, not exactly the best snow. So I'm eager to get out and play/learn in some real snow.

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They had some maps there earlier in the year not sure about now.
Here's a couple that you can print off full size if you like. --
Cataract1.jpg

Cataract.jpg

Gromit

Reaction score
Yesterday morning, we staged at Etherington and then went over the Fording Pass into the BC side. The trails are snow covered but whooped out on the AB side. The shale trail was extremely windy, blowing snow with quite a few bare patches but once we got over that and into the treed trails, it was snowing and there was fresh snow and some powder on the trails. Once you got further in the BC side, there was powder in the trees - if you got off your sled, you sunk up to your chest. The avy bulletin was considerable yesterday for that area so we really picked and chose where where we did or didn't go. It also got colder the further west you went and was snowing more heavily.

With a few more sunny, warm days, the usual places that become bare on the trail that we took on the AB side, will be just that. We didn't go south at all so I can't comment on those trails.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took a blast up oyster today. Fresh snow the whole way and no tracks it was beauty. There was a lot of sleds towards the end of skyline tho. It was snowing heavy when we left, I was very surprised to see that much fresh from last weekend.

Top Bottom