Cataract 2011/12

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
trails are getting beat up.

A quick note to those who cross over the pass into BC. Take the time to figure out what areas are out of bounds. We saw a group highmark one hill just after the shale and then the back side of that mountain when they were in the bc side. Both are out of bounds.

If you ayholes keep doing that, we are going to lose our riding areas.

I didn't know you couldn't go up the BC side of the mountain.It WASN'T me buy the way.Just Asking about it.I thought once you were on the BC side (out of the Don Getty park it was Game On).Your talking about the first mountain you come up to on the right hand side that always slides?
DSC01255.jpg

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are on the slope shown by calgarysledguy, you are still on the AB side of the pass and you are NOT allowed on it.

additionally, that hill SLIDES ALL THE TIME, so if you are on it, you're an idoit.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are on the slope shown by calgarysledguy, you are still on the AB side of the pass and you are NOT allowed on it.

additionally, that hill SLIDES ALL THE TIME, so if you are on it, you're an idoit.
Fording:Cataract Map.jpg
This is a shot of the map of the area from the Elkford Snowmobile Assoc.

Attachments

• Elkford:Cataract Map.jpg
    Elkford:Cataract Map.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:

nathan

Reaction score
I was told that you were allowed riding up there(in the pic).... Buy a guy at the bottom of the hill, who said he rides there everyweekend.
it was my first time there.. pretty much always go through to BC but didnt have time this weekend.. To bad I'm an idiot I guess. as well as the two guys I was with that have been riding there for 15+ years.. I will fill them in also didnt realize they were idiots.... And every hill slides, dont want to burst you precious little bubble.. If you base your entire life of riding, on the fact that, that hill always slides, you should keep it in the hay fields. You ride smart, and ride with smart people, and you have an enjoyable safe time...
But I guess there is always the option of ragging on people who make simple mistakes, and throwing out slanderous remarks..
Thanks for that..!
Sure does make you look like the bigger one here.. Maybe next time you could pop over and say "hey pretty sure this place is out of bounds... just a heads up.. wouldnt want to see a fellow sledder in hot water for an honest mistake"...
But then again you could always take your approach.. maybe everyone should.... then maybe we could get some stars and stripes for our provincial flag...

Regards
Nathan the idiot...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told that you were allowed riding up there(in the pic).... Buy a guy at the bottom of the hill, who said he rides there everyweekend.
it was my first time there.. pretty much always go through to BC but didnt have time this weekend.. To bad I'm an idiot I guess. as well as the two guys I was with that have been riding there for 15+ years.. I will fill them in also didnt realize they were idiots.... And every hill slides, dont want to burst you precious little bubble.. If you base your entire life of riding, on the fact that, that hill always slides, you should keep it in the hay fields. You ride smart, and ride with smart people, and you have an enjoyable safe time...
But I guess there is always the option of ragging on people who make simple mistakes, and throwing out slanderous remarks..
Thanks for that..!
Sure does make you look like the bigger one here.. Maybe next time you could pop over and say "hey pretty sure this place is out of bounds... just a heads up.. wouldnt want to see a fellow sledder in hot water for an honest mistake"...
But then again you could always take your approach.. maybe everyone should.... then maybe we could get some stars and stripes for our provincial flag...

Regards
Nathan the idiot...

If someone that rides the area every weekend says that a particular hill slides all the time then you should maybe listen. I don't think he was calling you out per say but making a generalization for everyone out there that the hill is off limits x2. Just sayin'.....

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that..!

Regards
Nathan the idiot...

maybe you should also learn how to read a map so you know what is out of bounds and what isn't before you go to a new area. just beacuse someone thinks an area is legal, doesn't mean it is. maybe it has changed over the past 15yrs and these guys haven't bothered to look either. like you said, ride with smart people.

and some hills are more prone to avalanches, this is one of them because of the wind loading that occurs on it. i've climbed a lot of hills, and even if this was in bounds i wouldn't climb it. not only because it is sketchy at the best of times, but the huge rocks that are just under the surface of the snow.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought it was common knowledge that the mountain right after the shale was out of bounds but maybe "ayeholes" was too strong a term. It defintaley is out of bounds.

The back side of that mountain is also out of bounds and we watched three sleds at a time highmarking it during the afternoon. The tracks left behind are ammunition for the greenies to take away that whole valley. That valley is the closest mountian play area we have and it would be a shame to lose it.

Last edited:

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that..!

Regards
Nathan the idiot...

Nathan,

Props to you for coming here and owning your mistake. Lots of guys wouldn't do that:thumb: I'm sure if you would have known that it was out of bounds you wouldn't have hit that particular slope...even though you maybe shouldn't have gone up it due to the avy risks and conditions at the time. Everyone makes mistake...you just have to minimize them to ensure yours and everyone elses safety:D

bennito

Reaction score
Thanks for that..!

Regards
Nathan the idiot...
dont worry buddy i think everyone who goes over fording is an ahole for poaching my lines lol

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at the map... what's the point of going over the pass? A slightly harder trail ride? It appears to be restricted everywhere on that side. Might as well just stick to the AB side or make the drive to Elkford to ride bigger stuff.
I have been up to the pass once but there wasn't much snow and I didn't like riding over shale very much. Never made it to the other side.

BTW.

Thinking of doing a family ride on the 11th. What are conditions like at Cataract?

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was on the trail yesterday with the boy - thanks to the advice of guys in here (thanks again gentlemen) - we went straight south of the parking lot and it was fine, especially for a family run.....we had the old 1980 Enticers and it was a riot. Superbowl left the trails empty....good thing we didn't break down or get stuck! these things have 1/2 inch tracks at best!! LOL

Heading back this weekend with a few more Enticer buddies.....

Jake Feb 5 2012.jpg

Last edited:

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
Dyslexic,

Did you take off from Etherington or Catatrac?
This photo is perfect ammo for me to convince a few buddies with the smaller Enticers etc that it is NOT all doom and gloom if they take their sleds out of the ditches and canals to ride!

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right out of Cataract.....I went there cause there's no snow to ditch run by Langdon!!

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
Got that right! ... could have left the sleds in storage and been quadding! LOL! .... you can get to some very cool places by sled tho'!:cool:

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was out again with the boy and another buddy with an Enticer340. Unfortunately he cranked a couple trees, actually his sled did as he wasn't on it when they hit...OMG........LMAFO.....good thing it was near the end of the ride....he still rode out!! Just needs a new ski and some body work! hahaha....

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enough snow to ride, but really need a good dump. Trail getting thinner.

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valentines Day.....not happy about that. I would'a gone calgarysledguy.

Top Bottom