Cataract Creek condition and concerns for the 2021/22 season

EldestEldo

Reaction score
I’ll be out at Cataract on Saturday with my snow bike. There should be a few people from the Calgary Snow Mobile club. Club is going to try to groom if it cools down

EldestEldo

Reaction score
Trail out of Cataract parking was getting thin with some rock mixed in, once you got a couple km back and started climbing it was fine. Trails were soft and mostly not whooped up yet.

EldestEldo

Reaction score
Anyone riding this weekend? Thinking of heading out Saturday,

Would plan on being there to start riding by 9:00. On a snowbike

Grouser

Reaction score
Was out there today. About an inch of fresh. Good base but pretty bumpy on some of the trails. I continue to be amazed at the beauty of this area. Checked in at the new cabin, well stocked and clean as a whistle. An amazing addition to the system.

Attachments

• 20220125_105740.jpg
    20220125_105740.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 242
Reaction score
I've never been, but am thinking about bringing the family out for a ride. Where would the best place to stay be? I assume parking shouldn't be an issue with a 4 place enclosed?

EldestEldo

Reaction score
I've never been, but am thinking about bringing the family out for a ride. Where would the best place to stay be? I assume parking shouldn't be an issue with a 4 place enclosed?
Probably best to see if you can find a bed and breakfast somewhere close by. Very limited accommodations in Longview which is the closest town. Parking lot at Etherington and Cataract Creek staging areas are both good sized, but get pretty full on weekends so try to get there early.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably best to see if you can find a bed and breakfast somewhere close by. Very limited accommodations in Longview which is the closest town. Parking lot at Etherington and Cataract Creek staging areas are both good sized, but get pretty full on weekends so try to get there early.
High River is your closest motel probably with amenities

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The coffee shop were the old stake house, by the gas station, is the best

The Longview steak house has the best eats around.

If your staying in the area, stay at Longview. It’s a blast from the past.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The coffee shop were the old stake house, by the gas station, is the best

The Longview steak house has the best eats around.

If your staying in the area, stay at Longview. It’s a blast from the past.
A buddy told me the Steak House is booked months in advance. Anyone have the inside on that?

Travco28

Reaction score
Yes it is . But if you can be put on a list to call when there is a cancelation. You might get lucky .
They were doing takeout pizza from the old location , Not sure if there sill doing that . Never got to try it myself but heard its worth the drive. Theres also a realy good coffee bakery in the south end . Cant remember the name .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is . But if you can be put on a list to call when there is a cancelation. You might get lucky .
They were doing takeout pizza from the old location , Not sure if there sill doing that . Never got to try it myself but heard its worth the drive. Theres also a realy good coffee bakery in the south end . Cant remember the name .
We drove by on our way back from camping at Peter Lougheed Park last summer. First time I'd seen the new steak house. Seems like there is a bit more infrastructure there than the last time I was through there years ago.

Reklaw

Reaction score
is the 541 closed? googles trying to tell me I have to go south to maycroft....

EldestEldo

Reaction score
The staging areas are Etherington on the right shortly after you turn south onto 940, or Cataract Creek, also on the right just before the road closure on 940

Top Bottom