Cataract 2011/12

sapper33

Reaction score
Made it out Saturday, and a big thanks to Dave and Mike for helping dig/pull me out, and for letting me tag along to learn the trails!

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could'nt go to Atlas on Saturday as I got called to work....:nono:......did make a run with the boy on Sunday and the morning was fine, but the afternoon was sloppy. Hope that snowfall warning that CalgarySledGuy was mentioning hits hard out there.....and thanks again to the group of guys on the big 800's for pulling my old sled out of that ravine!! LMAO.....gotta get me a BunjeCord.....

really, the snowmobile community rocks. They didn't even blink when i came to the parking lot and asked for help (two Polaris' and a Cat)......

:Snowmobile1:

LOL! That was our group, I was the guy on the M8. Not a problem at all, always glad to help a fellow sledder.

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL! That was our group, I was the guy on the M8. Not a problem at all, always glad to help a fellow sledder.

Hilarious......thanks again! We still got to ride at the end of the day too! Now he's trying to side hill his ET300 and stands two feet on the running boards while trying to tilt it....and guess what he wants....an M8....LOL

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone heading out tomorrow with this fresh falling?

Wish I could so I could give the new-to-me 2011 Summit X a ride. Looks like there will be lots of snow.
I'm heading to Fernie on Wed evening for a few days of riding though so I can't complain too much...

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hilarious......thanks again! We still got to ride at the end of the day too! Now he's trying to side hill his ET300 and stands two feet on the running boards while trying to tilt it....and guess what he wants....an M8....LOL

Atta boy! Looked like he was having a riot on that sled. Will be an awesome rider once he is older after practicing for that long.

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone going out to Cataract this Saturday wanna show a newb around? I just checked the forecast and it doesn't look like this snow isn't going to last long.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone rode out at Cataract this week? Curious what the conditions are like.

Was out today. Trail is bumpy, pass is wind swept, lots of bare spots on trail.Backside is okay but of note is the very unstable snowpack. Check avi bullitens but realize its going to be awhile till the conditions stabilize. We triggered 3 remote large slides on the valentines surface hoar. It was expected, we played safe knowing conditions after banffs huge avi events earlier this week.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Was out today. Trail is bumpy, pass is wind swept, lots of bare spots on trail.Backside is okay but of note is the very unstable snowpack. Check avi bullitens but realize its going to be awhile till the conditions stabilize. We triggered 3 remote large slides on the valentines surface hoar. It was expected, we played safe knowing conditions after banffs huge avi events earlier this week.

Hey teamdirt

Just wondering how you played safe knowing that the avy condition is at HIGH (assuming you checked the avy report cause your telling others to) and then triggering 3 remote large slides. Quote(IT WAS EXPECTED)REALLY then why the heck would you go on the hills know this info.Especialy after setting off the first slide wouldn't that be a big sign to stay off the hills and not start two more.Not sure how that is playing it safe. The only way i see ya playing it safe in what you typed is if you used a some kind of gun or something to trigger these avys off and weren't near them.

Not trying to be a dick or anything just trying to figure it out.I think it would only take one slide for me to crap my pants.Just like the one we triggered last week but didn't even go on the hill just beside it .Its on page 29....Maybe im reading into this wrong.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey teamdirt

Just wondering how you played safe knowing that the avy condition is at HIGH (assuming you checked the avy report cause your telling others to) and then triggering 3 remote large slides. Quote(IT WAS EXPECTED)REALLY then why the heck would you go on the hills know this info.Especialy after setting off the first slide wouldn't that be a big sign to stay off the hills and not start two more.Not sure how that is playing it safe. The only way i see ya playing it safe in what you typed is if you used a some kind of gun or something to trigger these avys off and weren't near them.

Not trying to be a dick or anything just trying to figure it out.I think it would only take one slide for me to crap my pants.Just like the one we triggered last week but didn't even go on the hill just beside it .Its on page 29....Maybe im reading into this wrong.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not a sledder. I'm actually an avalanche ski professional in the industry with 15 years experience. We were in the area collecting data and are very experienced with travel in avalanche terrain. It's part of our job to safely do what we do.

For your info:
Remote trigger means that a local disruption in the snow pack travelled to another location in the distance to disrupt that snowpack. In this case movement in our snow plot in thick treed low angle terrain triggered a simultaneous disruption in the snowpack at a distance which caused a settlement and slide on an adjacent ridge. Meaning we were no where near the avalanches.

At no time on our travels in, out, and in the area were we in an avalanche path or run out zone. Safe travel in complex conditions and terrain is possible with proper experience and education.

Last edited:

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the reply. I'm not a sledder. I'm actually an avalanche ski professional in the industry with 15 years experience. We were in the area collecting data and are very experienced with travel in avalanche terrain. It's part of our job to safely do what we do.

For your info:
Remote trigger means that a local disruption in the snow pack travelled to another location in the distance to disrupt that snowpack. In this case movement in our snow plot in thick treed low angle terrain triggered a simultaneous disruption in the snowpack at a distance which caused a settlement and slide on an adjacent ridge. Meaning we were no where near the avalanches.

At no time on our travels in, out, and in the area were we in an avalanche path or run out zone. Safe travel in complex conditions and terrain is possible with proper experience and education.

Thanks for the reply.You have any pictures of these?

Cat Man

Reaction score
Ya I guess duh!! Lol, never even knew this place existed until I read about it here, might have to go check it out.

toyz

Reaction score
heading out for a ride saturday morning, hope there is enought snow.

Top Bottom