Camper Project

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
you should take your old truck camper to her Glen, maybe she can work some magic on it for you.

We bought a newer camper this weekend Tyler. May have to take the old one on a one way trip to the dump. I need the trailer that it is sitting on now

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of buying for the future as well. I've been looking at small AC units to put into the camper. From all the work I've put into it I know it gets hot as eff in there mid day, lol. I know Honda's are the name for small engines but at this price I'm saving at least a grand from buying new.

Thank you but I think I'll stick this route. it's a 2015/2016 Yamaha generator with 12hrs on it for a good price.

Nobody wishes they had a smaller generator... It might be a little heavier but you'll probably be happier in the long run, especially if you're mounting it to the trailer anyway.
Like others have said, lock that chit down solid to keep the would be douche canoes from stealing your stuff.
Super cool project and I hope you get to enjoy it soon.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mentioned no batteries? Does that mean you will need to run the Genny all night for the furnace? I would throw in at least one batt to run lights and furnace at night time.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You mentioned no batteries? Does that mean you will need to run the Genny all night for the furnace? I would throw in at least one batt to run lights and furnace at night time.

Yeah there are no batteries at all. I might have to do that. However my dilemma is when I use it in the winter. I run a big risk of the battery splitting when I leave the rig in revy due to the cold.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to say, a 3000 Watt with idle down would be better

Cause if Krista needs to use in winter a ceramic heater as extra heat, it will be able to keep up to it all

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to say, a 3000 Watt with idle down would be better

Cause if Krista needs to use in winter a ceramic heater as extra heat, it will be able to keep up to it all

I'm 90% going with a generator and 50% maybe on adding one battery. My only other dilemma for this working in the winter too is getting my gear dry enough.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I vote 12 volt (or two 6 volt) for summer. Take them out for winter and use the Genny then

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah there are no batteries at all. I might have to do that. However my dilemma is when I use it in the winter. I run a big risk of the battery splitting when I leave the rig in revy due to the cold.
Do you take the battery out of your truck because your afraid it will split? LOL
Seriously though, as long as battery is charged it shouldnt split open. Lots of sled trailers around with batteries in them.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We leave batteries in everything in cold storage at the farm over winter. Revy is a heck of a lot warmer in the winter than southern Alberta most of the time. I think you would be fine Krista.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Like said before. If it's charged up the battery won't freeze
Make sure that generator box is water tight. But you'll have to have some way to exhaust and fresh air intake as well. Could be tricky to keep it cool as well. And keep thieves from stealing it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Like said before. If it's charged up the battery won't freeze
Make sure that generator box is water tight. But you'll have to have some way to exhaust and fresh air intake as well. Could be tricky to keep it cool as well. And keep thieves from stealing it.
Expanded metal or diamond grating for the heat/exhaust/intake

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those times when all you need power for is lighting it's nice to have a battery(ies).

The genny can't be too boxed in or it will be hot but too open and it will be destroyed by salt in the winter. Maybe a travel cover?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your new genny is not an inverter you will be praying for batteries with it mounted as you are proposing. It will be too loud to think, let alone sleep. Charged batts don't freeze.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the generator I bought last night. The only reason I was worried about the batteries splitting was because it happened before. Yes I know BC is warmer but it was a concern, if I just need to use a light I do have a good lantern so figured this generator was a good option that I won't have to upgrade in the future if I get a nicer trailer and AC or anything like that.

EF3000iSE_1.png

I was thinking of how to box it in on the trailer last night and think this would work pretty well. I would just open up the front and lid while it was running to ensure a good air flow. If it has to be water/salt/etc tight then I could also get an enclosed box or something that I can put on it that I just lift off to run. Other option would be to put it at the back of the trailer by the door which would help keep it safe from road debris.

IMG_1018.JPG

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good genny and should be good and quiet. Also it is big enough to run AC on this or a future RV. (I still have my Yammy 2600i even though I don't really need it with my current RV....it's just too good of a unit to get rid of though. I used to set it up right below my slide on one of my trailers and let it run all night, no issues)

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mount it on rubber mounts. If bolted down solid to your trailer deck it will shake you out of that trailer with vibration and noise. Mount it on those foam rubber soft hockey pucks that are used indoors. I was in a club members trailer this year and it was bad. He had a 1000 Honda running the big lights mounted solid. Real noisy and vibration from that genie.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Krista i have same genset and if i leave it on ground right be side trailer it actually is a nice hum that puts you to sleep. Runs all night and still has gas in it in morning. Mine has a auto command start on it so i push a button in trailer to start or stop it. Never have to go out late at night to shut off or out early morning to start it up.. Runs coffee maker and microwave at same time. Will run ac if thats all it is running. Very happy with mine for last 7 yrs. Pete

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Krista i have same genset and if i leave it on ground right be side trailer it actually is a nice hum that puts you to sleep. Runs all night and still has gas in it in morning. Mine has a auto command start on it so i push a button in trailer to start or stop it. Never have to go out late at night to shut off or out early morning to start it up.. Runs coffee maker and microwave at same time. Will run ac if thats all it is running. Very happy with mine for last 7 yrs. Pete

Thats good to know! Test run with the camper this weekend, I am very excited! Since I can't lift it alone I'll just leave it in my truck but am working on getting a custom box made for the tongue of my trailer. :) Have a great weekend everyone!

Top Bottom