Camper Project

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the generator I bought last night. The only reason I was worried about the batteries splitting was because it happened before. Yes I know BC is warmer but it was a concern, if I just need to use a light I do have a good lantern so figured this generator was a good option that I won't have to upgrade in the future if I get a nicer trailer and AC or anything like that.

View attachment 205367

I was thinking of how to box it in on the trailer last night and think this would work pretty well. I would just open up the front and lid while it was running to ensure a good air flow. If it has to be water/salt/etc tight then I could also get an enclosed box or something that I can put on it that I just lift off to run. Other option would be to put it at the back of the trailer by the door which would help keep it safe from road debris.

View attachment 205368
Used to have the Same unit as you just bought. You will be very pleased with it. What I would do is make a dry compartment that you can store it in an a ramp that you can roll it in an out. Like Dave and Pete say just set it up on the ground next to your trailer and let it run. Jusl be sure to set it on level ground or you will encounter issues with the oil level switch shutting you down.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used to have the Same unit as you just bought. You will be very pleased with it. What I would do is make a dry compartment that you can store it in an a ramp that you can roll it in an out. Like Dave and Pete say just set it up on the ground next to your trailer and let it run. Jusl be sure to set it on level ground or you will encounter issues with the oil level switch shutting you down.

Thanks but I think for having to do it alone I'd rather just have a storage box for it to sit in I can open up and let it run. I'll post pics when I'm done. Bending up the metal for it today

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep it secure, so no one steals it at nite or when you're away... lock it up ;)

I have a thick alarmed cable lock on it, a bike lock and two ratchet straps right now haha. When it's in the box I'll be using metal strapping to strap it down as well as have it locked inside when not in use.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a thick alarmed cable lock on it, a bike lock and two ratchet straps right now haha. When it's in the box I'll be using metal strapping to strap it down as well as have it locked inside when not in use.

I like Glen's suggestion too of putting rubber mounts or a rubber mat underneath it to lessen the vibration through the trailer!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like Glen's suggestion too of putting rubber mounts or a rubber mat underneath it to lessen the vibration through the trailer!

I've got an old anti-fatigue mat that will be going in the bottom.

Well had a good virgin trip in the rig. The fire restriction turned into a fire ban but with a generator and some lights it was no problem. As far as the dust in the dog run area on a dirt road, yes it gets in there, but it's not horrible. Nothing a quick sweep out can't handle. Once the generator box is finished I'll post a pic of it. Going to be a good design. Had a friend look at the trailer and he thinks that the lift the guy I bought it off did is a bit sketchy, so I might take it over to Standens for them to have a look and price out a proper fix.

IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

20376104_10159097334980111_4903462039055107688_n.jpg

20374521_10159097334850111_5968242918486086893_n.jpg

20525449_10159097335080111_8445210345685433209_n.jpg

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I wish I had gone with my gut instinct originally and done this from the get go, but I decided to rip the bathroom out and make room for a wood stove. Wood heat is dryer and will help me dry my gear this winter. I'm trying to decide between the Grizzly Wood Stove and Newport Solid Fuel Heater.

The Grizzly is slightly larger and looks like a normal wood stove, the Newport is a marine wood stove and smaller. I'm leaning towards the Newport as they are a reputable manufacture, they have more complete kits and replacement parts readily available. I also like the fact that you can actually touch the sides of the stove while it's burning, so essentially it would be safer. I like the overall look of the Grizzly better and it is larger so should be a slightly longer burn time I can also use the top for cooking, boiling water etc, but the company is less established, they don't have complete kits and I feel that replacement parts would be difficult. I'm going to take this week to decide then start bending metal to cover the back walls, make shelving for wood and a gear drying area.

IMG_1432.JPG

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I've made my decision on which stove to go with. I'll be ordering the Newport Solid Fuel Heater. It's the most complete kit, it seems like the safest option and it will help me dry my gear. I still have the furnace and a ceramic heater as back up or to get the camper warm fast. Should be ordering today. Picked up my poo bucket, lol, good ol' Crappy tire :)

ALSO!! I think I figured out my snow roof...stay tuned. :)

NEWSF-smaller.jpg

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks great!
I hate it when people suggest chit when it's waaaay too late but if you ever lift that camper up again buy 2-4 sheets of Styrofoam SM and sandwich it between camper and trailer. It will make things way warmer. Your dog will love it too. Remember Insulation is not just for winter....it helps in the summer to keep things cooler too!

Again great work!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks great!
I hate it when people suggest chit when it's waaaay too late but if you ever lift that camper up again buy 2-4 sheets of Styrofoam SM and sandwich it between camper and trailer. It will make things way warmer. Your dog will love it too. Remember Insulation is not just for winter....it helps in the summer to keep things cooler too!

Again great work!

Funny, I had planned on that but I was too scared to crawl underneath it, lol. They were also doing me a huge favor so I didn't want to take anymore time than I had to.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Well I've made my decision on which stove to go with. I'll be ordering the Newport Solid Fuel Heater. It's the most complete kit, it seems like the safest option and it will help me dry my gear. I still have the furnace and a ceramic heater as back up or to get the camper warm fast. Should be ordering today. Picked up my poo bucket, lol, good ol' Crappy tire :)

ALSO!! I think I figured out my snow roof...stay tuned. :)

View attachment 206173

Dickenson is the best, that's the heater that is used in most marine vessels.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well my wood stove came in! The guys at work were pretty stoked to try it out so we had a little fire in it Friday. Still getting over pneumonia but had a very productive weekend. Got the snow roof up. Just need to put some more braces for transport and get some tin. I'll put the tin on in Revelstoke.

Working on bending up metal for the stove surround and then get that installed and I'll be ready to go! :)

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1534.JPG

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You joining the smokey bear home for lost souls in Revy this year?

Top Bottom